2012 Road Warrior Delaminating

bgassie

Attached are some photos of my 2012 Road Warrior 305 that has a possible delaminating problem. I first notice the problem when we got home from a 1500 mile round trip. You can only really see the problem a couple hours out of a day when the sun is shining directly onto the problem area. It does not appear that the fiberglass came delaminated from the wood backing because it is still rock solid and does not push in easy. At first I thought the aluminum stud running vertical in the problem area was welded a little out from the rest of the wall and causing the bulge to appear in the fiberglass. Then after looking into the problem more, it appears that the wood backing did not adhere to the aluminum stud that is running vertical. About a foot or so from the top I can take a few fingers and push very hard on the bulge and get it to push in just a little. When I do this and release the pressure you can hear a slight sound of the wood sticking and releasing.

I know that water leaks can cause delaminating but I do not believe this is my issues. There are no signs of water leaks on the inside and no damaged caulking where water could have intruded. I have owned the camper for 10 months and have inspected all caulking on the camper 4 times so far. Since the first week I have owned the camper I have found caulking that was in question so I repaired and that is the main reason it has been inspected so many times.

I would like to speak to someone with heartland to get their opinion on this issue and discuss possible repairs.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    619.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    623.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 129

Sandpirate69

I have a 2011, I will check mine. I have had caulking issues & I have repaired it. But thats strange. Contact HL & send them the photos.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We have that same looking impression on a wall of our Big Country although not quite as extreme. I thought it "printing" of something inside the walls. It doesn't push in and it seems like something so symmetrical would not be water intrusion. No leaks in that area. I am curious what you find out!

Best Wishes!

bgassie

I will keep you all posted. I sent the email first thing this morning and got a read receipt 10 minutes or so later, but have not received any reply. I have had good service from heartland on past minor issues and I hope they do not let me down on this one.

bgassie

Just spoke to a nice guy named Steve with Heartland about the issue. He said it does appear to be delaminating and they would repair it. I have 5 camping trips already booked till Labor Day weekend in September, but my warranty ends the beginning of August. So Heartland was even nice enough to let me wait till September to have the repair made.

Vtxkid

bgassie, if thats the case then I would find the leak which is very possibly where you rubber roof meets the front cap and temporarly seal it since your not taking the RV in for repair for a few months. Thats a pretty serious delam!

bgassie

bgassie, if thats the case then I would find the leak which is very possibly where you rubber roof meets the front cap and temporarly seal it since your not taking the RV in for repair for a few months. Thats a pretty serious delam!

Cannot find a leak. There are no signs of water on the inside and the caulking has been examined and all looks good.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Just spoke to a nice guy named Steve with Heartland about the issue. He said it does appear to be delaminating and they would repair it. I have 5 camping trips already booked till Labor Day weekend in September, but my warranty ends the beginning of August. So Heartland was even nice enough to let me wait till September to have the repair made.

Poop... I guess that means the door side of our BC is also delaminating as it looks like yours!

tmcran

Did ya get something in writing from HL re: extending the warranty? Just saying. I for one just like it in writing.

bgassie

Did ya get something in writing from HL re: extending the warranty? Just saying. I for one just like it in writing.

I am the same way. I requested an email stating the work will be done in September, but as of now I have not seen anything. If I do not see one by tomorrow I will give Steve a call back.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
HL keeps everything in "your file". We reported our delam back in September of 2011 (already out of warranty), but it was Jan 2012 before we could get it in the shop, examined and pictures taken with the window removed. I called and they had it in our "file" about the previous discussion. Sent pics, and HL offered to fix. After I sent HL the paid invoice, received a check within 2 weeks. We used an independent repair facility, not a HL dealer. HL shipped all the parts and decals to them. The body shop that did the repair only does RV work. They did a great job. I was very impressed.

(Oh and every time I had a phone conversation, I followed up with an email restating what was discussed, just to have an electronic record of it.)

E