Tire pressure monitor systems??

TXTiger

I just bought my first RV, a Cyclone, and am attending the rally in Gillette. Looking at the TPMS system from a vendor at the rally. Would like any opinions good or bad about this system as well as other systems on the market I should consider and why? Thanks in advance for all your help.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Well...what system are you looking at? Most do a good job. I have a TST. I like the fact that is also shows tire temp. I guess that is not necessary but fun to watch anyway. It has worked great so far. I have had it for three years now so if I was looking today...I would look for a system that allowed me to change batteries rather than having to buy all new sensors. Regardless of which brand you choose...I highly enocurage you to get one! Ours has saved us from disaster twice already!

Best Wishes!

porthole

Retired
TST? Go for it. Besides the monitoring, it great just to easily check ten tire pressures in the morning before heading out.

wdk450

TireTrak saved my bacon in Idaho on the way to the Gillette Rally when a broken drum caused the tire to rub the shock mount and deflate. The first I knew of if is when the TPMS alarm went off.

Space D-80

PUG

Pug
Definitely a necessity. I hav e a TST and it just saved me a blowout on the good tire after the other went down. I would suggest you get a unit that you can add or remove air without removing the sensor.

TeJay

Yes, the TST system have sensors that screws on to the valve stem and they are light enough to not affect tire balance. The TST 507 system also has replaceable batteries in the sensor. The previous systems did not. You had to return the sensors to the factory to have the batteries changed. We don't have the system yet but will soon.

TeJay

TXTiger

Looks like I am leaning towards the TST 507 system. I see they have new tire monitors with removable batteries that will allow you to add air without removing the monitor. Would this be a good addition for an additional $30 (total $329) for a set of 6 monitors or is the regular style at $299 just as good, ie. how often to you find that you have have to add air? Also will they (either monitor) work on rubber valve stems or do you need to have metal valve stems?

Bksvo

I have the TST 507. It works great. It comes with a pair of special tools to remove the sensors - it is really an anti-theft device. I keep one in the truck and the other in the trailer. Other than needing the tool, it isn't any more difficult than unscrewing any other valve cap. It is not a big deal to remove them, I wouldn't pay anything extra, myself.

They work on rubber valve stems.

Wharton

I would do the truck and the trailer with sensors. Peace of mind is worth it. We check our tire pressures each morning, just so convenient. We run with the G614 and rarely need to add air so I wouldn't let that be a concern. You mentioned a system that was built into the tire. Never heard of something like that, wonder how they do it, maybe a special valve stem?

TeJay

TST just recently came out with the sensor installed in the tire. They seem to be a bit pricy but they may be better. The 507 system with replaceable batteries in the sensors is also fairly new to their line. It's a good idea to install metal valve stems. The rubber valve stem is a weak link especially when you are running 80 PSI and greater. As a matter of fact I believe at some point you have to use metal valve stems because the rubber ones are not rated above a certain pressure but I don't know what the cut off it. I will be running at 50 PSI on our rig but when we had our motor home we ran with metal stems. If you're running dual tires you usually run a long stem so you can air up the inner tire. I tried the long rubber hose for my inner duel on the MH and after a few miles of that hose slinging itself around I had a leak. Lesson learned.

TeJay

porthole

Retired
The 507 sensors have removable "anti tamper" caps that do not have to be left on. Leaving them off makes for a smaller, tool-less sensor. Especially when used on the DRW aluminum rims on the Fords.

I just ordered the 8 montior system flo thru sensors... the easier the better(I'm lazy, and the easier something is, the more likely its done), and less wear and tear on the parts...

Tanuki

I installed the TST 507. But am encountering a problem. The tires on my truck (GMC 2500) run at 50 psi. I can't seem to program the receiver/monitor for any level below 70 or 71 psi. So constant alarm; not much use. The trailer tires run @ 80 psi, so no problem there. What am I missing? Their instruction page is pretty useless.

TeJay

They also have a video on their web sight that was very helpful on how to set the sensors. It would make no sense to have a system that couldn't be set to pressures of 50 PSI. Either the video or as suggested a phone call should solve your problem. Let us know here on the forum your results. I'll be getting the system and my pressures will also be set to 50 PSI.

Thanks,
TeJay