Choosing an RV

Ann_Mayer

When selecting our RV, I looked for opposing slides in the living area, an open floorplan that allowed for two-way traffic (in the living area as well as bedroom/bathroom), a neutral color scheme so I could choose accent colors, windows on all sides, plenty of storage and a retractable TV. The Landmark Rushmore had everything we wanted! We love our RV and enjoy traveling for weeks at a time.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ann
Welcome to the Heartland family from another Texan. Glad you are enjoying the Landmark.

We are in Melissa TX for the end of the year to visit family for the holidays. Where in Texas do you hail from?

BC

AnnR

I agree about the color scheme. I've seen some posters complain about the boring neutrals, but it's so much easier to start with the neutrals and add some accents. I saw some TTs with very stark black/red/gray graphic color schemes inside - not a relaxing look! Plus I have to say having 2 dogs the neutral colors hide the dog hair pretty well. Happy Camping!

maryann4

I hear that with hidding the dog hairs. The dark colors do get boring but you can put some nice bright spring colors in, and in the winter still use fall and winter colors. We took our couch out and added two recliners which really helped with all the design. solid is so much better not to mention the comfort.

danemayer

Hi Maryann4,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of great information here along with a bunch of friendly people. Thanks for sharing.

ParkIt

Really love the brighter colors in the kitchen of our 3500RL and wrought iron work, there has been plenty of things from the house that match spot on in the 5er. The one thing is where they put the recliners and couch, its backwards from where the TV/entertainment center is! The couch was a bit small even for me so I found a chaise at Macy's clearance center...it doesn't have the storage but the ottoman from the house does and it all matches nicely plus its lighter weight. I also picked up some couch and chair throw on lightweight covers to change the look during the seasons and will be adding window coverings soon when I find the right colors and pattern. The current ones aren't bad but they don't full close over the windows which would have been a nicer option though it does make it easier to 'customize' what we have in our unit. Maybe the funny part is we upgraded the interior of our house in 2007 using almost the exact same fixtures in the unit, made moving things from the house into it a lot easier in size and colors.

The big thing for me was the floor plan - I prefer to have a larger wardrobe and separate washer/dryer closet and not have the bathroom in the bedroom! We also use our computers a lot so having a functional work space was more important than a larger flat screen as we rarely watch TV as it is. That was important to stay in budget with quality - I don't want to have to give up one for the other or get so buried we don't have funds to take off when we want. I wonder why the floor plan we have hasn't been a big seller if that is the case as HeartLand has only done a limited production of what we wanted and purchased?
The only thing I miss going from an RV to a towable is the basement space. Eventually we'll figure that out but it seems more could have been put in the back without compromising living space...just my 2¢ :)

Tom-Kathi

Our big things were counter space in the kitchen area and a king bed. I did not want a notoriously small RV bed to try and sleep on.

Theresau

Ditto on open floorplan - reason we liked the 3251 TS BC - especially since the island can be moved around to give add'l living space if needed. It was also a must for our kitchen to be accessible while traveling - another reason we chose this model (and our 2010 BH). We also liked having direct access to the bath from the bedroom as our 2010 BH (via sliding door) had but were willing to give this up for the larger shower and linen closet. Just looove that shower.

We only have two small windows in the driver side slide but that works for us - gives us more privacy from that side.

Theresa

When selecting our RV, I looked for opposing slides in the living area, an open floorplan that allowed for two-way traffic (in the living area as well as bedroom/bathroom), a neutral color scheme so I could choose accent colors, windows on all sides, plenty of storage and a retractable TV. The Landmark Rushmore had everything we wanted! We love our RV and enjoy traveling for weeks at a time.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Just do yourself a favor and order it with the 17.5" wheels with the Goodyear G114's now instead of trying to do it later. It will save you a ton of heartache and money in the long run. IMHO :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The only reason we got the Trail Runner that we did was the rear kitchen.

The second we stepped foot inside it at the dealership . . . my wife said "This is the one!"

We didn't buy it that day as we were just driving home from a weekend stay up in Estes Park, Colorado (without the camper), and just stopped to see what was out there.

We thought about it all summer . . . and three months later we bought it!

It lacks some counter space, but that is made up for by the fact that since the kitchen is along the back wall, when cooking, she is not blocking the whole center of the trailer, which was a big problem in our old trailer that had the kitchen along the side wall just opposite of the entrance door.

We started out looking to get a smaller trailer than our old 1978 Coachman 24-footer, since our friends that used to go with us (along with their kids and grand kids) moved out of state, but ended up getting a larger, more spacious one (28-footer)!

The old one was designed to pack as many people in it as possible (slept eight comfortably), where the Trailer Runner is more comfy and open for two to four people with lots of room to move around in.

Click on photos below (excuse the mess - this was our trial run on Christmas Day 2012 and the trailer had already been winterized, it was snowing and below zero outside):

Campout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpg Campout2012-PC250007.jpg Campout2012-PC270054.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

TXSWICK

Has anyone had experience with the Heartland Cedar Ridge TT - We are ready to move up from an MPG and looking at fifth wheels but this looks interesting - concerned about the patio doors during travel. Thanks

TXSWICK

Thanks for mentioning the bath. We have been researching and looking at 5ers and I am not excited about the Closet Toilet and the shower in the bedroom. If you know of specific models with a full separate bath that would be appreciated info.

ncc1701e

Thanks for mentioning the bath. We have been researching and looking at 5ers and I am not excited about the Closet Toilet and the shower in the bedroom. If you know of specific models with a full separate bath that would be appreciated info.
There are a couple Sundance Models with full baths not split in the bedroom. You might look at the Sundance 3310CL (which I can attest to being very nice) and the 3310MK (say this one at the factory in June, pretty nice).

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm pretty sure the Cedar Ridge was designed as a seasonal site trailer, not really designed for traveling up and down highways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RanCarr

The only thing I miss going from an RV to a towable is the basement space. Eventually we'll figure that out but it seems more could have been put in the back without compromising living space...just my 2¢ :)

Our NorthTrail has storage space under both beds but it's so hard to reach, taking two people, we only store things there that are more for emergency use than anything else. We have for example, an extra set of sheets and quilts stored under the Queen bed and nothing stored under the bunk bed. Also there is hard-to-reach storage under the dinette seats since the original seatpads lasted only a few camping trips and had to be covered with better quality pads. The plywood platform they sit on is not hinged making reaching anything under them a major hassle. There should be draws on sliders or runners like in the other brands of TT we looked at. The storage over the Queen is also hard to reach without climbing on the bed, the doors opening in your face instead of away from you. But fortunately we travel/camp/snowbird with only 4 cats and don't need too much space for storing things. When in FL for the winter we set up a First-Up with windscreens and keep a lot of things that would otherwise clutter the TT outside and other things in the tow-van which is large with a lot of space for stuff. The NT's cubbies have plenty of space for things like our BBQ grill and ourdoor cooking equipment. The sewer goodies etc.

priorguy

Like JohnD we had a 24 footer, although newer and no slide. It was also only 7 1/2' wide. The storage and beds were good but under heavy use it got real small real fast. We had a list of wants and needs and the North Trail covered them all and then some. The Caliber Edition was the icing on the cake and made it hard to pass up. The second door to the bathroom was a major item on our list as well as a tub instead of a shower for the young ones. So far so good after one full season.