Gas grill

RanCarr

My husband got tired of messing with briquettes and finally bought himself a gas grill. It cooks much faster but gives the pork chops a strange consistency. A rubberyness. Anyone else notice that? Maybe I need to buy those with more fat on them. :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've noticed that too but I think it depends on where we buy our chops. We normally buy a whole loin and cut it up into chops the thickness we like and then save a nice hunk from the end to roast in the rotisserie. In fact, we're having the roast today!
We travel with both charcoal and LP and use the charcoal for special times. We have a rack for hanging wings and it wont fit in the LP grill.

Last edited:

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
We use propane grill most of the time and our chops turn out pretty yummy. We buy them about 1" thick, marinate in Hoover sauce at least 24 hours in the fridge and cook them on the low temp setting. I will be happy to sample yours to compare them.

rick_debbie_gallant

My husband got tired of messing with briquettes and finally bought himself a gas grill. It cooks much faster but gives the pork chops a strange consistency. A rubberyness. Anyone else notice that? Maybe I need to buy those with more fat on them. :confused:

You say it cooks the pork fast. That means the fire is to hot or turned up to high. I like to get the grill good and hot, and I mean hot!! 600 degrees hot.

while the grill is heating up get out the pork chops or steak and your fav-or-ite rub. when that is done get your self some canola and lube the meat on both sides.

now that the grill is HOT, clean the previous gunk and drippings from the surface. I never clean the grill after cooking, always before I cook

Okay now here we go. put your meat on the grill for 1 minute to sear it and then turn the meat 90 degrees to give that nice cross hatching you get in the restaurants. after a four to five minutes flip the meat on a different part of the grill if you can and do the same as the first side with the turning for about two minutes. So that be 1 minute and then turn 90 degrees and all should be yummmy. the thinner the meat the hotter the heat and cook it fast. The thicker the meat the longer you cook it and at a lower temp. "It works for me"

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I've been gaining experience on a Weber gas grill for about 15 yrs and I come up with some pretty darn good meals! (I'd be happy to trade experiments with pork roasts)
I just bought a Coleman Road Trip grill to take along in the cyclone. I've cooked sausage links and ribeye steaks so far with pretty good success but it's WAAAAYYYY different from the Weber. First thing I learned is that the grates get very very hot even on low heat.
Any suggestions from long time users of Coleman propane grills?

RanCarr

I've noticed that too but I think it depends on where we buy our chops. We normally buy a whole loin and cut it up into chops the thickness we like and then save a nice hunk from the end to roast in the rotisserie.

We found loin of pork too lean to make on the grill even when we slather it with BBQ sauce. How do you keep it juicy and tender?

In fact, we're having the roast today!
We travel with both charcoal and LP and use the charcoal for special times. We have a rack for hanging wings and it wont fit in the LP grill.

We used the gas grill for chicken today and it never did brown like I had hoped. The food dries out too quickly or if wrapped in tinfoil it doesn't brown, even when the tinfoil is opened. Maybe we're just not using it correctly but I like the briquette grilled food much better. :) And I have no idea how to clean this gas grill. It's becoming a real mess. It looks like the thing has to be dismantled to be cleaned. It looks like it'll need a lot of scrubbing to get the inside reasonably clean.

rick_debbie_gallant

We found loin of pork too lean to make on the grill even when we slather it with BBQ sauce. How do you keep it juicy and tender?

We used the gas grill for chicken today and it never did brown like I had hoped. The food dries out too quickly or if wrapped in tinfoil it doesn't brown, even when the tinfoil is opened. Maybe we're just not using it correctly but I like the briquette grilled food much better. :) And I have no idea how to clean this gas grill. It's becoming a real mess. It looks like the thing has to be dismantled to be cleaned. It looks like it'll need a lot of scrubbing to get the inside reasonably clean.

Which grill do you have? Is it the Weber Q series, (100,200,300)?

RanCarr

You say it cooks the pork fast. That means the fire is to hot or turned up to high. I like to get the grill good and hot, and I mean hot!! 600 degrees hot.

We use it on the lowest setting so as not to burn the chops, or have them done on the outside and raw on the inside i.e. seared. We made that mistake once. :D The gauge will say 250 to 300F. Let me add here that this wasn't an expensive gas grill. I think he paid $55 for it. As you suggested below, maybe we'll try it at a higher temperature again.

while the grill is heating up get out the pork chops or steak and your fav-or-ite rub. when that is done get your self some canola and lube the meat on both sides.

I will definitely try this to keep the chops from drying out. I hadn't thought of adding oil to the meat. Good idea. :)

now that the grill is HOT, clean the previous gunk and drippings from the surface. I never clean the grill after cooking, always before I cook.

