Water Pump

Does anyone know how to make the water pump run more quiet. I have a 185 model and it sounds like a drill hammer when running. Thanks in advance.

rick_debbie_gallant

Does anyone know how to make the water pump run more quiet. I have a 185 model and it sounds like a drill hammer when running. Thanks in advance.

YOu could try mounting the motor to a thick piece of that floor rubber stuff. if that does not stop all the noise you could also line a tote with the same stuff and cover the whole thing. Just a couple of ideas.

danemayer

I think there have been past posts suggesting to check the water hoses connected to the pump that they're not vibrating against wood or other structures.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bruce, check to see if the pump has a rigid PEX line plumbed directly to the outlet of the pump. If this is the case, the best thing you can do is add a flexible 1/2" hose between the PEX and the pump to absorb the vibrations. You may need special fittings but all can be acquired at Ace or any good Home Center.
Another trick that's mentioned earlier is to insulate the water lines from each other and where they pass through and along walls using foam pipe insulation.

porthole

Retired
A loop of hose coming off the pump is a big help too.

Although as much as I have looped, insulated, reposition, I still get some rattles.

Last edited:

Tomharg

I have and had similar problems with my former bumper-drag 27' and with my spanking new Bighorn. I sorta resolved the problem with the former with flex hose and anti-rattling insulation, and am working on the new one.
When we picked up our Bighorn, we camped at the dealer overnight then camped nearby to shake things out. The pump made a heckuva racket, together with pulsating water, but eventually smoothed out to a nice hum and smooth flow -- just like the pump in our older trailer, only it took longer to smooth out. That is, it took more water running through the pump (and uselessly into the gray tanks) before the pump figured out that it didn't need to be so obnoxious. I took it back to the dealer; the co-owner-tech said it sounded like all the other pumps he'd ever heard, but checked the pump intake strainer (which, on a new rig, can get new-plumbing shavings clogging the screen) and put some pieces of anti-rattle pipe insulation between all the many Pex "pipes" in contact with each other behind the water control valves. Not being a "pro" and with only one trailer and six trailering years behind me, I argued, but didn't press the issue too hard.
So. The issue seems to have at least two parts: the pump itself (its output should and can be smooth) and the Pex piping that rattles and knocks together when the pump does pulsate. I know that adding a loop of flexible, reinforced vinyl hose on both the suction and pressure side of the pump will dampen out some of the pulsing, so I did that, along with rearranging and insulating some of the knocking-together Pex behind the water panel. This helped somewhat. There aren't any check valves in the new Artis pumps, so I added a check valve on the output side of the pump and that helped even more. The pump still pulsates until it eventually smooths out, but the pulses no longer extend to the water coming out of the faucets and the noise is greatly reduced.
Incidentally, the check valve on the output side of the pump also prevents the shore water from back-filling the fresh tank through the pump when hooked up, a complaint I've read in other posts.
I am guessing that the pumps have trouble getting rid of all the air inside them when they first start up and suck water up from the fresh tank, resulting in a prolonged hammering as they try to force both an air bubble and some water out of the pump. I'm not sure what to do to fix that, however. Anybody got any ideas or experiences that worked?
Tom