picked up our new 3950 last night!

steiny93

I'm the one that had the first 3950 arrive in the wrong color //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30734-scheduled-3950-pickup-monday-not-going-to-happen; well the 2nd one arrived in the correct color and all is well. As an additional plus; the first one has already sold; so everyone is happy.

Did the pdi; only issues were a couple doors that needed to be tweaked.
This is our 3rd new rv and it is by far the cleanest from the factory; it still needs to have a deep cleaning done but it was head and shoulders above the other 2 rigs we've received (kudos for heartland).

stuff we've noticed so far: (these are our first impressions after being in the rig for a few hours)
+ hydralic front legs are awesome fast!
= the wall paper behind the stove should be tile; i vote for a factory upgrade option; wife is in the middle of a kitchen remodel; she's having the tile guy look at the 5er today
+ it has a master disconnect switch; makes absolute sense; i don't know if that is advertised or not but it should be; in all previous rigs i had to add it
- it's a bummer that the dvd player in the kitchen doesn't have hdmi outputs; composite video looks bad on that large of a tv; but having a single player for the dvd/cd/radio is a plus; a separate player would be lame
+ the screen system for the back door is the bomb; should advertise that more; the magnetic hold down is awesome!
- we came from a montana that had switches on the walls and switches on the 12volt lights; in the cyclone it has very few walls switches with most being on the lights; if you have a child they can't reach many of the lights; for example the hallway into the master; or the lights in the garage; or the light in the rear bathroom; i vote for a factory wall switch option
- finding the switch for the ceiling kitchen lights is difficult when its dark; could solve by having that switch be lit (like a pilot light) when the 5er is on genset or shoreline
= i thought there would be a cabinet in the loft; there isn't; not a big deal
- the rungs on the latter into the loft hurt my feet (maybe i'm to fat or my feet are to wimpy) but without shoes those rungs hurt :) perhaps I need a diet
+ the water pump is very very quite; definate win!
- getting to the winterizing switches isn't exactly cool; i'd vote for a more finished access panel
+ the ac unit works very well; it was 95 degrees when we did our pdi; with a single ac it had us comfortable in about 20 minutes
= front access doors to under nose storage; one side has gas struts and the other side doesn't; seems odd that they aren't the same "I think" I like the struts solution better but then the door doesn't open as far so maybe that is why the other side doesn't have em; without the struts the door is pretty heavy; not a bad deal just didn't exspect it
+ the copper is awesome when you see it in person! we are having the same striping done to our hdt and we can't wait for it to be completed

all in all
We love the cyclone and can't wait to use it next weekend; absolutely zero buyers remorse!
Thank you heartland for putting out a quality product!

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
I'm glad to hear that everything went well, welcome to the Heartland family and enjoy this camping season.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
steiny93, Welcome and thanks for a great write up. Enjoy your new Cyclone. And yes, how about some pictures??;)

TwoGypsies

Congratulations Steiny! I agree with your observations. If your unit is like ours, the reason for the gas struts on the driver's side storage hatch is to avoid a collision if you had it latched up and then were to open the bedroom slide. With the struts, the hatch can be open and it is gently pushed down a few degrees by the slide. Why not have gas struts on both sides? I definitely prefer the action of the other side without struts. It's quicker and slicker IMO.

porthole

Retired
I would have thought by now, almost a year after the younger Brady tried climbing the ladder at the Goshen rally, that issue would be solved.

steiny93

i promise i'll get some pics uploaded :)
we are leaving friday on the maiden shakedown trip and when i get everything hooked up i'll snap some; i would have gotten some on the trip home from the dealer but my 2500 was squated out so bad i really didn't want to save that image :)
it'll be much better on the hdt

i hear yah on the struts; i looked at it again and thats the deal; impact with the slide

i do have one question
for the tank valves; to dump the black and grey tanks
in is closed and out is open; is that correct? when i picked it up from the dealer some of the valves were pushed in and others were out; i'm assuming in is closed; could someone validate?

thx

steiny93

thx bksvo; thats what i assumed as all our previous rigs were that way

can you imagine if i hadn't caught that :)
i'd be at the dumpstation; (valves still open; lets say 60 gallons of nasty waiting behind the outlet cover) it'd be sunday afternoon; all cheerful and packed up ready to head home
i'd have my brand new sewer hose in hand; all happy that its clean
i'd likely see some water dripping from the cover and think; hmmmm, thats strange
then...
i'd reach down and open that outlet cover and WHAM! 60 gallons of random nasty would be all over the place

wife would prolly not let me back in the truck :)

zigzag3337

Congrats on the Cyclone. We picked ours up on April 30th of this year and had a few issues with it. We do have one major issue and if it wasn't for me waxing the front cap, I would've never noticed it. We have the HD edition and there is a lot of stress cracks in the gel-coat. Heartland agreed to have it replaced, so nothing to worry about.

If you are like us, it will take a few trips to get use to where all the light switches are behind that panel. At night, we have worked the awning and started to pull in the slide hunting for that light switch. I ended up installing an LED light and lighting up the fuel gauge when the door is open. Made a big improvement at night.

b838f058.jpg

45d0d095.jpg

242c52c3.jpg

It was a good thing I decided to do this. There was 3 connectors that were already turning black from overheating and one wire that was starting to show signs of melting. All were cause of bad connections. I went ahead and went through all the other connectors while I was behind the panel and the rest were okay.

porthole

Retired
I added a small, always on LED over the "important" light switch.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=134981&viewfull=1#post134981

cpoores

Hdmi

There should be HDMI inputs on the Television itself. We got our 3712 in June and looked for this as well.