The rack is kept clean. (The rest is a mess inside :( )

Okay now here we go. put your meat on the grill for 1 minute to sear it and then turn the meat 90 degrees to give that nice cross hatching you get in the restaurants. after a four to five minutes flip the meat on a different part of the grill if you can and do the same as the first side with the turning for about two minutes. So that be 1 minute and then turn 90 degrees and all should be yummmy. the thinner the meat the hotter the heat and cook it fast. The thicker the meat the longer you cook it and at a lower temp. "It works for me"

I will try this. Thank you. :) Our chops are usually about 3/4" thick. Today we're trying steak on the gas grill. I'll rub it down with the oil as you suggest, sear it etc......

rick_debbie_gallant

I will try this. Thank you. :) Our chops are usually about 3/4" thick. Today we're trying steak on the gas grill. I'll rub it down with the oil as you suggest said:
Be sure to let me know how it works out. BTW THE WEBER Q's are in the 200.00 range. It has a heavy cast iron grill and Heavy duty aluminum carcass. If we wer to clean it after use we would lose the seasoning, I think.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3vhbhh
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilsons21157

North Trail 31QBS
I agree about the high heat->sear->turn flame down approach. I have a weber q200 and switched over from the blue rhino my rv came with...think it was the rv2. The blue rhino has about 1/2 the heat output as the weber and it's flimsy.

check craigslist...you should be able to get one with the hose extension and cart for 100-125.00

TXTiger

I have only had my rig one month and am looking at gas grills now. I don't know how to cook much except on a gas grill I have at home, which is too large to take on the road. I want one that is portable, will fit in the garage of my cyclone and will plug into the propane bottles on the rig so I don't have to carry a separate propane bottle. Any suggestions on make and models? Coleman, Weber, Rino etc.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have only had my rig one month and am looking at gas grills now. I don't know how to cook much except on a gas grill I have at home, which is too large to take on the road. I want one that is portable, will fit in the garage of my cyclone and will plug into the propane bottles on the rig so I don't have to carry a separate propane bottle. Any suggestions on make and models? Coleman, Weber, Rino etc.
I think the majority vote will lean towards the WeberQ. The 2 smaller versions are the 100 and 200. They are well made, have very even heat distribution and easy to care for. I find it easier to carry a 20# LP bottle for the grill. That way I can use the grill anywhere I want and not have to worry about being "tied" to the rig.

ILH

I think the majority vote will lean towards the WeberQ. The 2 smaller versions are the 100 and 200. They are well made, have very even heat distribution and easy to care for. I find it easier to carry a 20# LP bottle for the grill. That way I can use the grill anywhere I want and not have to worry about being "tied" to the rig.

I picked up a 10 (might be an 11) lb pancake style bbq tank for my webber Q120. It has enough gas to last most of the summer but is MUCH easier to store and carry.

jnbhobe

My Kids bought me a 5# bottle for fathers day, it takes up a lot less space than the 20# I have been carrying for years.

Bkupplan

I have a Weber Baby Q'. Unlike a lot on here I still use the small green propane bottles with it. It stores in the basement and I store the propane in a plastic tub beside it. It does not take up much room and cooks very well. I bought a folding cooking table and a cover for both. I am very happy with my portable outside kitchen.

RanCarr

We use propane grill most of the time and our chops turn out pretty yummy. We buy them about 1" thick, marinate in Hoover sauce at least 24 hours in the fridge and cook them on the low temp setting. I will be happy to sample yours to compare them.

I'll email you some of our chops. ;) I'll try marinating them next time. He made steak yesterday and they were tender and delicious. I scored them then added a mix of Steak Sauce and olive oil. I think we both have to learn how to use the gas (propane) grill. We're here at Poole Knobs COE CG for two weeks so will get a lot of practice.

RanCarr

Space and only the two of us is why he got the smaller Rino. It's actually pretty sturdy. We have a TT and they don't have the storage space of the Class-As and 5th Wheels. Since last posting here we've been been learning how to use it. Tonight we're making Bratwursts on it. He bought it it's own tank since we do most cooking outside. If it's just the two of you and space is limited, look at the Rinos.

AnnR

Perfect timing for this topic! We are charcoal fans when camping - propane is for when we are at home and always in a hurry. When camping we live by the motto of our campground - "Taking life slow and easy" which means taking the time to smell the charcoal, slow roasting potatoes or corn in the campfire and anticipating the great meal that's coming. Unfortunately, because of the drought we're having in WI there's a burn ban which includes charcoal grills and campfires - our two main cooking methods. We are leaving Saturday for 9 days at the TT and unless we find a portable gas grill soon, I will be stuck inside cooking all week - or ordering bad pizza! So I appreciate the recommendations - I'll be doing some shopping tomorrow.