Trail Air Rota-Flex

Country

Anyone heard anything on this new pin box?
I read they're only making it for the Lippert 1621 pin box at this time. Is the 1621 the type Heartland uses?

Country

Thanks for the link.

I was hoping this was going to be a combination of their air ride pin box plus have a MoR/ryde type feature as well, but I guess not...

I'm so confused about all these different types. Everyone says there's is the best. I can't find too many customer complaints either. I like to believe the claims 5th Airborne has about being so much better than Trailair and MoR/ryde in their test they did, but can't find out who conducted the test (I guess 5th Airborne). If so, I find it a little hard to believe and the customer review aren't as good on them as I've read on Trailair and MoR/ryde... If it performs that much better people should be raving about it.:confused:

azbound

While in AZ. last winter I visited a local RV dealer, while there a couple new 5ers were being delivered. They were equipped with Trailair suspension and hitch. I ask the driver that delivered one of these 5ers what he thought of the trailair and his reply speaks for it's self. Quote " I have been delivering tralers for years and have never had as smoth a ride, at times I actually forgot it was back there."

Gary
azbound

Country

But the Trailair doesn't do anything for the "chucking", does it?:confused:
And chucking seems to be the most common problem.

Forrest Fetherolf

I have the trailair hitch-pin 20K and trailair equalflex suspension attached to a husky 16K slider on a 2500HD duramax w/6 spd allision with airlift air bags. Loaded I weigh in at 22460 lbs CGVW. I do not get chucking unless crossing from uneven pavement to bridge or visa-versa or on roads with bad patch jobs. The chucking will occur when the trailair hitch bottoms-out because of severe road conditions.
Those that inflate the tires to maximum pressure and do not consider pressure to load will experience more chucking because of the stiff ride. The total suspension package should be considered and not just one or two items to solve the problem.
I have pulled my 3600RL over 19,000 miles mainly on the I-5, I-15, I-10, I-40, and I-70. I-5 N. of Los Angeles, I-70 E. of Denver and I-44/40 through Oklahoma City were the roughest ride.

Country

I totally agree that you need to have a suspension "system" in place, not just one piece. A this point the "system" I'm thinking of doing is Ride Rite air bags on the truck (to take care of the up and down movement), MoR/ryde pin box (to take care of the fore and aft movement or "chucking") and Trailair's Equa-Flex on the trailer leaves (to help with the trailer up and down movement). I think with this "system" I should have all the bases covered and get the best ride possible for the least amount of money invested.

What do you all think of this plan?

jpmorgan37

Country,
It sounds like you have got a great plan. Get it done and go enjoy. You should love the combination. Try about 35 psi in your air bags to start. That's where I ended up on mine when towing. I went as high as 50, but that was a little too stiff.
John

Just got off the phone with Trailair about the Rota-Flex. Asked if the unit really helped with chucking. The woman I spoke with said the difference is unbelievable. Of course I expected nothing less in a response from a sales person. Anyway quoted me a price of $645.00 plus $85.00 shipping to Dallas area.

I should have asked about the air pin box as I know nothing about them. Does anyone know how they compare in price and effectiveness for eliminating chucking?

Country

From what I've read, the Trailair pin box does little for chucking (that's way they've come out with the Rota-Flex). It's designed to eliminate the up and down jarring between the truck and trailer, giving you and the trailer a smoother, less bumpy ride. The pushing and pulling the trailer does to the truck will still be there. Though, I've read were some say it helps with chucking, it's not designed to address that particular problem (from what I've read).

Called Kara back at Trailair. She confirmed that the Rota-Flex addressed only chucking and the air pin is designed to eliminate the diving board effect. Seems like the 5th airbourne is the only unit that claims to address both.

We will be taking the first trip in the BC a week from tomorrow. I will know when we get back which problem if any we need to address. I'm sure one of the three will be added to the long wish list.