Rain?

kb0zke

We just got back from our vacation, and our 181 is parked in front of the house, still hooked up to the Mercury. The trailer isn't completely level. We had a nice hard rain this morning (well needed, too), and when Jo Ann went into the camper to get more stuff out she found that the floor was wet. We've not noticed this before, so I'm wondering if something isn't right up top. I'm hoping that I don't have to crawl up on the roof and put a cover over the a/c when we are at home and then remove it before we take off. Any ideas?

kb0zke

Can we assume the roof vent(s) were completely closed?

Yes. The only roof vent is in the bathroom, so any rain that would come in there would be in the shower. The water that came in was on the floor in front of the sink, directly below the a/c.

pegmikef

In that case I think I would more likely suspect the gasket under the A/C, but look around and see if there are any vent pipes on anything else where the caulking might be cracked. I haven't really heard of raln leaking through the A/C unit itself.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
It is possible that the bolts have loosened a little bit from from traveling on some of America's great roads. This will cause the rain to seep between the A/C gasket and the roof. Take the interior cover off and you will see 3 bolts that clamp the A/C to the roof. Tightened them to about 15~20 foot pounds. I check and tighten these bolts once a year.