Lubing the slide?

ChopperBill

My slides, especially the big LR slide, sounds like a haunted house when going in or out. Squeaks, moans and pops. Has since the day one and twice during warranty repairs the dealer said nothing is wrong with it. Do you folks lube the rails and the gear racks on these things? I never have.

RickNB

I lube mine and I find it makes a difference in the amount of noise and also the speed of travel of the slide. I guess anytime you have metal moving on metal a little lube will help. I also ues a slide rubber lube on the wiper rubbers helps keep them from sticking and squeaking.

Have Fun
Rick

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
nhunter said:
How about lubing your slide seals. I always have to flip mine out by hand
I spray them down with silicone and does the job. Just make sure there clean and then spray.--Ken

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Noisey slide

The bedroom slide in our 2006 3600RL was noisey and slow. I lubed it, but there was little improvement. I discussed the concern with the tech at Wagners Trailer Sales, Cleveland, Wi. The tech asked me to schedule an appointment and he would take bed out and see if everything is working correctly. The tech discovered the bed was not in straight and the slide needed some "fine tuning". The slide now operates very smoothly. If lube does not solve the problem insist the tech closely check the slide for allignment, adjustment, etc. I cleaned the rubber seals around my slides and put on 303 Space Age Protectant, and now the seals flex when slides go in or out. Next time I will use the spray lube because the 303 protectant is too $. Good luck.

ChopperBill

I lubed the seals with silicone on our Snowriver TC and it made them squeak where they never did before. Took the longest time to clean the lube off until they quit making noise. The tolerances are a whole bunch closer on our TC slide then the Bighorn so I might give it a try. Would you folks use silicone or something like WD40 on the rails?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
ChopperBill said:
I lubed the seals with silicone on our Snowriver TC and it made them squeak where they never did before. Took the longest time to clean the lube off until they quit making noise. The tolerances are a whole bunch closer on our TC slide then the Bighorn so I might give it a try. Would you folks use silicone or something like WD40 on the rails?
Wally World sells a slide spray in there Rv section at some stores that I use once in a while, I can't remember the brand name at the moment. Ken

BigBlue

BigBlue
Chopper Bill
Don't use WD-40 on the slides. It leaves a residue that collects dirt. Use a dry silicon spray.

Retyred

While at the rally I had a technician from Lippert checking my slides. He asked me who lubricated all the moving parts with white grease. I said the I had as per intructions from my dealer. He told me that these parts required no lubrication as they were oil impregnated. He said that every time the slides moved in and out the parts self lubricated. If the slides were out for extended periods move them in and out every three weeks or so and this would again relube every thing.
Retyred

ChopperBill

Holy Duck Butter, Batman! I have a various assortment of Duck butters and sauces on hand. I chose the Silicone spay this time. Slides never ran so smooth. Still has a few pops. Will give them another shot after a few in and outs. So why, when I was belly ache'n about 'em sounding like Rice Crispy's didn't they just squirt 'em down?

Bopper

Greetings:

Just to add another possibility to an already crowded list of lubricants, a Lippert technician who specializes in slide rooms told me that motorcycle chain lubricant would work best on the slide gears. It does not leak off, is resistant to water and dirt and maintains its lubricating function over a long period of time.

I also endorse the comment to stay away from WD-40. It can form a varnish over the gears which is very difficult to remove.

Best regards,
Bopper

2 Adults and two very spoiled Cocker Spaniels
2006 Bighorn 3500RL