Taming the air conditioner?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Eric and I used the air conditioner for the first time today.

We're amazed how loud they are and how much they vibrate the coach. As I'm typing this, the vibration is making my hands shake. Is that normal?

Also, it seems to only have one speed. Super high. The manual in our packet doesn't cover these issues. The air conditioner doesn't seem to want to turn off either. Just keeps running despite what you set the temp at.

We have a 2013 Big Country 3690.

danemayer

Hi Alice,

The A/C units are pretty noisy. If yours is always on high, check the fan setting on the thermostat. Assuming you have a Dometic Single Zone Digital model, press the mode button to cycle around to FAN mode. It's probably set on HIGH. Press the + or - key until it changes to AUTO. As the temp gets closer to the set point, the unit should drop the fan speed and get a lot quieter. If it's still hot outside, it'll probably cycle back to high speed frequently. But late at night things should quiet down quite a bit.

Btw, if your fan is set to HIGH, had you turned on the Heat, you would have had the furnace blower running AND the overhead A/C fan would also be running on high because the HIGH and LOW settings mean run at that speed anytime the thermostat calls for heating or cooling.

hoefler

You need to have the cover removed from the unit outside and look for anything that may be on the fan, motor shaft, etc.. If it is really vibrating that much, you will find a wasp's nest on it some where. Make sure you reach in and check the condenser side of the fan where you can not see it. Remove all nest, including any that might be on the motor, condenser, shroud, etc.. If you continue to run it with a vibration, it will cause the fan motor to fail. This will not be covered under any warranty.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
You need to have the cover removed from the unit outside and look for anything that may be on the fan, motor shaft, etc.. If it is really vibrating that much, you will find a wasp's nest on it some where. Make sure you reach in and check the condenser side of the fan where you can not see it. Remove all nest, including any that might be on the motor, condenser, shroud, etc.. If you continue to run it with a vibration, it will cause the fan motor to fail. This will not be covered under any warranty.

Thanks. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. Our unit is only a week old, so I'm sure my concerns are 'new mom syndrome.'

Dan, Eric finally figured out the high/low thing late last night. What a relief. Both from the sound over the bed and that blessed cool air. :)

I will pass on what you said about the furnace to Eric.

donr827

The main air conditioner , which is a heat pump air conditioner, is vibrating more then normal. Our dealer contacted Dometic and they would not replace the air conditioner although the dealer thinks that there is a internal problem with the compressor. So far all they are willing to do is to send softer grommets. We will see if this helps.
Don

hoefler

Thanks. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. Our unit is only a week old, so I'm sure my concerns are 'new mom syndrome.'

Dan, Eric finally figured out the high/low thing late last night. What a relief. Both from the sound over the bed and that blessed cool air. :)

I will pass on what you said about the furnace to Eric.

It may only be a week old to you, it has sat somewhere for awhile, and with spring, wasp are very active and build a sizable nest to cause a vibration, in a day.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
It may only be a week old to you, it has sat somewhere for awhile, and with spring, wasp are very active and build a sizable nest to cause a vibration, in a day.

I meant hat we picked her up a week after she came off the assembly line. :) but I'll go check. (can you tell I hate climbing on the roof?)

tmcran

Had this happen about year ago. Very bad vibrating and noise. I pulled the cover and looker everywhere. Finally got a mirror and on the very front of the fan shaft was a mud daubers nest. Knocked it off and cleaned off mud. No more problem. Good luck.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Did you notice this vibration and loud noise during your PDI?

I noticed it was really loud. But I chalked that up to being in a small space and in the bedroom, my ears are less than a a foot away.

Dan explained how to turn the unit off of high and into auto. That helped.

I think the vibration may have been the way we had her leveled. She was kinda high in the air.

wildwolfproducts

Only takes a Dirt Dauber one day to throw that fan out of balance. High is where it does the most damage. Pull that cover off and look for a wasp nest or Round mound of dirt. Being in Ga I bet its like west Tn. Those sorry things build over night. While up there I would cut screen to cover the openings and stop it from happening again. I will be doing our Key largo that way next week.
Along with covers for the Water heater and Furnace openings along with adding the screen to the fridge vents.
Good luck and were both in the same boat. AS we picked up our new to use 2012 Key Largo last Friday.
Pete

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Only takes a Dirt Dauber one day to throw that fan out of balance. High is where it does the most damage. Pull that cover off and look for a wasp nest or Round mound of dirt. Being in Ga I bet its like west Tn. Those sorry things build over night. While up there I would cut screen to cover the openings and stop it from happening again. I will be doing our Key largo that way next week.
Along with covers for the Water heater and Furnace openings along with adding the screen to the fridge vents.
Good luck and were both in the same boat. AS we picked up our new to use 2012 Key Largo last Friday.
Pete

Congrats on your Key Largo!

If we could get back to a level parking spot, I'd be in heaven. Lol

I have some left over window screen. I'll get out the scissors and give it a whirl.

Birchwood

The main A/C in our Pinehurst is not that noisy especially when the main outlet is
closed and its blowing through the many vents.The Penquin in our bedroom is another story
as it sounds like a train coming through.We love our Penquin though as it rapidly cools
our bedroom before we retire for the night and then the main A/C takes over and keeps the
temp nice.The only concern is when the outside temps are above 90 f and then both A/C,s
are on full tilt.