King Pin dimensions

nscaler2

I have a Bighorn 3055RL 5vr by Heartland. It is built on a 1621 Lippert frame. My hitch in the truck it a B&W companion. I ordered a Mor/ryde pin box to replace the one that came on the trailer. It installed on the trailer just fine. However when I try to hitch it to my truck, I find that there is about 1/4 inch space between the skid plate of the pin box on the 5vr and the skid plate of B&W hitch in my truck. This places ALL of the 5vrs weight on the jaws of the B&W hitch and none on the skid plates - not good. On my original pin box, the distance between the pin box skid plate and the shoulder of the area that is encompassed by the jaws is 1 1/4 inches. On the mor/ryde it is 1 1/2 inches. Obviously the original works since we have been pulling it around for about a year. I contacted Mor/ryde and they sent a new skid plate. It has the same dimensions as the original Mor/ryde so it is NO better. Can any one tell me what the STANDARD dimension is between the skid plate and the shoulder of the area that is encompassed by the jaws is supposed to be :confused::confused:
Thanks

jpmorgan37

Tom;
I'll have to measure mine but I have the MorRyde pin box with a 20k Reese hitch and it is a perfect fit. When I jack the front of the trailer, I can get about 1/4 inch clearance between the pin box plate and the hitch plate. I have a teflon disc on the pin box that takes up about 1/8 inch or half of the clearance. When the weight is on the hitch, it is flush and tight.
John

Country

Keep us posted

I'd really like to know what you find out, because that's the hitch and pin box combo I'm thinking about getting. Thanks.

jpmorgan37

Tom;
Here are my measurements on the MorRyde kingpin. These are taken with the teflon disc on so add 1/8 inch to all measurements. Total length of pin: 3 1/16th inches, depth to bottom of inset: 2 11/16th inches, depth to top of inset: 1 3/16th inches.

Let me know if you need anything else.

John

nscaler2

Mor/Ryde replies

Well folks, I finally got the hitch thing worked out with Mor/Ryde. It seems that Mor/Ryde did in fact start making their pin boxes 1/4 inch longer that the standard size, :eek: :eek: between the skid plate and the first shoulder where the jaws of my B&W hitch engage it. Their reason for this is that some people who own Reese hitches were having trouble unhitching from the Mor/ryde pin box, so they made it longer on all their pin boxes. Today they realized that they will have to make two different skid plates, and will have to enquire when an order is placed as to what kind of hitch it will be used with. Anyway they said they would make a skid plate and king pin to STANDARD size and ship it to me. This SHOULD solve the problem of the non standard king pin size currently being used. So, if you are considering ordering a Mor/Ryde pin box to use with a B&W hitch, make SURE they know what it is going to be used with to avoid the mess that we have just gone through. To those who responded to this thread to help THANK YOU None