A/C for bedroom

Sandie

In a fifth wheel is it better to get a low profile a/c unit instead of the normal height one for the bedroom area? There is about a 3 inch height difference between the 2. What does everyone else have out there?

dfk009

We went with the regular heighth a/c because the installing dealer could cut us a much better deal than the low profile unit, plus we had room to spare on the roof of our Elkridge. It matches the factory 15,000 BTU perfect, and does a great job cooling. Price both of them, than decide.

Westwind

I went with the low profile I didn't want to increase the height on my Bighorn above the main AC - my only suggestion is to look for something that is quiet or suppose to be quiet it might cost a little more but it's too late after it's done, when we have ours running is sounds like a airplane. That's common for AC's that are not duct vented ours it direct vented into the bedroom. We use it during then evenings when we are watching TV and shut down the main AC. We like the bedroom cold so it works.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We went with the low profile a/c with a heat strip for use in the colder weather. Works great.

MTPockets

Low profile for us.... That put our overall height at 13'1" ..... I didn't like the sound of that extra 3" ....

Geo

I have the low profile 13,500 penguin, cools great but noisy, not the a/c compressor but the fan noise as it is not ducted. Also compressor cycles but the fan will not. I also don’t like the air distribution box as it hangs down about 3”.
So I started to look & found wires going from the a/c area in the roof to the bedroom wall where the bed slide control & light switch is (that is in my model) wires are for an analog thermostat.
So I decided to make this ducted, removed the inside parts, cut out about 9” out of the 2x4 on door side, right on the other side of that 2x4 is the duct, then I reframed the opening in that area for installing the duct into. I cut in to the duct, made & installed about 1.5” to 1.75” x 8” aluminum duct going into it. Sealed every thing in that 14”x14” opening with aluminum tape.
Then you will need analog control box & thermostat part #3107541.009 & ceiling assembly / air grill like what’s in the living room part #3105935.047.
George

I have a Low Profile. There are a lot of places wher 2 or 3 inches make a BIG difference. Either one will be noisy but it's better to be comfortable. You eventualy get used to it. Another option is to crack the Bedroom windows and turn on the Vent fan in the ceeiling. This moves a lot of air but not humidity. I just use a small space heater in cold weather. these thiongs are easier to heat than cool. Hot air rises and it goes right up into the bedroom.

Sandie

I have the low profile 13,500 penguin, cools great but noisy, not the a/c compressor but the fan noise as it is not ducted. Also compressor cycles but the fan will not. I also don’t like the air distribution box as it hangs down about 3”.
So I started to look & found wires going from the a/c area in the roof to the bedroom wall where the bed slide control & light switch is (that is in my model) wires are for an analog thermostat.
So I decided to make this ducted, removed the inside parts, cut out about 9” out of the 2x4 on door side, right on the other side of that 2x4 is the duct, then I reframed the opening in that area for installing the duct into. I cut in to the duct, made & installed about 1.5” to 1.75” x 8” aluminum duct going into it. Sealed every thing in that 14”x14” opening with aluminum tape.
Then you will need analog control box & thermostat part #3107541.009 & ceiling assembly / air grill like what’s in the living room part #3105935.047.
George
When the bedroom a/c is ducted, do you get better air flow throughout the entire coach? I've never heard of having the second one ducted. They would have separate therostats then wouldn't they?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have added 2nd a/c to 3 different coaches and they have all been self contained (could not be ducted into the existing system). The 1st 2 had the thermostat built into the a/c unit but the last one has a separate thermostat mounted on the bedroom wall next to the closet. The fan motor is louder than the main unit but it's great to drown out the outside noisey neighbors who like to sit outside late and talk.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
To answer the original poster, we went with a low profile unit. i did not want it to be taller than the main unit.

Geo

I’m sorry I did not take pictures as I was doing this project, but it looks just like the rear a/c when you remove the inside grill. I thought I had a pretty good explanation on what I did.
A/c works great & it is quite in the bedroom & you won’t hit your head on the air distribution box, thermostat on the wall is a plus, works just like the rear a/c.

I don’t understand why some say you can’t duct the a/c, the duct work is right next to the front a/c you just need to do as I explained.
Ai flow is good, there is more out of the front vent by the closet but comes out in bath room & down in kitchen area as well.

Fist thing I would do is make sure you have the thermostat wires, mine was in front of the a/c hole in the ceiling opening under the insulation, If some one is interested in wanting more info, please PM me or e mail & I will answer any questions that you have & help you any way, but it works great for me.
George

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We had a Dometic Penguin low profle 13,500 in our Bedroom. It does have a lot of noise but we like that to use as White Noise to drown out noise around the trailer.

We replaced it due to problems cooling and went with a 15,000 full profile Dometic, to get more cooling and it is cheaper than the low profile Pinguin.

Today as we arrived in Chadron NE, about 3pm it was 101*. We set the trailer up and turned on both A/C's and closed the bedroom door. We went driving around the city while the trailer cooled down. When we got back it was 100* outside and 79* inside and they were still working well.

I am not concerned about the additional height. Most 18 wheelers are taller than we are and last measured the height is 12'-8", 4" taller than the Pinguin.

BC

Birchwood

We went with the 13.5 low profile penquin mainly because thats what they would have
installed at the factory.Its powerful and cools fast and it is noisy but we enjoy having it.

Sandie

Well we went with the Penquin Low Profile and it was installed this afternoon and I love it. Went with the newer type panel for the inside and it is great. It is almost flush with the ceiling, not like the older one which hangs down a good 3 inches. So worth every penny spent...