Charging Battery on my 2011 Edge M192

tcloud

I purchased a new 192 back in March and I am trying to find the best way to keep the battery charged between use. It could be a month or lnger between trips and until recently the battery was completely draining. I know that can damage the battery so I recently found storage that has electricity and I have been keeping the TT pluged in. I am concerned wheather or not the charger is suitable for this application. In other words, does the charger that comes with the 192 have built in smarts to slow down and only put out a trickle charge so that it is ok for long term charging? Or does the battery need to be drained at some interval? If this is not the best way do you have a recommendation? Any advice would great greatly appreciated

hoefler

Leaving it plugged in is the best and easiest way to maintain the batteries. If you can't plug it in, just disconnect the negative cable from the battery or use a disconnect switch to turn it off. The LP detector is the culprit for draining the battery. It is one device you can not shut off.

tcloud

Thx for the advice. I also just read about these battery maintainers. Has anyone used one of these and how well do they work?

hoefler

The maintainer will work and is a good option. If you leave the battery cables hooked up, it will not keep up with the draw from the items you can not turn off: clocks, LP detedtor, etc..

RonBB

I keep my 2010 M18 Plugged in all the time when it's not on the road (I bought it new). Original battery, still. I check water level Spring & Fall when winterizing & dewinterizing & have had no issues. The only related issue I had was that the plastic battery holder didn't have a drain hole for water around the battery to drain out so I drilled a couple. I think the installed converter must be a staged type like a battery tender type as very little water has need to be added. Best of luck.