Water Heater Lights

Well we sold our house so now we are full timing it in the trailer until it's time to leave. I have always used the electric water heater but the place where I am at is only 30 amp and with the a/c and everything it's drawing too much. So I have decided to run the water heater off gas. My question is, on the gas water heater switch there are 2 small lights to the left of the switch. What do they tell me? I can't figure out their purpose. I don't have any manual for the water heater. As far as I know, the water heater lights the pilot on it's own so do the lights indicate a problem? Thanks for the help with my question!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Wish I could help with an answer, but I've never seen those, not even on our old 2009 Sundance.:confused: Can you post a picture?

CactusTwo

One will tell you that you have the heater switch on, so you don't forget to turn it off when you leave, the other notifies you that heating IS required and that the gas will come on soon and light will shut off when the gas has ignited and heating your water. If it comes back on soon after that, there may have been a false start due to lack of gas, too windy, air in line and should restart and go out when operational

gasman

Camp Socializer
Mine only has one light. It comes on to indicate that the water heater is trying to light. It has a light in the switch itself that is on when it's turned over to gas so you know the switch is turned on.

pegmikef

One will tell you that you have the heater switch on, so you don't forget to turn it off when you leave, the other notifies you that heating IS required and that the gas will come on soon and light will shut off when the gas has ignited and heating your water. If it comes back on soon after that, there may have been a false start due to lack of gas, too windy, air in line and should restart and go out when operational

. . . or if the little light just stays on when you turn the water heater, there is a problem because it is not igniting.

Appreciate it folks. The switch itself comes on all the time to show that it's on, seems like if there is a problem then one or two small lights come on to show that there is a problem. I had turned off the switch on the water heater itself thinking that it was for the electric only but it seems that it needs to be turned on all the time for gas or electric. At that time only 1 light came on. Most likely the second light would show due to a lack of propane. I guess I will see when the tank runs out. I thought that tank would be done a long time ago but I guess I got more life because it's do dang hot down here in Texas!!