Rear Receiver Hitch Option

jbeletti

I'd like to see Heartland offer a rear 2" receiver hitch option. One that is welded or bolted to the frame of the trailer before the belly is insulated and closed off.

For me, I'd use it for a bicycle rack.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, I am with you. I do not like the idea af hanging my bikes from the ladder and putting them inside is out of the question. I may have to wait for the warranty to run out then figure something out for a rear receiver.

Firebug

I have a rear receiver hitch on my current lite weight TT. I hope by the time we get our
Landmark that it will have on too. After all there is more there on a fifth wheel to fasten too.

Last edited:

slaytop

I had a 2" receiver added to my Shenandoah by Dan's Hitch in Elkhart, IN. They welded the hitch to the frame rails behind the stabilizer jacks. They claim it is good for 300 lbs and is not designed to do any towing. I plan to add a bicycle rack to haul a tandem bike but I'm not sure what to use at this time.
Larry

jbeletti

Larry,

Thanks for this news. And at Dan's to boot! That place is awesome. When I was in Elkhart recently, I had to stop into Dan's just to look around. Never talked to anyone as they were so busy as usual. If you get a chance, please take some pictures of the attachment point at the frame and some finished pictures. We'd like to see them.

I will ask the factory if there is any difference underneath the various Landmark models at the rear of the frame so determine if your hitch work could be done on other models.

For anyone interested, here's the information for Dan's:

Dan's Service Center, Inc.
Bob Stevens
111 Alt Drive
Elkhart, IN 46514
574-262-4638
(right behind Perkins off the IN Toll Road)

bking

I've been checking with my dealer about bike mount carriers and received thie note from them-

"I spoke to Heartland about the possibility of having a welding shop mount a receiver on the unit. They said It would not void the warranty however if there ever become a issue with cracking of any structural areas, that would be the first place they would look. It is my opinion, being a metal worker, it would not bother me to put one on as long as it did not come in contact with any of the body of the unit."

I haven't decided whether to do this or pursue a ladder mount rack. I'm glad to hear about the shop in Elkhart. Maybe something to do before/after the rally next June.

slaytop

Photos of bicycle hitch

Attached are a few photos of the hitch that was installed on my Shenandoah by Dan's Service Center in Elkhart. The side plates were shaped and welded inside the frame rails. I hope they don't mind a photo of their label placed on the hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_156.JPG
    IMG_156.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

bking

I had Dan's install a hitch on my Golden Gate in June. The hitch is great with my bike hitch installed. However, I wasn't at all pleased with the burn marks they left on the fiberglass bumper. Not quality work IMHO. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

From your photos it looks like they did a more careful job than they did with mine.

Attachments

• Hitch_#1.JPG
    Hitch_#1.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Hitch_#2.JPG
    Hitch_#2.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Hitch_#3.JPG
    Hitch_#3.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Hitch_#5.JPG
    Hitch_#5.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 271

slaytop

bking
I'm sorry to hear about and see the burn marks left on your coach. My dealer took the unit over to Dan's for the installation before I took delivery. That may have had some influence on their work.
Larry

bking

My dealer also took it to Dan's for the installation. It was this way when I took delivery from the deraler. Howver, I didn't notice it until I was home and installed the bike rack.

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
The hitch looks like the location is great, looks factory. I was appaled at the welding. They must have used an old stick welder, anyone that is a little proficent with a MIG or better yet a TIG welder can keep the heat down to a minimum, and not burn anything. Mig welds are smoother if they have the settings correct. I'm not knocking the job just Dan's welder!

nhunter

I thought you weren't allowed to weld the the frames of vehicles and that everything had to be bolted?

BluegrassMan

Hi nhunter:
I can't see why you couldn't weld to the frames, a Mig welder heats the parent metals to melt the wire for good penetration. It shouldn't change any of the properties of the steel channel. I have welded a Mustang II complete front end under my streetrod. No bolting anything there. Penetration of heat in the smallest area won't take the temper out of the frame of crystalize the metal either. I was just looking at the welds that looked like "bubblegum" to me IMHO. The welds should have flowed better, that shows good penetration and THAT MEANS STRENGTH. I have seen TIG welds that looked like a stack of dimes lying on their side. That's good welding. I don't want to start anything "Negative" it was just my observation, when looking at the fabricating of the hitch. Thats All.

nhunter

Bluegrassman, I have seen on some mdt and semis that they have stickers that warn you not to weld or drill on frame rails. Must be that they are heat treated or some such? I just assummed that it would apply to light duty trucks as well.

J

Jim_1899

Hitch Installation

I am getting a hitch installed next the Monday after thanksgiving. Hauling the bikes in the closet and inside the camper has to end. I would like to have the slide out bumper like the Montana, but will settle for a receiver. How much did Dan's charge for the job.

bking

My dealer quoted me both $450 and $300. I'm not sure what the actual price was as it was not itemized on my purchase agreement.

The hitch works great. We've carried two bikes on a few short trips and are pleased with the hitch.

Something to be aware of is the the rubber gasket and underside of the bumper are easily scortched by the welding. My dealer just finished working on cleaning this up. I've seen other hitches installed by Dan's that did not have this problem. It's something to look at after the work is completed. I'd still recommend Dan's because the welding itself is done very good.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
It would be nice to see Heartland Landmark provide a bolt-on option for a 2" hitch so we could then haul our bicycles in back.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
How much did Dan charge for this hitch?

I had Dan's install a hitch on my Golden Gate in June. The hitch is great with my bike hitch installed. However, I wasn't at all pleased with the burn marks they left on the fiberglass bumper. Not quality work IMHO. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

From your photos it looks like they did a more careful job than they did with mine.

How much did Dan charge for this hitch (parts & labor)?

caissiel

Ii will mount a hitch on my new RV and the welds will surely be more professional. Its a shame that people charge for that type of work on a new RV. Mine now is bolted to the frame and I will do the same. I made my own bike carryer and for the last 11 years I have carried 2 bikes and sometimes 3 with the bikes tied with 2 bungy cords each. In addition I pulled a car behind a different occasions.

sprehoda

Bike Receiver Is a Must

When we get our GC we will have a receiver for a bike rack one way or another.

Heartland will gain goodwill if they could offer an economical option for a 2" receiver instead of forcing many buyers to go off to a welder and have the work done by a 3rd party.

I heard from a salesman that people who loaded the receiver with a motorcycle and damaged the frame made problems for them so they refused to do it after that.

Can't it be done with a weight limit? Like bicycles only?