mouse problem 2011 3185 Big Horn

This trailer is low to the ground unlike any other rv we owned. Last summer we had mice, so we put steel wool around the openings under the sinks, sealed under the slideouts to the best of our ability. Installed the electric plug ins to deter mice, put out boxes of mouse bait (which they ate) in the basement,outside shower, under the sinks ...you name it we tried it. Sticky traps solved the problem at the time. By summer's end they were gone. Before we stored the trailer for the winter inside an airplane hangar we put Bounce dryer sheets and bay leaves throughout the rig. The pests have returned to our dismay and I'm at my wits end! Anyone else with the same problem? How can this be solved? Love to hear any suggestions .
Thanks
Brenda & Wendell

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I found the mice used the Bounce sheets for TP. I sealed every hole I could find with expanding foam, using pieces of window screen to span larger openings and hold the foam. In the front compartment, I used foam and screen to seal off the space between the wall and framing. I wrap soft foam around the front jacks, stuffing it into the openings in the floor plan. In the UDC, I made a foam donut to seal off the hose coming into it. And in a lot of other places, including openings in the kitchen counter base, I stuffed steel wool. I also have the ultrasonic devices, one in the kitchen counter, under the overhang, and another in the basement.

Rather than one, I employ two mobile rodent detection/entrapment devices when we're at the rig. Unfortunately, they go on strike while the rig's in storage and won't report for duty. And I don't trust them enough to leave them with the keys and food. They've been known to set off the house burglar alarm trying to get their bottle of treats off the kitchen counter when we weren't home.

But, I've added another deterent last week. I sprayed the entire frame and supports with a product called Mouse-Free. It's supposed to keep them, and crawling insects, off for an entire year before needing to be reapplied. Information sounds good, but we'll see how it goes this summer at our seasonal site. And the stuff's not cheap, but mouse damage is more expensive.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We use this when we are not camping. You say that your BH is lower to ground that others you have had. Our Horn is quite high off the ground.

Attachments

• crazy cat 017 (Medium).jpg
    crazy cat 017 (Medium).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for your information, its greatly appreciated. By the way where do you buy "Mouse-Free" ? Being in Cape Breton N.S. it may be something I'll have to order on-line.
Brenda

I should clarify "low to the ground", the sewer pipe is low and I think it could be a highway for rhodents. The rest of the rig is high off the ground. Love the Cat!!:)
Brenda

JohnDar

Thanks so much John, I'm going to check this out right now!
Brenda & Wendell

Just remember I warned that it's a bit pricey. I bought 2 gallons and got the spray gun, since I didn't have one. They say a gallon will do a 24 ft rig, but I did my entire 39ft frame with a substantial coating and only used about 3/4 of a gallon. I did inquire about shelf life and was told that so long as the container was kept closed, it was indefinite. In the container, it has a gel-like consistency, but sprays quite cleanly. Unlike paint, overspray was not a problem and I used a small 3-gallon air nailer compressor set to 55 psi to supply the gun.

Cdn. price shows 99.99 for 4 litres. I would willingly pay that to keep my sanity. I found out we have a dealer here that sells this product, I'm calling them in the morning. We have nothing to lose by trying it and we'll smell good in the process;) Thanks for the link. Happy Camping!
Brenda & Wendell

JohnDar

Cdn. price shows 99.99 for 4 litres. I would willingly pay that to keep my sanity. I found out we have a dealer here that sells this product, I'm calling them in the morning. We have nothing to lose by trying it and we'll smell good in the process;) Thanks for the link. Happy Camping!
Brenda & Wendell

It's actually very low odor, even in the gel form. But I suspect low crawlers get a real snoot full and the slipperiness of it is a big deterent. It remains oily (but non-drip) after application and does not fully dry, so it can collect dirt and dust. The manufacturer told me that also would not affect its properties.

CliffP

I found the mice used the Bounce sheets for TP. I sealed every hole I could find with expanding foam, using pieces of window screen to span larger openings and hold the foam. In the front compartment, I used foam and screen to seal off the space between the wall and framing. I wrap soft foam around the front jacks, stuffing it into the openings in the floor plan. In the UDC, I made a foam donut to seal off the hose coming into it. And in a lot of other places, including openings in the kitchen counter base, I stuffed steel wool. I also have the ultrasonic devices, one in the kitchen counter, under the overhang, and another in the basement.

Rather than one, I employ two mobile rodent detection/entrapment devices when we're at the rig. Unfortunately, they go on strike while the rig's in storage and won't report for duty. And I don't trust them enough to leave them with the keys and food. They've been known to set off the house burglar alarm trying to get their bottle of treats off the kitchen counter when we weren't home.

But, I've added another deterent last week. I sprayed the entire frame and supports with a product called Mouse-Free. It's supposed to keep them, and crawling insects, off for an entire year before needing to be reapplied. Information sounds good, but we'll see how it goes this summer at our seasonal site. And the stuff's not cheap, but mouse damage is more expensive.

Does the ground end up being oily where you apply it or does it go on pretty mess free?

JohnDar

Does the ground end up being oily where you apply it or does it go on pretty mess free?

It goes on with very little overspray and doesn't drip, so the ground should remain clean unless you direct it there. We're parked on sand/grass, so when I sprayed the struts and pads, there was only a small amount of spray that hit the dirt. Just for grins, I painted a circle around the pads in the dirt to empty the gun reservoir. I was careful, though, not to spray the wheels and had my tire covers on while applying it. Wiped them off with a rag.

If you do get spray on something you don't want it on, like JT or Ultra-Fab Stabilizers, just wipe it off with a clean rag. I sprayed the outer tubes, but was careful not to leave any on the inner tubes. Another spot is the handles on the front jack spring pins. Wipe them off or you'll grab a slippery handle.

eddylives

Another method that we use for our mouse issue's up north here is to place peppermint extract into small containers like lids and bottle caps around the trailer.
The mice do not like the odour of peppermint and seem to avoid it , we do this for season end storage or if staying in one area for longer periods.

zztop

I have had mice problems. I have not had any problem in storage or while camped though since I started using moth balls. I put 4-5 of them on the feet of the jacks and around the tires or anything that may touch or get close to the ground. I have not had any problems since doing so.
I do not put them inside the basement or anywhere in the unit. I absolutely do not bait them. My theory is to repel them and it seems to work.
We do get a whiff of moth balls every once in a while, but only slightly.