Crack in the outer wall?

sdgirl

OMG, you all. I am just sick at heart. I noticed this after our last camping trip and I have just not delt with it. I came back from Lake Skinner and found a CRACK in the outside of my Big Country. this is the first trailer I have ever had and have been SOO happy with my coach. Anyone ever dealt with this before? What do I do? Can this be fixed? Can I contact the Factory? I know my coach is 4 years old,, but this just should not happen, should it? I've attached a picture (I think). All advice is welcome~! Thanks.

Attachments

• Trailer Crack3.JPG
    Trailer Crack3.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 188

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Crack in the outter wall?

I am so sorry for the issue. I understand that same sick feeling when our bulkhead had a leak and resulted in a wrinkled surface. Also looks like we might have a delamination problem the full length of a side wall.

Hopefully it is cosmetic rather than structural. I would first eliminate (as much as possible) any frame flex issues. You might try checking at the pinbox hitched and unhiched to see how much flex there is. I do this once a year just because I am paranoid!

If it is a comestic thing, I am sure it can be fixed. Definitely call Customer Service and email some pictures. If nothing else, they may be able to give you suggestions for the next course of action.

Best Wishes for a simple fix!

scotty

OMG, you all. I am just sick at heart. I noticed this after our last camping trip and I have just not delt with it. I came back from Lake Skinner and found a CRACK in the outside of my Big Country. this is the first trailer I have ever had and have been SOO happy with my coach. Anyone ever dealt with this before? What do I do? Can this be fixed? Can I contact the Factory? I know my coach is 4 years old,, but this just should not happen, should it? I've attached a picture (I think). All advice is welcome~! Thanks.

I too really feel for you. My unit is 6 years old. I have a previous post back in 010. Had a crack by door at top of big slide. I'm somewhat sick now as I had the crack fixed in Florida. The folks that fixed it also adjusted the main slide, which they though was the reason for the crack. Now, I just towed it back to New Jersey and the crack is back. I have an appointment on Monday with Scott RV in Lakewood N J to get an estimate. I believe mine was caused by the misaligned slide, but also believe it broke a weld at the top of the slide frame box. I should know after they look at it. I'm way past warranty so I'll pay out of pocket. Plan to keep the BH until it falls apart. Hope your's is just cosmetic. By the way I also have cracks like yours at the top of both small slides on the OD side, but neither are as bad as my DS big slide area. None of the cracks are open enough to leak, at least not yet. I don't have a lot of frame flex up front, and the DS crack is almost half way back from the front so dont think, any of my cracks are flex related, but more due to slide misalignments.

sdgirl

Thank you. I don't know how to check for Flexing, but will search around for that.

sdgirl

Thanks Scotty. Hope your cracks are able to be fixed without too much hassle. Has anyone contact the factory about this issue? We bought an extended warrenty, so I plan to see if this is covered. Can't hurt at this point. Will keep you all posted.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Dena, we (the crazy socal bunch) will all look at it in a couple of weeks. But do call HL, with your VIN# and some pix and talk to them.

scotty

Thanks Scotty. Hope your cracks are able to be fixed without too much hassle. Has anyone contact the factory about this issue? We bought an extended warrenty, so I plan to see if this is covered. Can't hurt at this point. Will keep you all posted.

Wish you well also. In my case I should have done a better job at the PDI. LOL-it seems the older I get the more I forget. I've owner 6 RVs since 84 and would think that I would be tougher at the PDIs. Anyway in this case I should have caught the slide alignment issue then, but didn't, so now I'm paying. Not blaming Heartland, anyone can get a Lemon and I got mind this time. Just trying now to make Lemonade out of it. Would purchase another Heartland, they're good folks, but new purchases not currently in plans with retirement.

sdgirl

Thanks Everyone. I will be contacting Heartland directly with this issue. I LOVE my Coach,, researched for 2 years before we bought and want to make sure that the root cause is discovered and that this gets fixed correctly.

Birchwood

RV's are delicate creatures and I treat them that way.I avoid rough roads like the plague as I have heard
of cracks on the outside of RV's.Your probem may be caused from poor roads or it may also be a structural
defect and would of occurred eventually.