Torque 291 what truck

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Hi
We have a couple in our chapter who have been told that a 2012 F150 is enogh truck to pull a torque 291. The GVW for the torque is 14,000. Has anyone got some information on this? I have directed them to the forum but I sence they might be shy.
thanks
Don

GOTTOYS

No possible way! That's Waaay over the limit. Look at the chart on the posting from jtwhites85 and match your friends truck up with it. If the truck is the right model with the right equipment the most it is rated for 11,300#. Darn salespeople..anything to make a buck!...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Seriously? Not even close. I know the new F150 with the eco boost has a pretty good rating but not a 14000 lb trailer. Not even if it was empty.
I had a neighbor in Ocala last winter that towed a 32 ft 5th wheel with 2 slides from OH to FL. He said he didn't have any problems. I just walked away. Heard that statement too many times.

PeternLiane

Sorry but no way. The trailer is almost 3000lbs over weight. You'd have to have a 250(2500) or 350(3500) to pull that trailer safely.

Well after reading all the "Opinions" here, I'm anxious to see how my 2012 Ecoboost F150 will be towing our TQ291. After adding a 4" exhaust, cold air intake, and Bully Dog GT tuner I'm estimating another 100+ horsepower to my already adequately rated truck. No, it's not rated for 14,000 however I will never push the limits of the trailer to 14,000 anyway. The pin weight on the trailer is 2000lbs, and with the package on my truck it's rated for 2300lbs payload. I may install air springs if I get sag. I will let everyone know how it goes when I pick my 291 up in the next couple of days.

danemayer

The pin weight on the trailer is 2000lbs, and with the package on my truck it's rated for 2300lbs payload. I may install air springs if I get sag. I will let everyone know how it goes when I pick my 291 up in the next couple of days.
Here are a few additional thoughts that might be helpful to you.

The pin weight of 2090 is not the only thing contributing to the 2300 payload of the truck. You have to include people, tools, hitch, bed linings/covers and anything else that didn't come with the truck. Also, the pin weight spec doesn't include options added to the trailer, water, or any of your stuff. On our Landmark, the empty pin weight spec is 2620. The actual pin weight is 900# higher with all our options and cargo. Air bags may compensate for your sag, but won't strengthen the rear axles, wheels, springs or tires.

Gas engines develop max horsepower at much higher RPM than diesels. Your engine may be screaming every time you go uphill or merge onto an interstate. Think poor acceleration, poor gas mileage and excess wear and tear.

If you ever get into high altitude, gas engines can lose 30% of their power in thin air. If you're on the edge to begin with, it'll be quite a struggle.

While the trailer brakes are supposed to be responsible for stopping the trailer weight, think about going down steep grades. You'll get little help from the engine and transmission, and the F-150 brakes are probably not well matched to having a 13,000-14,000 pound trailer helping you downhill.

You may want to visit FifthWheel Safe Towing for additional insights.

JanAndBill

To often people mistake the ability to tow something with towing safely and comfortable driving. I've pulled loaded grain trailers grossing 30,000# short distances with a 4 wheel drive F150. Was it safe - NO. Was it something I would want to do for any length of time - NO. Did I have repairs - YES. Our TV is an F350 DW. I can safely travel long distance, knowing that I'm not overloading or overheating any component, and I'm not constantly fighting the wheel everytime the wind blows or a truck passes.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Well after reading all the "Opinions" here, I'm anxious to see how my 2012 Ecoboost F150 will be towing our TQ291. After adding a 4" exhaust, cold air intake, and Bully Dog GT tuner I'm estimating another 100+ horsepower to my already adequately rated truck. No, it's not rated for 14,000 however I will never push the limits of the trailer to 14,000 anyway. The pin weight on the trailer is 2000lbs, and with the package on my truck it's rated for 2300lbs payload. I may install air springs if I get sag. I will let everyone know how it goes when I pick my 291 up in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the "heads up". Maybe you can post your travels so the rest of us can stay off that Hwy.

I just love it when people seem to think they know EVERYTHING. I did my research and yesterday picked up my trailer. I was worried (a little) about the pin weight. My truck sagged all of 1" when lowered onto my hitch. I am installing air helper springs before we leave for Florida however it doesn't appear I even need them. I drove it about 50 miles. About 18 miles on a freeway with 20 mph cross winds. Rode great, no sway, truck accelerated to 65mph very easily and quickly. I could barely feel the trailer behind me. (People should really go test an Ecoboost before they start spouting off.) Then I did another 40 or so miles through traffic and stop and go traffic. Again, no issues at all. Our TQ 291 pulls like a dream, and my F150 with the Ecoboost performs equally as wonderful. The onboard system showed I was getting 10 MPG with the cruise set to 65 MPH. I have a 20K Pull Rite SuperGlide hitch that removes completely from my bed. You know what they say about opinions....

