RV road service insurance vs standard motor club

MountainTop

With our loong trip looming, thought it wise to explore emergency road service as recommended by several on this forum. We have been members for decades of Allstate Motor Club, which reimbursed us a little when we wrecked our first MPG earlier this year. They found a tow service with a flatbed truck and took it to our dealer (we were en route there already). Is something like the Good Sam service different or better than one like Allstate or AAA?

Sumo

In my opinion, Yes. Most auto road side programs will only tow the truck.
Good Sams will send a tow truck for both.
I also like the smart fone app.

danemayer

Echoing what Sumo said. If your truck breaks down, you don't really want to leave the trailer on the side of the road. Good Sam's will tow both.

gasman

Camp Socializer
We have had Good Sam for a few years and are very happy with it. BTW it is now administered by Allstate but the benefits are exclusive to Good Sam.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Another company to look into is Coach-Net. Coach-Net is now owned by the National Motor Club. This is a company that is suggested by the Escapees RV Club of Texas.

BC

We have had AAA RV Plus policy for more than 20 years and always had fast and good service when we needed it. Fast, being very important when traveling and have an issue. They take care of the truck and the 5th wheel. Most important when traveling is how many locations are available that handle the Insurance you have and how much $ out of pocket for the service they perform.

GOTTOYS

Good Sam bailed me out when I locked my keys in my truck. I was at a friends place in the middle of nowhere. They worked hard to find a locksmith who drove about 45 miles to unlock my truck..No charge. That would have cost me what my premium was for a year...Don

Sandpirate69

I've been lucky enough (knock on wood) not to have needed emergency road service. I had AAA for over 23 years and decided this year that I would not renew and go with Good Sam. I inquired in several states about AAA's tow service if I broke down in some remote location or way out in the country would they tow both. The answer was, not all states honor the RV Plus and they most likely will not tow your rig to a camp ground. So after learning this piece of information I decided to let my membership expire and sign up with Good Sam. I truely hope I continue on the same streak of not requiring assistance, but that day will come.

Thanks

tmcran

Good Sams hands down. AAA left my wife stranded and waiting on service for over an hour in a town of 100,000 +. Took Good Sams 25 minutes to get help in a small town in Virginia.

MountainTop

I appreciate all the quick and helpful responses! We've been with Allstate for many decades. When we totalled our first MPG in Jan. 2012, they found us a tow service that took the rig to a dealer about 40 mi. away, but only paid $100 of the $600 bill + the overnight motel stay we needed. Our TV was driveable, so don't know how they would have responded if both had needed towing. Will definitely look into the Good Sam program.