370C Fenders

BarneyFife

The fender skirts on our 370C are cracking terribly around the bolt holes. I've recently placed washers in some to help distribute the stress at the bolt head but some have cracked completely through.

Anyone ever replaced their fenders before? Of course, our warranty ran out one month ago. Rats. :mad:

CrazyCooter

Wow! Already.....

I have been spraying 303 on my plastic stuff like crazy trying to avoid this for a few years.

There is a site online somewhere I remember looking at that had fenders of all kinds....including aluminum ones almost like Fuzions and Raptors have.

Bksvo

I had a fender crack on the shakedown. The dealer told me it is very common on these. I'd probably try Heartland and see if you can work some kind of compromise with them.

BarneyFife

I talked with Heartland today. They are sending me replacement fenders to my house today free of charge. I'll do the installation.

I'm good with that. As many problems as I've had with Heartland, I certainly don't mind commending them when they do me right.

By the way, anyone got any great ideas of how to mount these better? They are screwed into the side of the unit with self tapping screws. That's it. If I can relieve some stress on the plastics, maybe I can get more than a year out of them this time. I wonder if I could find some rubber washers or grommets to absorb the friction between the screw heads and the plastic?

danemayer

I had one fender develop spider cracks radially around several of the mounting bolts after about 6 months. The dealer tech (who mostly sees other brands) said that this is very common on RVs and is typically caused by over tightening. Mine was replaced under warranty. Net, be careful how much you tighten the hardware. Maybe snug the nuts and use loctite to keep them secure.

Bksvo

I would also use a washer or screw with a very wide head to spread out the loading on the plastic. I believe mine were overtightened during installation.

TXTiger

My new Cyclone was missing one of the fender skirts at time of purchase. Heartland service team brought a replacement skirt to the rally in Gillette and installed it for me. There is a bracket under the skirt to stop it from excess movement in the wind going down the road. Make sure you have this bracket attached. It may help prevent the skirt from vibrating and reduce the chances of cracking at the screw.

BarneyFife

My new Cyclone was missing one of the fender skirts at time of purchase. Heartland service team brought a replacement skirt to the rally in Gillette and installed it for me. There is a bracket under the skirt to stop it from excess movement in the wind going down the road. Make sure you have this bracket attached. It may help prevent the skirt from vibrating and reduce the chances of cracking at the screw.

I think I know what you're referring to. I'm 99% sure its never been secured to the fender. This may be my problem all along.
Thank you.

BarneyFife

OK. Fenders came in Friday. I haven't opened the box because I haven't been home but as I thought they said, they must be one entire fender. The box is probably 10' long or more.

They have to be cut since part is mounted to the slideout. Any suggestions on what to use to cut these fenders in half in a perfect line?