Mission Tires

lwfox002

All this talk has me worried about the tires on my new 5er. Do I need to replace them? Should I just watch them?

I really do not want them to blow out and cause damage to my unit. That would be very upsetting.

Mine are Mission TC-108 ST225/75R/15 mounted on aluminum wheels. I keep them at 80 psi.

Thanks for you comments and suggestions.:confused:

fishn2dmax

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm trying to decide if I should replace my "unicorn" chinese tires that just arrived with my new sundance? It seems not everyone is having problems, but enough are that is poses a risk. I'm thinking rather than spending the money to replace brand new chinese tires, maybe I should invest in a tire pressure monitoring system that should midigate the amount of damage caused by a tire blowing out or going down and not knowing about it until someone pulls up on the side of you pointing back to the trailer - by then the damage is done.

What is hard for me to understand is why we spend a lot of money on a new RV purchase only to have to spend even more money on (new tires to replace new tires) for piece of mind and safety. I just don't understand why the RV industry is putting it's customers at risk for a few dollars saved. I know if I was offered the option of Michelin tires at the time of purchase, in place of the chinese tires, I would have gladly paid the extra money for the premium tires.

Pulltab

fishn2dmax said:
What is hard for me to understand is why we spend a lot of money on a new RV purchase only to have to spend even more money on (new tires to replace new tires) for piece of mind and safety. I just don't understand why the RV industry is putting it's customers at risk for a few dollars saved. I know if I was offered the option of Michelin tires at the time of purchase, in place of the chinese tires, I would have gladly paid the extra money for the premium tires.

[soap box on]
Right on brother! I spent an additional $1000 on tires due to the fear of the damage it could cause or risk to me or my wifes safety. To put it straight, it's STUPID to due such a thing. Now I have 4 useless tires unless the factory would like to buy them back being they are so sure they are great tires. HMMMM. I will even sell them back at a discount. I would rather have been told they come without tires than be given inferior junk. :rolleyes:

The talk about they meet DOT standards isn't worth the paper it's written on. Lets do a search and see how many have had blowouts on China bombs and compare that to blowouts on Michellins or Goodyears. The ratio is very lopsided which tells my feeble mind something must be wrong. To take and built a nice unit and then put it on one of the most safety items on rig does not make sense..........................[Soap box off/]...............for now!

tdharley

I too would of paid an upgrade charge if I would of known what I know now. But that would have meant that Heartland would of had to acknowledge the fact that there MIGHT be a problem with the tires in the first place.

Would I have paid 38,000.00 for my unit unit rather than 37,000.00, for better tires included, yes, I would of and would not of even known the difference. Maybe with all the recalls and bad press, Heartland should realize that now and become an industry leader and use it as a sales angle. But since I did not have the choice I am not going to cry over it now, I just went out and did it myself. I sold the Missions on eBay to a guy who was putting them on a boat trailer with much less weight. I did tell him why I was selling them.

So in the end the change out cost me around 600.00 and I do not have to worry now or have the possibilty of damage to my rig. Even if I did not sell them and it cost me the full price I would of paid the extra that any manufactuer would of built them into the price for them.

I guess what I am saying is "JUST DO IT"

sharmulst

I have made a post elsewhere, but we had Mission tires on our '06 BH 3500RL. Just before going to the rally in May Steve was checking the tires and getting the rig ready. He noticed a 12" crack in a groove of the tire as well as a bulge. We had 11,700 documented miles on the trailer. The Missions were replaced with B. F. Goodrich. The only mileage we don't know was from Heartland to our dealer. However, we can come pretty close. We had no issues with them before this. Steve always checked the tires and made sure the correct pressure was in them. We called the distributor in CA and they paid the shipping to get them out there, all 5. So far no word if we will be getting any compensation. One of the other 5 had some questions about it

Uncle Rog

lwfoxoo2, at the very least get the Doran system, you are probably right your tires will be fine. HA, you got the only good set they made!..You can check some of my pictures from April, blowouts are "upsetting" as you said........

fndrbndr

If they are 15" like you said I don't think you should be running 80 psi in them. I believe they are rated at 65 psi

tdharley

LOL

Not for nothing but, the tire monitoring systems seems a little weird. . 490.00 to watch the pressure in your tires go up, then what, pull into the nearest tire dealer & replace them with Goodyears? Not to mention the uneasy feelings you will still have about a sidewall failure. Who ever proved that the tire pressure goes up too high before the tire blows? As a matter of fact if it is a improper tire manufacturing problem like the treads seperating, then blowing, the tire pressure is not gonna help.

Spend the extra money like you said you would of if Heartland offered an upgade and changeout the tires.

Put it this way if the upgrade charge from Heartland was 500.00 and you spend a 1000.00 to change them out, you are really only out 500.00 and you have "peace of mind", plus you did not spend 490.00 for the monitoring system. Your ahead of the game. You can concentrate on the great trip you are gonna have and not checking the tires.

IMHO

Last edited:

RugRat

fndrbndr said:
If they are 15" like you said I don't think you should be running 80 psi in them. I believe they are rated at 65 psi

I agree. The 15" tires state max psi of 65. I saw where goodyear recommended increasing the psi by 10psi if you were going to exceed the 65mph limit on the ST tires. Concern is whether the rim would handle the additional pressure. Interested in hearing how long you have been running them at 80psi and if you have the aluminum rims.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Uncle Rog said:
What is IMHO?..........

IMHO, I believe stands for "in my humble opinion". Nice to see humility out there, isn't it???

Oops! I didn't see that there were two pages in this thread and it had already been answered. Sorry.

Chuck

tdharley

Don't feel bad Rog. I had to keep up with the kids when they used POS on me----Parent over shoulder

BS Blooming Size
DH Dear Husband (darned husband, depending on the instance)
DD, DS Dear daughter , Dear Son (you get the picture, see above)
DIL Daughter –in-law
EOM End of Message
EOoM Exotic Orchids of Maui, a grower many on the forum use
IME In My Experience
IMHO In My Humble Opinion
LOL Laughing Out Loud
NBS Near Blooming Size
OGRES Orchid Grower Rating/Evaluation System SIL Son-in-Law
S/H Semi-hydroponic
S/O Significant other
ST Superthrive
R/O Reverse Osmosis
ROFLMAO Rolling on floor laughing my *** off ROFLOL Rolling on floor laughing out loud

I still don't know what some mean even with the definitions.

Pulltab

tdharley said:
Don't feel bad Rog. I had to keep up with the kids when they used POS on me----Parent over shoulder

Not the meaning I always knew of!`:eek::eek::eek::D but if it works for you:p

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you all for straightening me out with these abbreviations. Sure are hard to keep up with. I like the POS one tdharley spoke of.

kognito

tdharley said:
LOL

Not for nothing but, the tire monitoring systems seems a little weird. . 490.00 to watch the pressure in your tires go up, then what, pull into the nearest tire dealer & replace them with Goodyears? Not to mention the uneasy feelings you will still have about a sidewall failure. Who ever proved that the tire pressure goes up too high before the tire blows? As a matter of fact if it is a improper tire manufacturing problem like the treads separating, then blowing, the tire pressure is not gonna help.

Spend the extra money like you said you would of if Heartland offered an upgrade and change out the tires.

IMHO

The monitoring system is for loss of pressure, not raise in pressure.

2000-4000 dollars can easily be spent repairing damage to a trailer if tire failure is not detected immediately.