Edge M21 water pump runs & leaks, no water in faucets

I am a newbie RV owner, taking our Edge M21 back out this summer after being unused for 2 seasons (I winterized it based on instructions from my father-in-law who is a veteran RVer), I turn on the water pump, I hear it running, but it doesn't seem to prime. I let the pump run about 5 mins and found water leaking from under the cabinet where the hot water heater resides. Turned everything off, unscrewed the plywood panel behind which the hot water heater sits, not sure what to do next. If I turn the water on, I can hear water dripping but cannot see where exactly it is dripping.

There are two valves on the hoses behind the panel, one on a blue line (assuming this is cold water), another at a junction to blue and red line - currently both are in the open position.

I know I have probably left out some pertinent information but don't know what else I should have looked for. Reading other posts on this forum, it sounds like I may have introduced air into the lines when winterizing - if so, would connecting to a city line help? Would that explain the leak as well? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
weekndcaampr1, the first thing that comes to mind is the pump may be filling the hot water tank. After winterizing, this is normal as long as the valves are turned in the right directions. I'm not sure of the plumbing layout in your rig though. Some have a single valve for winterizing and it's only that valve that directs the water flow. Others have 3 valves on the rear of the hot water heater (HWH). If your's has 3 valves, the upper and lower input and output valves need to be open and the valve in the crossover line is to be closed for normal use.
Some HWH have a plastic check valve. It's a gray plastic valve on the outlet of the HWH. This valve may be cracked and leaking. Replacements are available in brass.
Sadly, a lot has to do with proper winterizing techniques. If there was any water left in the plumbing system that settled, it may have frozen and possibly cracked a fitting or water line.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
As Ray stated untreated water can be left inside in the ball valve causing it to freeze and crack the valve. (I had that happen). I now open all valves and use air to blow the entire system clear of water before adding antifreeze.
You may be lucky and just hear the water heater filling up.