washing/waxing your 5ver

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Considering waxing your rig yourself? You might want to reconsider. It took 5 hours to wash, roof and sides. Then approx. 12 hours (not in a row) to wax the whole thing using two 10" elliptical waxers (one to add wax, one to remove wax).

Whew! I'm wiped out!

Erika

TravelTiger

Heck no. My arms don't work anymore. That $8 to $10 a foot at the Rally looks cheap, now!!!!!!!!

Here's a pic.
4b6c79d2-ff71-3887.jpg

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Color me nutty...but I enjoy waxing the Big Country. Takes me four or five days doing it in quarter sections. Gives me a chance to see everything up close like caulking etc. I use Rejex on the caps and usually Tech2 on the rest or sometimes NuFinish. Call it therapy! :rolleyes:

TravelTiger

If 1. I wasn't trying to get it done before we head to a National Rally in 3 days, 2. Hadn't forgotten my sunscreen and got badly burned, 3. Didnt have to dodge scorching 95 degree days, and 4. Was 50lbs lighter and 10 years younger,

Then ya, it would be nice. ;)

sjs731

I washed and waxed my 3300CK in aprrox. 7 hours one day. I used Rejex and it worked great. It was the first time I had done it with Rejex and didn't know how it would look so I followed the directions which said nothing about a buffer so i did it by hand just like they said. Arms would barely move the next day but it looked awesome. Black streaks wipe off like dust and bugs don't stick.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I had mine done at a rally last month at $10.00 a foot and it was worth it to sit back enjoy an adult coca-cola while the work was being done. My back, arms, never bothered me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I like my rig to be clean, but I'm not playing Karate Kid with it. A bucket of water, some RV Wash & Wax, a soft brush, and rinse. Shiny enough to my trifocals. In bright sunlight, the cataracts make every thing look brilliant, anyways.

TravelTiger

We have used the wash n wax before, but the weather seems to have taken a toll on our rig. Our decals are starting to have issues, and the whole thing looked a bit chalky. Decided a good ol fashion wax job was in store. Looked for the 3M cleaner/wax someone recommended, but could not find it. Ended up with Bass Pro Cleaner/Wax, made by Starbrite. Figuring I didn't have time or strength to wax by hand, I picked up a cpulple of TurtleWax orbital waxers from WalMart, so I could easily switch back and forth. (they require different bonnets for applying and removing wax, and adding/removing the bonnets was very difficult.)

My system was pretty efficient for one person, but it did take a while....

I am happy with the results so far. We'll see what she looks like after crossing multiple states to get to Gillette. ;)

wdk450

I take my dually diesel through a trucker's wash,and they were selling the Rain-X treatment. Does that mean it is pretty good stuff?

I wash mine with Rain-X car wash/wax...wash it on, rinse it off - seems to do a good job...

jtwhites85

Like I posted in another thread I did mine by hand as well with the 3M wax. It may be difficult to find but most boat dealers carry it. I started out trying the 2 buffer method but quickly found out that it actually was easier and faster to apply with a terry cloth rag, wipe off with a towel after haze appeared and then buff for a final finish. Also, tried using a 6” buffer for application and want to warn others that it was a mistake. That will cause more work to fix the finish than you want. Maybe it was me but I think the smaller diameter pad worked against me. Took me about 7 hours total in Texas springtime cool (relatively speaking). Only made the mistake of trying to wash the previous rig in August one time. Won’t do that again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I take my dually diesel through a trucker's wash,and they were selling the Rain-X treatment. Does that mean it is pretty good stuff?

I use the Blue Beacon Truck Wash often for both the truck and the trailer and get the Rain-X. Always shines the rigs up and lasts about a month in my experience. Your mileage may vary of course.

See my other method here also: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/31437-Use-of-303-Protectant-in-Lieu-of-Wax?p=249036#post249036