Electric Stabilizer Jacks Switch Location

fjm039

2012 32 BUDS with electric stabilizer jacks. The switch for the front and back jacks are co-located on the curb side front storage hatch. Makes perfect sense for the front jacks but is non ideal for the back jacks. Anyone ever tried moving the switch to the back where it would be perfect?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y3yor3

ZNK

I have a 29 BUDS...I do agree it is not the best location however how else would you keep the switch hidden? Inside the outdoor kitchen? Are you camping by yourself? Usually my wife or I will operate the switch while the other positions the jack pads.

PeternLiane

It would be nice to have them located close to operation. However, at the end of the camping trip one place for the switches works really nice.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
It may be possible to add a switch in parallel to the original switch. it should be fairly simple to run wires from the original switch to a location near the rear. Then you could use the switch from either the front location or rear location.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I watched the video on that trailer and it was Heartland's intent to make leveling MORE convenient by placing the switches together. If you had levels mounted near them, it probably would be.

APT

I don't get it. I like my switches where they are, secure and together. They extend and retract at the same time without me moving.

What do stabilizer jacks have to do with leveling? One should not be raising or lowering the TT with them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't get it. I like my switches where they are, secure and together. They extend and retract at the same time without me moving.

What do stabilizer jacks have to do with leveling? One should not be raising or lowering the TT with them.

OK my bad, I thought that's what they said in the HL video. You're right, when I had a TT, for/aft leveling was done via the tongue jack, not the four stabilizers (which were manual crankers). NOW, I stand at the front of my rig and push buttons on my remote to operate the four LEVELING jacks. Then go to the rear and drop the rear STABILIZING legs via the switch back there.

But, as I said, the idea extolled was convenience for the operator.

Then again, not my bad. I just went back and watched Mike Creech say they were for LEVELING front and back. Take it anyway you like.

Last edited:

APT

Have not seen the video, but sounds confusing. Level a TT side to side with something under the TT tires and use the tongue jack for front/back. Stabilize the TT with the jacks.

Some of the 5ers and motorhomes have those slick hydraulic auto leveling systems, but I would not do that on a lightweight TT.

ZNK

The North Trail stabilizing jacks are not meant for leveling. The gears are not strong enough to actually lift the rig. They are meant to take the weight of the trailer only. The best way to do this is to lower the back jacks and raise the tongue so that the weight is on the rear jacks, then lower the front jacks.

pegmikef

I have a 29 BUDS...I do agree it is not the best location however how else would you keep the switch hidden? Inside the outdoor kitchen? Are you camping by yourself? Usually my wife or I will operate the switch while the other positions the jack pads.

Exactly the same as our procedure. I use the tongue jack to level the trailer front to back after using blocks as required to level it from side to side. I then lower the back jacks until they are tight, then the front until they too are tight. After a day or so, I find that I have to feather the jacks a little tighter to firm up the rig.

ZNK

The last time we were out we had out jacks too tight. They were making a terrible sound whenever we walked too hard in the camper or went down the steps, letting them up a bit solved that problem. There is definitely an art to getting a nice firm rig.