Did it! Now what?

Tanuki

Okay. We just bought a Big Country 2950. It's our first 5er, and biggest rig ever. We'll do the PDI next week, and I've printed off a couple of checklists from this FORUM. The dealer's "starter kit" is supposed to include potable water hose, sewer hose, H2O pressure regulator (40psi), 50 amp cord, 30 amp adapter, chemical starter kit. What else should I consider as essential gear (other than kitchen/personal stuff)?

I am trying to order TireTraker tire monitoring system, but looks like they have been on backorder for a couple of months. Anybody know of another name/source for the same system (they're all imported)? In almost 50 years of driving, the only blowouts and rolling flats I've had have been on trailers, and that's too many to count! So I consider that a must-have. Any others?

I'm looking forward to years of using this forum as a valuable resource. Have already learned a lot just reading old threads.

Wharton

I never heard of TireTracker system. Most people seem to use Pressure Pro or TST(I think that is the name).

Good luck on your first rig. FYI: The starter kit stuff is bottom of the line in quality. You are going to need a water hose, heavy duty extension cord, 30a to 50a plug, level(unless you ordered level up system)(I also recommend stick on levels you can buy at Camping World after you get the trailer level the first time, makes life easier), a clear drain connection, extra sewer hose for when you don't have enough. Camping World is probably you best all around store for camping toys(a lot of their stuff you really don't need). FYI: You don't need special toilet paper or tank chemicals. You will probably be dumping at least once a week so there shouldn't be any concern unless it is super hot.

Go camp someplace for a week of so, keep a notebook close by to write down what you think you need then go to the store every day and get the odds and ends. It may take a while to figure out the difference between need, want and frivolous.

Good luck.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Okay. We just bought a Big Country 2950. It's our first 5er, and biggest rig ever. We'll do the PDI next week, and I've printed off a couple of checklists from this FORUM. The dealer's "starter kit" is supposed to include potable water hose, sewer hose, H2O pressure regulator (40psi), 50 amp cord, 30 amp adapter, chemical starter kit. What else should I consider as essential gear (other than kitchen/personal stuff)?

I am trying to order TireTraker tire monitoring system, but looks like they have been on backorder for a couple of months. Anybody know of another name/source for the same system (they're all imported)? In almost 50 years of driving, the only blowouts and rolling flats I've had have been on trailers, and that's too many to count! So I consider that a must-have. Any others?

I'm looking forward to years of using this forum as a valuable resource. Have already learned a lot just reading old threads.

I don't know what kind of sewer hose they're giving you but we got our starter kit yesterday. Will be upgrading the sewer hose and connections ASAP.

I should have read your post before I just posted my latest. We're in the same boat. Currently sitting on the dealers lot in our new 3690. Wondering what all I should be checking over before we leave.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That dealer starter kit will probably get you through your first camping trip, so you don't have to run right out and replace it. Take your time, ask questions here, and you'll get a ton of suggestions. We're into our fourth summer season with our rig and I'm still buying stuff and trying new things. If you try to do it all at once, your wallet will smoke.

rockerdude

I have found that getting 2-10' sewer hoses that you can connect, are the way to go. That way if you are real close to the sewer, you don't have to have a 20' hose laying all around. Then when you need a 20', you also have that. Also get a thick schedule hose, that when you move the hose around, you won't get a leak (very important). Like JohnDar said, take your time and get things as you need them. It's all about trial and error and talking to other RVer's along the way. We've been RVing for over 15 years and still hear of new things to try....

Happy Camping :)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". Hope you will enjoy your Big Country as much as we have enjoyed the 2 that we have owned. Now all you have to think about is joining the Heartland Owners Club. California has a very active HOC group. Enjoy and travel safely.

donr827

TST makes a very good tire monitoring system. We have had ours for almost 2 years with no problems. Like others have said take your tire stocking your trailer and read some of the threads on this forum.
Don