Items to look for on used Cyclone

2TrakR

Our research has lead us to the 3950 as having the floorplan we like (the split loft beds, in theory, is ideal for our kids). In fact, that's one of the bigger reasons we are moving from a Class A Winnebago.

Though we've had a great price offered by a dealer here in MI for a new 2012, we are leaning towards buying used. So the big question is:

What things should we watch for specifically on the Cyclone 3950? I've found a few 2009 models and a couple 2011 that are promising. Weird that I've not seen a 2010.

How long has the 3950 been in production? Looks like there is an identical floorplan in non-current Jayco and Starcraft units, spooky identical.

danemayer

Hi 2Trakr,

Whether new or used, before you sign off on a purchase, you'll want to do a very thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection. Check out the operation of all subsystems and appliances. Inspect fit and finish. If you find anything that needs to be corrected, be sure to either have it fixed before signing, or get specific written commitments for the dealer to correct the problem.

I'm sure Cyclone owners will jump in with additional advice.

Urban350

I will add my $.02 worth, be sure to check the rear door ramp for warping or water intrusion.

TwoGypsies

x2 on the rear door ramp checks; make a close inspection. Ours was replaced under warranty due to a warped corner that let the sunlight in. You could also check the fueling system and confirm you can pump gasoline. After that, it's pretty much like other trailers. I would get a really good look for any signs of water leaks or water damage. In addition, see if you can test the co-ax cable system. I say this because we had to get several poor connections fixed before we could use the various tv locations. You might be able to use the air antenna and amplifier, but more realistically you could do a continuity or resistance test somehow. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could suggest how to do this. Good Luck with your purchase! I'm sure you'll love owning a Cyclone.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I will weigh in on this since I purchased my Cyclone 3010 used last year. The PDI is the most important think you can do. Things that are Cyclone only related, I agree do a light test on the Ramp door - if it is out side stand inside the Rig and see if you can see any daylight. IF equipped with a Gen, check the Run time and run it - check to see that all outlets work with the gen. The pump station should be tested.

as others have said - the rest is really just like any other used trailer - check to see that all of the landing gear work, slides work, HW heater works, AC and Furnace, Water Pump... Also see if you can understand what work has been done on the RIG. Are there service records? were there any improvements or After market items installed ( were any removed )

I am very happy with my Cyclone and have only had one thing go wrong - my electric landing gear failed and needed to be rebuilt.

Good luck in your search and should you select a Heartland product, the Heartland Owners Group and this forum are a great support network for all things related to the Heartland products and camping in general!!

Kevin

BarneyFife

Its the hidden things that can bite you.

How many people check the water pump? You gotta have water in the tank to even check it.

How about the water heater? Does the anode rod look OK or is it the original and eaten up down to a nub.

Landing gear is a good point. Don't forget the back ones under the garage.

Since you're In Michigan, I probably don't have to remind you to check for excessive rust underneath.

Lower the beds in the back all the way.

How well do the brakes work?

StephenKatSea

We purchased a previously owned 08' BH two years ago. Our non-BH dealer performed a VERY good PDI. The ONLY item with which we've had problems, and they were BIG, was the VBCV (vacuum breaker check valve) which Heartland factory installed, sight unseen, within the bathroom wall! ! I truly doubt that our non-BH dealer had ANY knowledge of this ridiculous site of installation, as chosen at the factory by Heartland. Although we have confronted this situation openly on this forum, Heartland has yet to comment on it. The electrical items (invertor etc), also factory installed directly beneath this likely to leak valve, which was hidden within the wall in 08', are quite costly. To my knowledge, NO mention of Heartland's replacement of these potential and costly "water damaged" items has EVER been addressed by Heartland, on this forum.

danemayer

ridiculous site of installation
Long ago I serviced copiers and we used to have a problem with used toner falling onto one of the mirrors, making the copies look bad. One of my co-workers observed that this seemed to be a poor design, a lot like God putting your mouth right underneath your runny nose.:p

2TrakR

Great suggestions, really appreciate it. Bought our current RV 8 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty on the "things to check" for a new trailer purchase. Looks like time to make a list!

porthole

Retired
! I truly doubt that our non-BH dealer had ANY knowledge of this ridiculous site of installation, as chosen at the factory by Heartland.

