Totally Frustrated

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm getting totally frustrated with Lippert and to some extent my dealership. Upon taking my trailer to a large Goodyear Tire shop (Fountain Tire), the technician noticed have wear on the inside of one tire and the outside of the other on the door side. He told me I have an axle problem and so I contacted my dealership. This all happened just after returning from the rally, mid June. Since then the dealership has been trying to get somewhere with Lippert and claims they never call back after leaving messages. I tried Lippert today and left a message, we'll see what happens. Our dealship has had 2 other Bighorns have axle breakdowns this summer. Lippert seems to be having a real quality problem and well as Service. We don't dare use our coach until this is straightened out.

Seems Lippert is right up there with the Chinese tires for quality in my humble opinion.

I have to keep hounding my dealer as well, we want to get out there and enjoy our couch.

Doug

Pulltab

I understand your frustration, but honestly if I was having that much problem with Lippert, I would order an axle from etrailerpart.com for $170 and put it in myself. Sometimes being without the toy is worse than making them fix it. Maybe afterwards you can fight with them about paying you back. They are not hard to change out and can easily be done in an afternoon by yourself or you and a buddy.

PS: Good choice on a tow vehicle. :)

Scott

When I read your post yesterday, I immediately contacted our service department and Lippert - here is the reply I just got from LCI:

Jim,
I talked to the dealership this afternoon; they have not previously contacted us regarding this unit. The customer is concerned about tire wear. I will be reviewing the information when it arrives.
The unit Vin # = 5372. I have also left a message with my contact information with the customer.

Brent Giggy

Hopefully, you are in contact with them now.

ST

DougLynne

Scott, thanks, Brent did call and left a message as my wife just missed the phone as she was coming in the door. Interesting that the dealer has not even called on this; as everytime I call them they say Lippert is not returning their call. Is this a problem dealership? It will be an interesting conversation next time I talk to them TODAY.

I returned Brent's call at 6:45 AM our time (8:45 Indiana time) and left a message. We await his return call...../Doug

khd995

I too have had and am having axle problems. I was very interested in what pull tab posted about just doing it yourself.

Pull tab If you are changing axles. What about swapping for 7,000 lb. axles, would that require changing more than just the axles, such as the hangers, brakes, etc.

Pulltab

I don't think you would find any difference. The main that that is different is the thickness of the axle tube. You would want to make sure you order the proper axle for over or under mounted springs. Also I would swap out both axles and not just one if going up in rating. If you want it just for the safety of knowing it is rated for 7000# you should not have to change anything else. Now if you are doing it to increase your loading, at the minimum you would need to change the springs. I would not try to uprate the capacity without checking with the factory about it though. Very likely there may be other things I have not considered.

You would also have to make sure you buy the same axle manufacturers axle is you want to swap the brakes and such. Fortunately Heartland uses the larger brakes and spindles on the 6000# axles. Normally I believe the 6k rates axles have 6 lug wheels.

Pulltab

cdbMidland said:
My 7,000# axles on my BH have an eight lug pattern.

Chuck
Yes I believe 8 lug is standard for a 7k axle. I was surprised to see that Heartland was using the same pattern and associated equipment on the 6K axle. Pleasingly surprised. :)

DougLynne

Brent from Lippert has responded very quickly and we are sending pictures to him. There seems to be a major communication problem with our dealership and Lippert.

I apologize to Lippert for questioning service. We are in the middle of a communication fiasco and we stepped in to get things happening and they are, hopefully we can get this resolved start enjoying the hot summer we are experiencing up here...../Doug

billd

Seems the dealers in general have communication problems unless it is who to write a check out too and the amount.

Bill

5erWonk

Pulltab said:
Yes I believe 8 lug is standard for a 7k axle. I was surprised to see that Heartland was using the same pattern and associated equipment on the 6K axle. Pleasingly surprised. :)

I've been wondering why my 3055 with a 14,000 GVWR only has 6K instead of 7K axles....Please tell me something very logical:confused: .

5erWonk said:
I've been wondering why my 3055 with a 14,000 GVWR only has 6K instead of 7K axles....Please tell me something very logical:confused: .

My bet would be that the engineers calculate 20% of over all weight on the pin (2800lbs). This would put the axel weights fully loaded at 11,200lbs.

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
5erWonk said:
I think that when you subtract the pin weight (greater than 2000 lbs.) from the 14,000 GVWR, your axles need to support less than 12,000 lbs. 12,000 divided by 2 axles = 6,000.

Country

Yes, you have to factor in your pin weight, but that doesn't leave much of a safety margin. Unless it's already built into the axle/wheel/tire max weight ratings...
I'm going to see about ordering mine with heavier running gear.

Uncle Rog

This is a little off the original subject, but my 3600 w/ 16k gross when I scaled her, loaded for bear so to speak, the axles were 12k #'s. Doing the math the whole rig was 15k#'s. I guess I could have put more stuff in her but I even had some things that I was storing in it to keep out of the house! With every thing being even I am satisfied with the axle to weight ratio........

DougLynne

I kept calling the dealership regarding the axle arrival and finally a couple of weeks ago I had to escalate to the Service Mngr. as I was never getting return calls. He supposedly has talked to the individual about returning calls. The axles had just arrived and tonight I just got back from dropping the trailer off to have them installed. Almost 2 1/2 months since all this started. Hopefully we'll get out a couple more times before winterizing and storing..../Doug

Uncle Rog

Contact Numbers

Howdy, here are a couple of good #'s for Lisa Goodwin at Lippert for future reference, direct 574-971-4925, cell 574-535-1125. She had a rep out to look ar our rig in less than 48 hrs after I contacted her. I wish I would have had this info earlier for you........

DougLynne

Picked up to trailer yesterday and plan a trip in a week or so. Hopefully this is it for major stuff. Have to re-torque the U clamps and tires after 500 miles.../Doug