new vs used

divedreamer

Recently I found a Landmark Key Largo for sale. Obviously not too old, but used never the less. I also received a quote for a new Big Horn 3610RE maxed out for cold weather living. It was a bit cheaper than the Key Largo. I can't seem to find out 1) what the warranty is, 2) if the warranty on a used fifth wheel can be transferred and 3) can a new fifth be pulled with a gooseneck conversion and not lose warranty. I have to be on a new job in 21 days. Ergo the need for speed(y) answers. I would like to visit some owners in Gillette, but may have to decide on what to buy before I can get there. Also where do I find some sort of cheat sheet for things that I need to check out before I take possession? Thank you for any and all help.
Brad:confused:

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Recently I found a Landmark Key Largo for sale. Obviously not too old, but used never the less. I also received a quote for a new Big Horn 3610RE maxed out for cold weather living. It was a bit cheaper than the Key Largo. I can't seem to find out
1) what the warranty is, (New Is one year - extended plans can be purchased )
2) if the warranty on a used fifth wheel can be transferred (No Warranty on a used unit - if purchased from a dealer an extended warranty may be available)
3) can a new fifth be pulled with a gooseneck conversion and not lose warranty. (no help from me on this one)

I have to be on a new job in 21 days. Ergo the need for speed(y) answers. I would like to visit some owners in Gillette, but may have to decide on what to buy before I can get there. Also where do I find some sort of cheat sheet for things that I need to check out before I take possession? Thank you for any and all help.
Brad:confused:

Brad,

I purchased a used Rig last year and have had only minor issues with it. Compare the cost of the used rig with the cost of the same rig when it was new - keep in mind that MSRP is not what most people are paying.

Good luck on your purchase - and potentially welcome to the Heartland Family.

Kevin

danemayer

The Heartland warranty and many, if not all of the appliance warranties clearly state that they apply only to the original purchaser. Proof of purchase may be required to get warranty service.

Since there is no warranty for the 2nd owner, the gooseneck question is more about safety and wear & tear. I don't know the answer here, but perhaps others can weigh in.

Good Sam's extended warranty can be purchased on a used RV and in my experience is reasonably priced. It won't cover the entire RV, so you should read carefully to see what is covered and what is not. Same for any policy you're considering. I think the Good Sam policy is transferable.

Tombstonejim

When I bought my Big Country last month I got it with a gooseneck and there was another one parked next to mine that also had a goose neck hitch. I was assured by La Mesa that it had no effect on warranty.

The only glitch is they said it did not need safty chains. (pure lack of knowledge) But, I am putting those on myself as I probably would not like the way they did it anyway.

TXTiger

I considered buying a used RV also. Most of the used ones that were only a few years old were almost the same cost as a new one. Most of the used ones that were cheaper were several years old and pretty beat up. After I began looking at new ones and the discounts available I was able to find a new one at a price not much more than a used one that was in good condition and only a couple of years old. All dealers discount off the MSRP on new models. It was helpful going online and searching the internet for new prices.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Check the used one out thoroughly, Maintenance issues could quickly wipe out any savings over used. We considered used and ended up buying new but older North trail this spring. Saved us thousands over buying a new one of the current year and was less than used ones that were even older.

Rickhansen

I think I remember that Lippert voided their warranty on the frame and pin box should a gooseneck adapter be used, but they say the mind is the first thing to go.

Another notable in new versus used purchase decision if you're financing; If you are buying new, credit is generally easier to obtain because they see the MSRP as the value of the unit versus the purchase price meaning that the bank has more equity to start off. Subsequently the interest rate will generally be lower, potentially longer finance term, and probably lower monthly payments.

Bksvo

Another notable in new versus used purchase decision if you're financing; If you are buying new, credit is generally easier to obtain because they see the MSRP as the value of the unit versus the purchase price meaning that the bank has more equity to start off. Subsequently the interest rate will generally be lower, potentially longer finance term, and probably lower monthly payments.

This is how we ended up buying new. The financing was so attractive, it made it cheaper to buy new.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You mentioned that a new BH 3410 was priced slightly lower than the used Key Largo you were interested in. Not surprising since Landmarks tend to be top of the HL line and considerably more expensive. Many of the BH options are standard equipment on the Landmarks.