Hanging 8' step ladder from frame

hillsonwheels

Seeking some input from some of you "pros". I'm considering hanging my 8' step ladder under my coach, at the back, just forward of the rear stabilizers. I currently carry a 6' ladder in the basement and, not only would I like to get it out of there, I'm finding that I no longer feel comfortable working off of it when washing/waxing the front cap any more when on the road.

Have any of you suspended a ladder from the frame of your coach? I'm interested in pros/cons/and suggestions as to how to go about pulling it off.

I've bought a few items that I feel will work (1/2" all thread, nuts, washers, and a piece of pipe hanger....can't recall what it's called). Did initial looksee today but thought I'd ask you folks for input before starting.

Dick

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I know that Ray LeTourneau was carrying his ladder under his rig at one time (maybe still is). Depends on whether or not you have the drop frame in front. I was carrying a Cosco folding extension ladder in my basement, but have replaced it with a 12.5ft Extend & Climb. Lighter and takes up less space. Very stable, too. (Unlike our FD 40ft "Ferriby" extension ladder which causes a major sphincter pinch when I have to use it).

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a ladder on the back of my trailer strapped down with a nylon webbed belt.

DSC_0583M.jpg Capture.JPG Ladder support.jpg Ladder closeup on trailer.JPG

Ladder on the back of the trailer.
Cosco Ladder from Walmart.
Ladder & lawn chair rack for back of camper ladder
Ladder on back of trailer close up showing web belt to tie down.

That's what I do..

BC

Lance & Jo

Have been carrying mine under the trailer for the last 2 years. Just put a couple pieces of unistrut across the back and hung the ladder from them. I use two ratchet straps from home depot and then a small piece of chain with lock just to ease my mind in case a strap lets go. Only takes a minute to get it down or put away.1. Ladder.JPG

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John is right, I did carry a ladder under the front area of the frame. When I installed JT stabilizers, the ladder and the supports interfered with the JT's so it was removed and moved to the rear like TXBobcat's. I don't know if there's enough room under the front of a drop framed trailer. I'd be a bit leery of a rear under mount mainly for clearance reasons but hey, it's your ladder.:rolleyes:

I still manage to carry a 6ft step ladder and 2 chairs on the rear. Now that I have front hydraulic legs, I may move it back under the front. My step ladder folds open to make an 11 ft. straight ladder and pretty stable, even with my B.A. on it. I even use it to access the roof.

Attachments

• 119-1903_IMG.JPG
    119-1903_IMG.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 119-1902_IMG.JPG
    119-1902_IMG.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 225

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a Little Giant ladder that I bought at Sears that I carry on the ladder.