Second cable in an RE

ChopperBill

Anyone run and extra cable for a DVR to the receiver area of a rear entertainment model? Easy to run the second cable where it enters the trailer after you remove some of the bottom covering? Hate having my RV in storage and having only 48 hours street time to work on it, have to have all my ducks in a row before I drag it home.

rick_debbie_gallant

I guess I am just too lazey to go to all that trouble. I just simply run aanother cable from the lnb under the rig and through one of the windows with a flat cord. Did this for 6 months in texas this past winter. Worked for us.

danemayer

I've got a Rushmore which is the rear entertainment Landmark. I was able to run a pair of coax lines. In the off-door-side of the entertainment center, if you remove the outlet cover, you can push cable through and out to the corner of the underbelly without taking the underbelly down. Then follow the frame. Drop just the corner of the underbelly near the UDC to. route the cables into the basement and to the back of the UDC. I disconnected the coax from the roof and took over those connectors.

Pushing and pulling the coax took 2 of us working together for a couple of hours.

If using Directv, an alternative is to get a SWM setup. A single wire to the receiver fully supports the DVR. Dish probably has something similar, but I'm not familiar with theirs.

ChopperBill

:confused: SWM set up? Guess I will do some searching on that. Was also going to to the through the window deal but figured if it was easy enough I would just run it under.

danemayer

SWM (Single Wire Module). The newer receivers that have "Whole House" mode use SWM. The LNB is different and there's a power inserter device that sends power back through the coax to the LNB.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do not use a power inserter or SWM. I guess that my DVR is too old. But I have run a second cable to the rear of this coach and the last one.
Easy enough to do, just follow the one that is in there now.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If you already have a Slimline 3 dish from Directv, Amazon has an SWM LNB and SWM Power Inserter for $24 and $9. A SWM splitter (for the bedroom connection) is $5.45. Your receiver has to support SWM.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My trailer had a coaxial cable running from the back entertainment area to the bedroom.
We cut the cable just inside the basment. Ran an extension onto the cable from the rear to the UDC. I used the connector in the UDC that connects to the coaxial cable in the celing for a satellite dish that is not being used. Put a connector on the cable to the bedroom and connected it to a new connector in the UDC.

Now you can send two signals from the satellite dish to the DVR and one to a sat receiver in the bedroom, if you can get a mutiswitch.
DSC_0888 Voltage Controlled Switch M [800x600].jpg

This worked for me.

BC

ChopperBill

If you already have a Slimline 3 dish from Directv, Amazon has an SWM LNB and SWM Power Inserter for $24 and $9. A SWM splitter (for the bedroom connection) is $5.45. Your receiver has to support SWM.

Just learned (new tech is a daily basis) that you can change the LNB and not use the SWM switch. Next concern is when I boon dock I will be running the inverter to power the insterter. Will it take much power, if so I might be better off running another cable.

wildwolfproducts

Wish my pea brain could understand what everyone was talking about. But sure I will learn all this by fall. Fixing up a remote dish for when the trees block our Roof mount.
Pete

ChopperBill

Wish my pea brain could understand what everyone was talking about. But sure I will learn all this by fall. Fixing up a remote dish for when the trees block our Roof mount.
Pete

You need two cables to run a DirecTV DVR unless you do the fancy stuff listed in the prior posts. Only one if you just want to watch regular TV or have DISH.

ChopperBill

Tried to run a second cable to the LR. They way the cable are run it looked impossible to get another up there. I just bought one of these kits and will rig it up in the UDC so I can use my old LNB when we boon dock and have to run the inverter to watch TV. For $35 it isnt worth the hassle of running another cable.

danemayer

Tried to run a second cable to the LR. They way the cable are run it looked impossible to get another up there. I just bought one of these kits and will rig it up in the UDC so I can use my old LNB when we boon dock and have to run the inverter to watch TV. For $35 it isnt worth the hassle of running another cable.

As long as your receivers can be configured for SWM, this will work.

Moe3754

As long as your receivers can be configured for SWM, this will work.

If you look at the satallite input 1 on your receiver and under the connector it says SWM on it then it can be connected to a SWM system,I just put a SWM multiswitch on my Bighorn and it works great on my DVR's and I purchased the switch, power supply and splitter from Amazon for less than $80.00 and installed it myself. If you search the Winegard web site you can find wiring diagrams for the SWM system.Much easier than to try and run any second cable.

back2nature

If you look at the satallite input 1 on your receiver and under the connector it says SWM on it then it can be connected to a SWM system,I just put a SWM multiswitch on my Bighorn and it works great on my DVR's and I purchased the switch, power supply and splitter from Amazon for less than $80.00 and installed it myself. If you search the Winegard web site you can find wiring diagrams for the SWM system.Much easier than to try and run any second cable.

That's exactly what we are doing. All our parts are on order and they should arrive on Monday. Can hardly wait to install the DirecTv slimline dish and SWM-8 and start watching real TV again. The rv park cable here is somewhere between "snowy" and none. Hopefully, if we have done our homework right, we will be watching both our 2-tuner HD-DVR's in the living room and bedroom. Did have to upgrade one of the DVR's because it wasn't SWM compatible. We decided that we are going to put our SWM-8 on the roof (because mfr. website says it can be installed outdoors (power supply inside)). Then we will have the four cables coming off the slimline to the SWM-8, a short trip, then only one cable (and power supply cable) going through the roof into the inside. After dropping all the ceiling lights, speakers and a/c covers to investigate, we decided going through the a/c duct from the kitchen to bedroom would be the simplest route. It's a straight shot to the bedroom TV area where we will install extra coaxial cable jacks and power supply, then on to the UDC.

We're so excited. We've had enough of traveling and getting only 2 stations and it's classic movies. No offense to classic movies.