Looking to Winter in Southern Texas

We're wanting to winter in Southern Texas this year, Dec through April. Anyone out there have a favorite RV Resort? We're pulling a 40 foot Big Horn so need an accomodating space. Do you think reservations are necessary ? Any recommendations would be appreciated. And tell us what you like about your favorite spot.

Frank and Char

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Frank & Char, there are many places to choose from starting from Rockport and moving along the Gulf all the way to the Rio Grande Valley. I'm sure you'll get many replies. We stayed 3 winters in Corpus Christi at Colonia del Rey RV Park. There are also parks in and around San Antonio but it can get a bit chilly in January, especially in the Hill Country. We also spent one winter in Mission TX. I would go back to Corpus if we didn't like FL as much as we do since we stayed there last winter.

rick_debbie_gallant

Debbie, Ted E and I like the Rockport/Fulton area. We have spent the past 4 winters at WOODY ACRES. We are about 1 mile from the gulf. There are folks that have been going there for the past twenty years or so. Rent is not bad (350. month) lots of activities, a HEATED POOl, hot tubs, suana, and lots of activites and one big club house. Bingo, cards, computers, free wifi, it aint a bad place to visit. any questions pm me.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Dan and I go to Aransas Pass, which is north of Corpus Christi. We have stayed at Ransom Road RV(4 years), Aransas Bay RV,(1 yr) and we are now at Southern Oaks for the 2nd year. Last year I headed up the Heartland Winter Texan get-togethers and we have had great times and made lots of Heartland friends. There is also The Drifters Rv resort which is a very nice RV resort. You are close to Port Aransas which there is alot to do in the areas. When we came to Texas we stayed at Colonial Del Rey Rv in Corpus. We left after 2 weeks, we were put out back near the trailer trash and we could not stand it, so we found Ransom Road in Aransas Pass.. When checking out Rv campgrounds on the websites are not always what they look like. Good luck and Come Nov. watch the forum and come and join us...

rick_debbie_gallant

Dan and I go to Aransas Pass, which is north of Corpus Christi. We have stayed at Ransom Road RV(4 years), Aransas Bay RV,(1 yr) and we are now at Southern Oaks for the 2nd year. Last year I headed up the Heartland Winter Texan get-togethers and we have had great times and made lots of Heartland friends. There is also The Drifters Rv resort which is a very nice RV resort. You are close to Port Aransas which there is alot to do in the areas. When we came to Texas we stayed at Colonial Del Rey Rv in Corpus. We left after 2 weeks, we were put out back near the trailer trash and we could not stand it, so we found Ransom Road in Aransas Pass.. When checking out Rv campgrounds on the websites are not always what they look like. Good luck and Come Nov. watch the forum and come and join us...

Debbie and I are going to make more of your get togethers this winter. Thursdays are our potluck and movie and popcorn night. We just put in a huge theater Tv in the club house.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

We have stayed at Pioneer RV Resort in Aransas Pass The last three winters. It is a great park with plenty of activities and close to everything in the surrounding area.
Big rig friendly. I would make reservations in advance for sure.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
This will be our first winter in Texas so we'll be moving around a bit to 'get a feel for the different areas'. We'll be staying at the Oasis Resort & RV Park in La Marque, TX (near Galveston), Drifters in Rockport (near Corpus) and Canyon Lake RV Park in Mission. On recommendations from many people I made our reservations several months ago....you might want to look into making reservations soon as well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would recommend the New Life RV Park in Georgetown, Texas. Georgetown is about 30 miles north of Austin. There are many stores, Restaurants and nightlife in the area although the park is a quite one. They do not have any organized activities, but if you want a nice quite well kept park this is it. They do have a nice pool and the sites are large. The owner is on premises and is a 'hands on' owner, always working around the park fixing, improving and taking care of business. The park is located on the north end of Georgetown (pop 75000) next to Round Rock (pop 100000) on County Road 152 4 blocks east of Hwy 130(toll road) and 1/2 mile from Interstate 35. Very convenient. Also a good stopover to and from the RGV.

jpdoggett

This will be our 3rd winter in Texas and we stay at Blue Lagoon RV Park (watersedge rv park) it is right on the water in Rockport. We like it and yes you need to call to make a res. www.bluelagoonsrvresort.com . Lot to do in the area and a lot of RV Parks in the area

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We like it farther south, stays considerably warmer, in the RGV. We own a lot in Mission, at Retama Village (check out http://www.retamarentals.com, you can rent private lots from owners), but there are hundreds of parks in the Valley...for all except the most high end, like Bentsen Palm Village, Victoria Palms, etc., you need no reservation...come on down, move around abit and find out what you like best...:D