satellite question

bsnyder32

Hey everyone. I am new to satellite on the rv. I have a new dishnetwork receiver, dish and tripod. What all cables do I need to get it working since there is none coming out of the back of the dish?

danemayer

Hi bsnyder,

You didn't mention what type of rig you have, but the general answer is that you'll need at least 1 piece of RG-6 Coax to connect the dish to the external connector on the RV (Cable TV connections generally use RG-59 Coax. Satellite uses RG-6.). You may want 25-50 feet so you can position the dish to get a clear line of sight when you're in a shaded site. You'll need another short piece inside the unit to run from the wall connector to the receiver. Then you'll need an appropriate cable to connect the receiver output to the TV. That cable will depend on the connectors on the receiver and on the TV. If both support HDMI cables, that might be the best choice.

If there's a short cable coming off the dish already, you'll need an adapter to join it to the longer coax you buy.

Unless the dish automatically locates the satellite, you'll need some type of meter to help find the satellite. Some people use the on-screen display from the receiver; others use a small meter connected at the dish.

Most of the 5th wheel models have the external connectors in the UDC. If there are 4 satellite connectors in your rig, 2 are from the roof (pre-wiring for roof-mounted dish). The others go to the bedroom and living room. If you have a travel trailer, and it doesn't have a satellite connector, you may have to buy a short, flat cable designed to fit through a window.

If you try to connect to an external cable TV connector, you may have trouble because the signal may not get through the circuit board that provides amplification for the TV antenna (they share a single cable).

Btw, I moved the thread to the satellite section of the forum.

Good luck.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
There is a way to make the single cable connection work.
Details can be found in this thread.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30234-SOLVED-Satellite-TV-Hookup-question?highlight=solved