Towing with a Traverse

kane123

Hi, how is towing with traverse as i have a 2010 traverse lt with 5200lb tow pkg? Do you use a sway control sway control hitch or any thing else?

jimtoo

Hi kane123,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of answers soon. I did move your post and started a thread just for you in a better area for information your looking for.

I feel sure you should use a weight distribution hitch with a sway control. It is just a lot more comfortable driving and safer.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

camr

Hi Jim. Where did the original post go? I spent two years pulling with a Buick Enclave, which is the sister vehicle with the same power train/chassis. If I knew what he was pulling, I could offer him my experience if that is what he wants.
Maybe he deleted his post?
-Cam

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
camr, I found it and merged the 2 threads. I'm not sure what happened but all is good now.

Kane123, Welcome to the Heartland Forum! If your Traverse has a hitch and a tow package, on the hitch should be info regarding the hitch ratings and at what point you would need an equalizer. I would guess anything over 250-300 lbs would be best to have an equalizer hitch with anti sway equipment. Towing anything fairly heavy with a short wheelbase can be scary.

camr

Thanks Ray.
Hi Kane123. We towed an Edge M-22 with a 2010 Buick Enclave for two years. The Buick has a slightly lower tow rating, for reasons I do not know. On the GM forums the suspicion was that the front grill gave a lower air flow to the rad. I installed a Trucool (sp?) transmission cooler and a Reese sway control hitch. I would highly recommend both. When set up correctly, the trailer had almost zero sway. You can expect around 10 mpg. 2010 was the first year for the direct injection engine. The tow package has a two/haul switch, which modifies the shift points.
As long as your trailer is within the tow rating of the Traverse, and you don't have aspirations of pulling the trailer over the Rockies, you should be fine.
-Cam