Hot in Big Country3690

Hoehand

We have had our unit sine March have had 5 other trailers and this is the hottest one we have ever owned.It has dual air bedroom stays cool but the rest is not even comfortable. We are in South Tx. And it is 100 but has been 90 in here this afternoon.We did block off the ducts in the bedroom after reading some of the posts but it hasn't seemed to have helped. We did not get any instruction books on a/c or heat at all in our packet.
it feels like the compressor is not kicking in when it is hot from noon until dark..... Gets very cool at night.
anybody else have same problems or suggestions on how too fix?We are working here and have already had to take it back and left it for a week for a/c and other problems. Beautiful trailer but beginning to really worry!

jimtoo

Hi Hoehand,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It's hard for the front a/c to cool the unit down. One thing that will help is to make a mod to the a/c discharge. I think, if I remember right, it's called a tent in the vent mod. Will search and come back in a few with my search results.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Link to a/c mod in vent.

Last edited:

Hoehand

Thank you...we sure would appreciate it! I have seen a few references to the tent ,but not sure how to do it. Signal for computer is spotty here so hard to look at all the posts.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to the tent in a vent thread that Jimtoo mentioned. Tent in a vent.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although it does not get as brutally hot for as long as it does in Texas, we run our ceiling fan (direction does make a difference) along with a small oscillating table fan on the kitchen counter. On the bedroom dresser, we have some small "personal" fans, also.The single rear A/C does a good job of keeping the rig comfortable. Other plus for us is Michigan still has trees (at least in the northern parts), so we do get some shade. The four slides all have slide toppers, which helps, as do the window and main awnings.

If you add some fans to help circulate the output of the A/C's, you may get better cooling. The ductwork is minimally efficient, at best.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Here is a tip that a RV friend passed to me and has worked. Take off the ceiling cover (inside the trailer) of the AC, and look straight up into the air chambers. This is best done on a sunny day, but anywhere you see daylight streaming in, that is a source for hot ambient air to be drawn into the AC and mixing with the cooled AC air. This will then raise the temperature of the cooled air that is delivered through the vents. I was really surprised at the number of 'openings' I could see; at sheet metal seams, screw entry points, etc. I used aluminum backed foil tape (available from heating and air conditioning supply stores), and carefully sealed all of the areas where I could see light coming in. This definitely improved the efficiency of my AC. Hope this helps.

osims

bsims
When temps reach mid 90s and 100 we use a tower fan to circulate air from the bedroom to the living area. This works well for us, under mid 90s A/C keeps up fine without fan.

Hoehand

Sure appreciate all the suggestions....John is working 6- 10 's and we will try to work on it Sunday . It was 108 for the second day in a row amd miserable in here from 3-7. We use ceiling fan have put insulated foil on window sand so far the only thing that has helped has been hosing the trailer down.it is supposed to get back down to 100 tomorrow so maybe we can stand it I until he gets a chance to work on it.wish the company would have read post and fixed the problem!we had A38 ft. Jayco 10 yrsago and it just had one unit and it stayed cool.! Love everything about the Big Country he can pull it with his I ton dodge mega cab short wheel base with 8 inch lift(why he wanted it) but this a/ c is almost a deal breaker! We have considered putting a third unit in kitchen where vent fan is... Anybody else done that? We are going to be here for a few years and it's gotta get better!

Hoehand

Thank you so much for the tent in the vent information! It is still in the 100's every day but it is now comfortable! John fixed the tent in vent and also put " diverted" in vents to direct air down. I put foll bubble type insulation on all of the windows and even sealed off heating ducts in floor. In the morning I have to wear long sleeves! I don't have to hose the roof down either.
Now our hot water heater has gone from hot to lukewarm... Any solutions for that?
This forum is awesome!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thank you so much for the tent in the vent information! It is still in the 100's every day but it is now comfortable! John fixed the tent in vent and also put " diverted" in vents to direct air down. I put foll bubble type insulation on all of the windows and even sealed off heating ducts in floor. In the morning I have to wear long sleeves! I don't have to hose the roof down either.
Now our hot water heater has gone from hot to lukewarm... Any solutions for that?
This forum is awesome!

For the HWH, check the external shower knobs to make sure they haven't gotten turned on. That can cause cold water to mix in. Also, try the HWH on propane. If it gets hotter, you could have a bad heating element in the HWH.