Step ratings?

wildwolfproducts

Anyone know how much weight the 4 fold out steps on the Landmarks are rated for? Can't find this anywhere. Have a good friend that is big, we hope to take him on a trip with us next year. But not sure how much weight the steps can handle?
Pete

GOTTOYS

Not sure of the weight rating. I'm no shrinking violet myself and haven't managed to break my 3 step unit yet. You could put some blocking under the bottom step to help support it and you would be okay. They also make some small metal adjustable jacks just for this....Don

rick_debbie_gallant

Anyone know how much weight the 4 fold out steps on the Landmarks are rated for? Can't find this anywhere. Have a good friend that is big, we hope to take him on a trip with us next year. But not sure how much weight the steps can handle?
Pete

I weigh in at about 21.4285714 stone give or take a pebble or two. :eek: And when I carry in the groceries or carry my beautiful wife over the threshold then it goes up at least another 10 stones or so.

wildwolfproducts

I weigh in at about 21.4285714 stone give or take a pebble or two. :eek: And when I carry in the groceries or carry my beautiful wife over the threshold then it goes up at least another 10 stones or so.

Guessing thats about 300 lbs?

Buddy is over 400 lbs. And only way he will see the west is with us. so were planning taking him along with us. Plus told him he could drive. LOL
Pete

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would suggest building a couple of wooden supports to put under the steps, maybe one on the lower step and one on the third step up to help support the additional load. I'm 250 and mine "wobble" a little when I go up and down them.

Gizzy

Our BH had a 3 step entry when we got it and I installed a 4 step because of the 7" rise verses the 9"(bad knees). I didn't like the fact that it extended much further than the 3 step and didn't feel all that secure when the lower step had weight put on it. I installed one of those supports that bolt on and swings down to the ground giving more support. I just felt there was too much stress on the steps and felt the support might head off a future problem.

jpajax

The best mod that I made for my camper was a set wooden steps. There are several on this site that have a set and I know that they will agree that they are stronger and it is much much easer getting in the unit with them.

Attachments

• 0822101332a.jpg
    0822101332a.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 0822101332.jpg
    0822101332.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 57

wildwolfproducts

I would suggest building a couple of wooden supports to put under the steps, maybe one on the lower step and one on the third step up to help support the additional load. I'm 250 and mine "wobble" a little when I go up and down them.

I'm 256lbs and ours does great with that, Even a fishing buddy of mine thats 300 lbs and 6ft 7" tall they are solid. But just wonder when you start pulling 400 lbs up those same steps. I did dig out a set of screw jack stands for RV's and they fit under the middle step and third step. Will fix a block for the bottom one. Just to give it more support. Not sure about the grab bar if hes pulling hard on it.
But what ever it takes we will do it to make sure he enjoys the trip also.

Like the wooden steps. But think before I go that route, I would just build a square tube frame and fix a lift to help get into the camper.

Also thanks for all the reply's.

Pete

wdk450

My rig has the 4 step unit made by Elkhart Tool and Die. I broke the metal on the sides, probably due to my slamming it open each time. I got it rewelded.

I bolted this support to the bottom step to contact the ground and carry part of the step load. Unfortunately, you cannot fold up the steps with the support foot in place, you have to thread it off and store it seperately. I think I can cut down the foot size to enable me to fold up the steps with the stored support in place. Here is the link:
http://tweetys.com/step-stabilizer-jack-support.aspx

Gizzy

My rig has the 4 step unit made by Elkhart Tool and Die. I broke the metal on the sides, probably due to my slamming it open each time. I got it rewelded.

I bolted this support to the bottom step to contact the ground and carry part of the step load. Unfortunately, you cannot fold up the steps with the support foot in place, you have to thread it off and store it seperately. I think I can cut down the foot size to enable me to fold up the steps with the stored support in place. Here is the link:
http://tweetys.com/step-stabilizer-jack-support.aspx

We use the same support on the same steps and I am able to fold mine and secure it with the provided pin. It might be where you mount it. I have it mounted about 1/3 of the way from the left side (I felt that was where most weight was put when using the step) and able to unscrew it just enough to allow it to fold up for storage. We use it on the 2nd step. Has been working fine for over a year. I'm sure you can make it work.

GOTTOYS

Just as a side note; Yesterday I heard this on the radio "There are 300# people and there are 70 yr. old people. But there aren't many 300# 70 year old people." I don't have too many years to go to hit that 70 mark...I need to start trying harder to not fall into that category...Don