300C Heating System Air Balance...?

I ran my furnace for the first time (other than the couple of minutes at the dealer), and noticed the same problem as Urban350's earlier post, burner cycling on high limit. I haven't yet solved that problem (we've been in a bit of a heat wave here for the last couple of weeks), but I'm suspecting it could be the "mud dauber" screen the dealer installed is short cycling the combustion air, since I can find no restrictions on the warm air side so far...

While looking into this problem, I verified something I had suspected while using the furnace a few weeks ago...there is no balance on this system at all, not even a rudimentary attempt...! :confused: The air comes out of the bottom of the furnace into the floor duct, then toward the center of the coach, does a 90 degree turn with a grate directly above (no adjustment, wide open), then along the coach toward the front door where there's another grate (again, wide open), then on to the washroom grille and another grate in the bedroom (you guessed it, wide open as well). There's also a small flex duct from the furnace to the garage. I have not yet located the underbelly heating duct, but I haven't pulled open the underbelly yet, though I kind of assumed it would come directly off the furnace....

Now, I'm no HVAC genius (thought I do work in the industry...at least for another few days...;)), but this I know: Air (like water or electricity) will take the path of least resistance every time. So, true to form, the first duct is blowing like crazy and the garage duct is going pretty good, but the other ducts further away are almost totally dead. As designed, this system will never heat the front of the coach, and I can testify to that since the area around the kitchen is cooking (pun intended), and the bedroom is downright cool.

Am I missing something here? Adjustable vents, perhaps? Any other 300C owners out there finding the same, or do you have decent flow at all outlets? Any info appreciated, as always! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Dave

CrazyCooter

Same story here......

I got some metal adjustable vents for the kitchen and that helped a little. We do most of our heating with the Wave catalytic heater to save power and propane.

We also can't seem to regulate the bedroom temp, so I plan to install a second thermostat in there to fix that.

Same story here......

I got some metal adjustable vents for the kitchen and that helped a little. We do most of our heating with the Wave catalytic heater to save power and propane.

We also can't seem to regulate the bedroom temp, so I plan to install a second thermostat in there to fix that.

Did you ever find the duct going to the underbelly?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I don't think any of Heartlands AC or Heating systems are air balanced. I decided the only way to get the systems working better is to install adjustable damper type register covers. I found direct replacement adjustable cover for the heating side. The AC vents I found are 1/4" larger in diameter so they required jig sawing the roof opening a tad larger.

On the use of outside vent screens I'd say don't use them. The Surburban heater web site states "do not use them" because they block the flow of air.

CrazyCooter

I have not looked for the belly heating duct if there is one. If I do find it, I'll likley block it it it is near the front of the rig.

The weather just isn't that cold where we camp or store it to require heating area that isn't living space.