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Doug, Im glad its working out for you. BUT, check with your insurance co. and see if they will cover you if you have an accident. The law is the law about what weights you can pull legally. Your truck is not rated to pull that much weight...period. No matter what you have done to it. This is not an opinion....it is fact. In California, if you are stopped and found to be over your weight rating. You be cited and made to drop your trailer on the spot. Then you have to pay someone to come get the trailer with a "legal" truck. Also, if you do not have the right endorsment on your license, you will be cited for that. They do not care what the empty weight is...its by the GWR on the sticker. Here you have to have an endorsment for any trailer over 10K GWR. Would suggest that you look up the towing laws in your state.

DW_Gray

Message to any buyer: The F150 truck will tow this trailer. Heck, even the Toyota Tundra towed the Space Shuttle in L.A. So why not a F-150 or Ram 1500? If it can tow it, then that's good to go. Or is it?

Will it be safe? Are you sure you're willing to take the risk?

Towing is not the only issue. The real issue is to avoid exceeding the load ratings. Ratings are concrete and they aren’t debatable. Ratings are based on a lot of things, like axles, springs, transmission, gear ratio, tires, brakes and etc. These components have limits and continued overtaxing them will result in failure. All these things can be upgraded with aftermarket products but that does not change the certification ratings.

As far as any legal repercussions, you can take that up with the judge.

Do the right thing, tow safely with the right vehicle.

DW_Gray

Think about this:

When the catastrophic failure occurs on the overtaxed component(s) and the wheels stop turning, are you confident that you, your family or friends and those near you will still be alive?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I hope that driving it home, on familiar roads, with it empty, is not a good test for how it will perform when it is fully loaded with family, pets, gear, toys, fuel, water, etc. on unfamiliar roads. After you load up, with everyone that's going with you, and before you head out for your first trip, find a CAT scale. Then you will know what you are dealing with.

BTW, we have a 5ver with similar weight. Dry was listed at 11,070. loaded (2 people, no kids, no pets) we are 13,425 - below the 14000 GWR.

Last edited:

Tombstonejim

Well us guys here at shister and shister lawyers just love this kind of stuff. If you are in an accident and some one is killed or better than that disabled for life. We are gonna put our investigators on you like stink on a skunk. We are gonna prove in court that you were over GCWR, GVWR and probably more. We are gonna make you out be the most iresponsible , uncaring lowlife that ever existed and take every penny you ever made and will make for the rest of your life. Please tow on.

Snow

Wow!! 1" of sag that's really good heck my 250 superduty drops about 2-3" and that's after installing 5000 lb air lifts , I did talk to another guy that was pulling a 5er with a 150 Eco and I was amazed how well he said it done , it's a ford thing ,just be careful and happy kamping ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well us guys here at shister and shister lawyers just love this kind of stuff. If you are in an accident and some one is killed or better than that disabled for life. We are gonna put our investigators on you like stink on a skunk. We are gonna prove in court that you were over GCWR, GVWR and probably more. We are gonna make you out be the most iresponsible , uncaring lowlife that ever existed and take every penny you ever made and will make for the rest of your life. Please tow on.

Almost sounds like the burglar who sued the homeowner for leaving the door unlocked which 'caused' him to be able to burglarize the home. He won the lawsuite.

JRBEN

My 2011 F150 5.0L 4x4 Crew cab was struggling on grades pulling a 26LRSS, and that's a light weight TT. I just traded it in for a 2012 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins 4x4 DRW Crew Cab and the difference is amazing.

Follow Up to my previous post on my 2012 F150 with Ecoboost towing our TQ291. Again, I have to comment on how some people seem to think they know everything. We have taken several trips now in the last year totaling 20,000 miles. We are N of Chicago and have traveled to Florida and back, then out west to Arizona and up through Utah and Idaho (steepest grades were maybe 8%) We had one stretch in New Mexico on some long 6% grades where the engine heated up (outside temp was about 100 degrees) but never got into the red. Then through Yellowstone onto Sturgis where we drove on HWY 14. Very winding and steep. Up to 12% grade. The truck pulled my fully loaded (Harley Roadking & Outlander MAX ATV) trailer with no problems at all. The only negative thing is that gas motors have poor engine braking for going down hills. My brakes did take their toll. I never was forced to drive way below the speed limit due to low power. And on straight flat runs, I have the cruise set at 70. After Sturgis 1000 miles home at 70+ mph the whole way. Next trip was to WV. Again fully loaded with my Harley and ATV. Very up and down terrain with grades as high as 12%. Again, no problems at all. We have been subjected to all kinds of weather hot, cold, high winds, rain, snow and the trailer tows beautifully. Would it tow easier with a 3/4 or 1 ton PU with a big diesel? Of course it would. But I don't need it. We are leaving for Bike Week in Daytona again in 4 weeks (2700 miles RT). I have no doubts our trip will be safe and comfortable. If I go to a bigger heavier trailer I will no doubt be needing a bigger truck. Until then , my F150 Ecoboost rocks!