ATF: MPG - Furnace Very Loud

ryanman

We have a 181 that we purchased new in March. We have been out a few times in it and have noticed that the furnace is very loud. I realize that the furnace is located under the bed but when it kicks on, it sounds like a jet engine in full production.

Everytime it kicks on it wakes my wife and myself up. This last trip it woke up our 2 year old daughter.

The issue is not ignition or vibration, it is the "wind" noise coming out of it. The fan and the volume of air generated is the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this normal. I know it is a small coach but the furnace noise is bad when you get woken up every hour.

danemayer

Ryanman,

Check for insects such as mud daubers and wasps. They'll build nests inside the combustion air housing, coming in from the fresh air intake.

kb0zke

Ryanman, we also have a 181, and both the furnace and a/c are LOUD! The wasps and other little critters that may get in the furnace don't have anything to do with the noise (other than when one of them gets into the camper and sings you), but yes, you should have those little covers on the furnace vents. I don't think there is much you can do about the noise, because everything is in that little space with you.

ptarthur2

I had a 181 up until a month ago that I traded in on a larger travel trailer. We also noticed that the furnace was very loud on our 181 and started using a small electric ceramic heater during cold weather. Not only was it much quieter, it used the campgrounds electricity instead of our propane. The airconditioner was also a bit loud but it was only an issue when we we had the TV going because the speakers were on the opposite end of the trailer from the table. If we'd kept our 181 I was planning on installing some wireless speakers above the table/bed.

Tumblebug

The furnace and AC are very loud in my MPG 183 (2011). If you find how to make them quiter let me know. I also went to an electric heater when it is not really cold.

PapaMikey

We have a 181 and found that the furnace was very loud and in a lousy place, right under the bed. We now use an AC electric heater which keeps us comfortable and it is much quieter. Plus, we use the space under the bed near the furnace to store our clothing bags while out.