I'm sure your dealer, if he was worth his salt, knew that the valve could be there, it is on many makes of RV trailers.
And if they didn't know, they should at least know, somewhere between the black tank flush and the tank, if there is an interior vertical wall high enough close to the tank, then the valve will most likely be there.

truknutt

Committed Member
Make sure that the 3950 has 16" tires and 6K axles on it. There were many problems with the 15"/ 5200 lb axle combo. I know that model year 2009 was the year that the change was made on the 3210s as I had one of each delivered to me.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We purchased a previously owned 08' BH two years ago. Our non-BH dealer performed a VERY good PDI. The ONLY item with which we've had problems, and they were BIG, was the VBCV (vacuum breaker check valve) which Heartland factory installed, sight unseen, within the bathroom wall! ! I truly doubt that our non-BH dealer had ANY knowledge of this ridiculous site of installation, as chosen at the factory by Heartland. Although we have confronted this situation openly on this forum, Heartland has yet to comment on it. The electrical items (invertor etc), also factory installed directly beneath this likely to leak valve, which was hidden within the wall in 08', are quite costly. To my knowledge, NO mention of Heartland's replacement of these potential and costly "water damaged" items has EVER been addressed by Heartland, on this forum.

The location of the black tank flush vacuum break has long since been changed, and is now located behind the shower access disk....we too have an '08 and have replaced the vacuum break. It was a simple process to remove the wall of the cabinet inside, replace the valve and re-install the panel. It is also a simple modification to move the invertor out of harm's way...JMHO.

2TrakR

Would the 6K axles be on the build sheet or is there some other way to tell? Just looked at an 09, which did have 16" wheels, but they didn't look original... They were aluminum with 1" holes, maybe that was an upgrade option or maybe I've not seen enough 2009s to know. I didn't see anything on the axles themselves.

This particular one was pretty rough (just horribly filthy inside) and not even 10K less than what we were quoted OTD for a new 2012 - and so no longer on our list.

Bksvo

I was looking for used, and bought new. With the financing available on new units, it was cheaper buying new. If you are a cash buyer, then that isn't a factor, of course.

Also, I noticed even the bottom line price I was able to get on a new 3800 is closed to the price folks are asking for campers 1-2 years old.

Dennist

atving and camping...
The axles have stickers on the rear of the tubes. Get on your hands and knees and look for such. Our 5200 lb stickers are still on tubes after 12k miles or so. No winter driving, well not much anyway. We upgraded the wheels and tires to BFG LT rib tread and she rides oh so much better.

Items to look at: The slides, the flooring where the slides ride upon, always the roof, get up the ladder and walk around on it. As other posters said: the water pump, has to work with water, the hot water tank, make sure it heats, run the generator, these 5500 units are fickle. They need to be run ever month or so and ran dry with stable in the fuel. I have a 5 gallon tank that I use to dose up the stable from the pump next to the gen. Smell the gas in the fueling station. If its varnishy make em flush it if your buying from a dealer. Never run old gas in the generator!

If your buying from up in Muskegon, pack a lunch and take nothing with a grain of salt. They are salesmen, period. (I know, we purchased a unit from them, they had the monies on Friday, had a week to fix a list I left them and had a 10am Sat appt for a walk through. We were there until 4pm as they had fixed nothing!!!!!!) Almost left with out trade in, but did not, wished I had as the upgrade to 16" tires and rims was just less than 1200.00. All in all we like our 4012, but campers are throw together on a budget to make them lots of money.

StephenKatSea

As "Barney Fife" stated in his previous post, "It is the hidden things that can bite you". We love our BH 3670 and are fortunate to spend many months a year in it. I don't mean to "beat a dead horse", but when someone asks what they should look for when buying a used BH, I feel the previous improper location of the VBCV is something that needs to be passed on.
1) In what year was the re-location (remedy of a previous factory mistake) accomplished?
2) After paying Many Thousands of dollars for an RV, one shouldn't have to remove a wall to remedy a gross mistake made by the factory.
3) According to the "small print" in the Wiki on this valve, RV industry standards dictate that it should NOT be located in a hidden spot where the normal function (leaking of water) cannot be readily observed.
4) I'm sorry, no one is perfect. Heartland clearly "dropped the ball" on this one. And, any potential buyer of a previously owned Heartland RV deserves to know of this possibility.
5) I would have to question, just how many other RV manufacturers failed to follow industry standards concerning this item?
6) Has anyone REALLY had a dealer, BH or otherwise, worn of this possible problem due to the factory's errant location of a VBCV?

Bottom line - We love our BH, but it is NOT perfect.