Generator exhaust

Ferd

Have went through all the standard problems of buying a used toy hauler that had bad gas and a gummed up carb. Seems to be running just fine now but was wondering how much exhaust is normal? Ran last night on a still night and pretty much fogged in the area. I would say the smoke is normal looking, not white, but a grey. Tripped the CO detector. Ran it again this morning with a slight breeze and it tripped the CO again. Thought maybe I had too much oil so drained and added 1.5 quarts, running now in the day and can still see exhaust. Once again, what is normal exhaust for an Onan 5500?

jimtoo

Hi Ferd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I don't have a generator, but past experience seeing gens run, I don't think you should see any exhaust in my opinion. And if it's setting off the CO detector I would not run it and be in the trailer. Sounds like you need to have a good mechanic look it over and maybe even extend the exhaust some how.

I'm sure you will get some opinions soon. Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

CactusTwo

Our Cyclone has a gas Onan 5500 and runs clean like a car exhaust. Sound like you need to get to a RV service shop 'cause you ain't runnin' on all cylinders

hoefler

If it had too much oil in the crank case, it would flood the cylinders and would burn in the process. Oil does not burn efficiently, you will get oil residue in the exhaust. It will smoke for some time after the problem has been corrected ( draining the excess oil ). The only thing you can do, is run it for a long time to get the exhaust hot enough to burn it off. If your exhaust pipe is very long ( mine is 35' long ), you may not get it burned out for several days.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If there's no evidence of oil in the exhaust then the fog must be coming from something in the fuel. I would also expect the fog to have a blue tinge if it was from oil
Did you do the tank and fuel system cleanout yourself? If not, I would contact the shop that did the work and ask what was used.
Either way, the CO issue is not normal and needs to be corrected ASAP.

porthole

Retired
What model Cyclone?

Most of the Cyclone's have the exhaust pipe dumping out on the left side in between two slides. If you don't have a sufficient breeze, or just a little breeze blowing in the wrong direction, (like from the Genny exhaust to the right rear corner) then getting a CO alarm is normal.
Since CO is a huge negative to the quality of life, you need to open the windows, shut the Genny down and air out the trailer.

One option is to use something like the "Gen-Turi" exhaust pipe.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-Gen-Turi-Generator-Exhaust/dp/B000BUU5XG
http://www.google.com/search?q=gen+...5jrCKqI6AGx3_l-&ved=0CG0QsAQ&biw=1680&bih=842

If you are going to use the Genny a lot I would also suggest a second CO detector in the bedroom, especially if you sleep with the door closed.

As to your "smoke", what does it look like on a clear low humidity day? You should not see smoke. If you are going to run it to try and burn anything out that may be in the exhaust, load it up, AC's on, water heater, portable electric heater etc.

PUG

Pug
have you flushed your fuel tank out? sounds like something may be in fuel or carb running way to rich. my 5500 does not smoke or make a haze at all.

Ferd

Sounds like it could be either a valve seal or reed valve. Never heard of a reed valve. In the shop now for a compression test and cylinder leak down test? Hopefully will get out of there under $350. Will let you know.