Bedroom Slider Short

Boca_Shuffles

We had a problem that the electrical fuse for our bedroom would trip when slider was put out. This is the circuit under the bed and the adjacent wall sockets. Once out, the fuse could be reset and would function until the slider was moved again.

Turns out that the 120 electrical wire was shorting out on the metal rack of the slider. When the slider was moved, the excess wire for the bend in the under bed electrical box would short. When the slider was fully out, the wire did not short and then the circuit could be reset.

The wire was rubbing against the metal frame, which is very sharp. The insulation was cut through.

This have been a problem from initial build or could have occurred if a service man had pulled the electrical box out and then re-installed it. It was the "S" shaped curve of the excess electrical wire that was causing the rubbing.

I put in a new wire and used wire clips to keep the wire away from the metal frame.

While this occurred on a BH 3055, this could happen on any model that has electrical circuits under the bed in the slider.

Before:
photo-27.JPG photo-27.JPG

After:
photo-29.JPG

bighorn3370

Good catch and fix. If I remember right, this has been talked about before. Since it has been a bit since I last looked at the wires under the bed, I'll do it this week. This is a real fire hazard. Ernie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thought that sounded familiar because I recall taking a look at mine after reading about it. Fortunately, it's not rubbing and we don't move the slide more than maybe four times a year. A section of flexible wire conduit might help there, too.

RoadJunkie

At first, based on the title, I imagined a something a little different for this thread...perhaps something new from Calvin Klein, that is until I saw the pictures. Then I thought...wait...I've seen this movie; //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...hile-traveling?p=139121&highlight=#post139121

As you can see by the date of my post, this hazard has been around for some time and it is certainly worth while refreshing our memory. If you haven't done so, check under your mattress for warning signs of this problem!

Boca_Shuffles

Yup! I confess, I remember reading something about this problem about two years ago (there may have been more recent ones also). I just didn't read it very closely AND I DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD HAPPEN TO ME! :rolleyes:

Now that the confession is out of the way, I would just like to voice my appreciation to all the people who contribute to this forum. If I hadn't read that thread before, I might not have known where to look and might have had a serious fire.

Those of us who have been around a while have probably read about topics on every inch of our vehicles. This helps us solve our problems. While it may seem that old stuff to us, the newer members can learn from our experience.

Keep threads coming because I still have a lot to learn (or re-learn as I get older).:D