Battery not charging when plugged into power outlet.

Hello my name is Kevin and I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Sundance 3100ES, I love the trailer but I have one problem that I cannot figure out.
When I am hooked to a power outlet it does not charge my battery. The fuses seem to be ok and when I do have the battery charged up full it runs everything like it should but when the battery goes down things start to shut down, for example last night I was up doing some work on the trailer and I had it plugged into a power outlet after about 3-4 hours the radio shut off then the slide had no power to pull it in, then I plugged a battery charger to it and it sat for a little while and as soon as I turn on the radio it worked fine then it shut down, I plugged my truck into it was able to get the slides in I have the battery home on charge now but I do not want to have to remove the battery every time I need it charged.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you Kevin

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kevin, welcome to the forum.
I do have a thought about your battery charging.
Are you sure that your battery is hooked up correctly?
One thing that happens if a battery is not hooked up correctly is that you will blow the fuses on the converter and it will not charge till you change them.
So, locate your converter and look for three fuses and check them. I think they are either 25 or 30 amp.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CactusTwo

Definetely sound like fuses like Dave says. Make note though, the charger portion of the converter only charges at a trickle 2.0 amps like the lowest setting of a stand alone battery charger so you may want to keep plugged in for a LONG time or disconnect and put onto a regular battery charger. The trickle on the converter is so the battery doesn't overcharge and burn it out while plugged in for long times (like the whole summer)

danemayer

The power converter might be unplugged. Sometimes the cord vibrates out of the outlet. If so, you'll need to tie it down.

caissiel

My 60 amp converter charges the batteries at 23 amps most of the time.
Our unit charges the batteries up to 90% and them drops the charging rate. I usually run the power plant 2 hrs at a time.

TeJay

Hi,
You can and should check for loose connections and blown fuses but troubleshooting should be a systematic approach. If you're battery is going dead and it's plugged into shore power (converter) then simply connect a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) across the battery. While connected to your converter charge voltage should read at least 13.5 volts. The converter is pushing electrons back into the battery and it takes about a volt more than the battery voltage to do that. What voltage you get will determine if your converter is charging the battery. If the converter is not working you will read 12 -V's or probably less. Now start searching as to why the converter is not charging. The hit and miss approach may solve your problem but often times it will get you to jump to the wrong conclusion and replace something that does not need to be replaced. PM me if you want more info.

TeJay

Thanks for all the responses and I did take all the knowledge that you provided and it was the 40 amp fuse on the converter was blown, replaced it and it appears to be working again. I will need to talk to the dealer to find out why it is blowing fuses.
Thanks for your help Kevin