Slider on screen door sticking, jamming.

RanCarr

The clear slider on one of our screen doors is sticking something awful. It wont slide back so we can reach/open the latch to go in or out. We have to give it a good rap to move it back. There is nothing in the track (we thought maybe a dead bug or twig) and it's not cocking. I oiled the track but the problem remains. What could be causing this? We can't see anything that can be causing this sticking.

danemayer

We don't have a NT, but on our screen door, there are screws on the ends of the door that hold the metal rails in place in the door frame. If you loosen the ones around the slider SLIGHTLY, and move the slider back and forth, the rails should realign themselves and eliminate the bind.

If it used to be ok, is there any chance someone put weight on the door frame while it was open? That would be my first guess as to how it might have happened.

stevebotts

We are having the same problem. Have decided that it was cut just a tab too short (top to bottom) allowing it to pop out whenever you close the door. We are going to try working on that when we have time.

RanCarr

We don't have a NT, but on our screen door, there are screws on the ends of the door that hold the metal rails in place in the door frame. If you loosen the ones around the slider SLIGHTLY, and move the slider back and forth, the rails should realign themselves and eliminate the bind.

OK, I'll take a look today and see if that may be the problem. :)

If it used to be OK, is there any chance someone put weight on the door frame while it was open? That would be my first guess as to how it might have happened.

It worked (slid) fine for over a year. Then suddenly when we were camping recently, it started to stick. It's only us, no children along, so no weight on the open door. Because of the cats we can't leave it open or they'd take themselves for a stroll. :eek:

RanCarr

We are having the same problem. Have decided that it was cut just a tab too short (top to bottom) allowing it to pop out whenever you close the door. We are going to try working on that when we have time.

Our don't pop out, it just wont slide to the left anymore as it's supposed to. That's why we thought a twig or bug or something was in the track. Then we checked to make sure it wasn't getting cocked in the track. We'll check the top and bottom rails and suggested above and see if that helps.

wdk450

I wouldn't use oil on sliding plastic - maybe graphite powder or dry teflon lube.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have heard that rubbing the ends with a plane bar of soap helps make things not stick.

CliffP

Ours also pops out if the door is shut by pulling on the knob for the slider. It pops right back in. We try to open the slider and pull on the frame to shut it. Not really an issue for us.

RanCarr, is the stationary side of the plastic popped out and obstructing the sliding part?

RanCarr

OK, I found the problem. The slider was still oiled, track was clean - but the slider window had bellied out just enough for the top to hit the ultra sticky Velcro above the slider that holds the thin plexiglass to the screendoor frame. It's like a storm window, both top and bottom of the screen door. The plexiglass or poly sheets are held in with Velcro to be removable. :D Tomorrow we will trim off the sliver of Velcro that touches the slightly bellied out part of the slide window, making it "stick." It was actually sticking to the Velcro, not getting stuck in the track. It look all these months before it bellied out enough to touch that small sticky sliver. One problem solved.... :)

RanCarr

I wouldn't use oil on sliding plastic - maybe graphite powder or dry teflon lube.

Graphite wasn't handy when the problem started in the CG. I used what I had on hand. A little oil remains at the bottom of the track. I removed most of it today.

RanCarr

Ours also pops out if the door is shut by pulling on the knob for the slider. It pops right back in. We try to open the slider and pull on the frame to shut it. Not really an issue for us.

RanCarr, is the stationary side of the plastic popped out and obstructing the sliding part?

No, the stationary part is fine. See my reply below as to what was making it stick. Neither slider will pop out of our screen door. I tried to remove the slider to better clean the track and bottom of slider, but couldn't get it out. I didn't want to force it and perhaps split it or do damage.

CliffP

No, the stationary part is fine. See my reply below as to what was making it stick. Neither slider will pop out of our screen door. I tried to remove the slider to better clean the track and bottom of slider, but couldn't get it out. I didn't want to force it and perhaps split it or do damage.

Didn't see your post, it must have come through while I was putting mine out. Glad you found the problem!:)

wdk450

I bought a 2nd white knob for pulling the door closed at a hardware supplier (Walmart?), and mounted it on the screen door frame above the slider, near the outside edge of the door. I try to pull on this knob instead of the slider knob when closing the door.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rancarr, I am glad that you where able to find the issue and hopefully get it corrected as planned. Maybe take a few pictures and post, so this issue might help others with there units.