Formaldahyde Fumes

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
DW and I are looking at the BIgHorn 3670rl. And the new ones that we went into at the dealers all caused our eyes to burn as soon as we got inside them. I was wandering if anyone else has had this problem and if clears up? We're especally concerned in light of recent news stories involving Katrina trailers.:confused:

Also considering a Dodge 3500 mega cab 4x4 DW and just wanted to make sure the weight will be ok?:)

K

Ken Washington

You will get that with all new units and it will get better with time. It's like the new smell with a new car. After a while it is not new and the smell is gone. Also, do a search on this forum and you will find some good ways to help with this.

Ken

I thought I had read somewhere that Heartland used only formaldehyde free products. I know my Big Country floorplan and specifications sheet mentions "R-14 Formaldehyde Free Insulation".

James

AndyG

I thought they were all Formaldehyde Free too.

That is one of the things I loved about the one we looked at. It was a hot day and it was the only tear free camper we looked at.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I really question that the smell is formaldahyde. Usually it is plasticizers that are leaching out of the fabrics and other vinyl furnishings, or the coating used on the wood cabinets.

Regarding the capacity of the 3500 Megacab, I am towing nearly the identical unit as you are and my scale ticket with empty tanks showed a total of 22,760#. My 2006 TV has the 4.10 rear end ratio, so I can go up to 23,000#. However, mine is a 4X2 and your 4X4 will weigh slightly more.

One thing adding to my weight on the TV is the Pullrite Superglide hitch, which I needed when I was pulling a Carriage Cameo LXI and I moved over to the 2006 unit because it was already paid for. One of the other non-sliders should weigh less.

As far as towing is concerned, I hardly know it is back there, except I try not to forget when turning corners in the city or at campgrounds because you have a lot of length back there as well as a full 96" at the back of the Dodge.

Hope you are considering a 2007 Dodge with the 6-speed automatic and the exhaust brake. I wish I would have added the brake on my 2006, but it was a dealer add-on at over $1,500, while on the 2007s it is a factory option for $495 (and that might even get a promotional deduction).

Absolutely love that Megacab! So does everyone who sees it.

Chuck

5catfam

I find that it gets better in a very short time. Some airing out and it is not anything like it was when unit was picked up.

Forrest Fetherolf

No Formaldehyde smell...............................that is a date/time stamp. No smell, then the rig has been sitting around for a while and the next thing you should check is the VIN tag for date manufactured. I bought one off the lot with no smell, only to find out that the rig had been on the lot for almost 1 year. Clovis RV represented only two weeks. Buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We ordered our 3055 and don't have the formaldehyde smell. In our first trailer it was almost unbearable for the first few months and after 2 1/2 years you could still smell it after being closed up for awhile. ---Ken

Uncle Rog

sislv's ammonia abatement process is easy enough, as well as airing out the unit for the first month or so. Forrest brought up a very good point about NOT having the "fumes" indicating a rig that has been around for a while, not necessarily a bad thing, just indicating older production......

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Thanks to all...I did read somewhere that they are supposed to be "formaldahyde free" and they probably are but something was causing the fumes. Any way there's wasn't the only one that day that had that problem.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, when we picked up our rig your eyes watered and nose ran with the windows closed!
Our Annie dog seems to be alergic to something in the Horn, either fumes or bugs I figure.
We have set off foggers and are now trying the ammonia abatement trick, lets see what happens.....

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Rog, did you figure out what caused the problem and did your solutions work?

Uncle Rog

Howdy Tom, it is still a work in progress. I fogged the rig and set out some ammonia. I forgot about the closet door repair so I opened 'er up last night so I can re-install the unit. I also removed the door window to replace the obscure glass with clear. Tomorrow with the new window in place I will set out the ammonia again and let it sit for a couple of days. It has been in the 80's the last few days so the fumes have been a little noticeable, I will let you know............

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just a thought, but it might be the furniture and not the trailer. We just got a new living room set for the house and my eyes have been burning since it came. It's a little better this week, furniture has been out of plastic for a couple weeks.
We haven't noticed any issue in the trailer, but we have one of the Maxxair vents and we leave it open all the time. Even though there is no Formaldehyde in the insulation, all the carpet, furniture foam, etc is made with it. I think it's only an issue when the units are closed up and the out-gassing can become concentrated.
Hope you get it fixed!

soilmovers

Just a thought, but it might be the furniture and not the trailer. We just got a new living room set for the house and my eyes have been burning since it came. It's a little better this week, furniture has been out of plastic for a couple weeks.
We haven't noticed any issue in the trailer, but we have one of the Maxxair vents and we leave it open all the time. Even though there is no Formaldehyde in the insulation, all the carpet, furniture foam, etc is made with it. I think it's only an issue when the units are closed up and the out-gassing can become concentrated.
Hope you get it fixed!

I believe you are right. Whenever possible, let in the fresh air.

Cindy

Chemical Smell in 2007 Big Horn 3400RL built in Oct. 06

We bought the preowned coach in February, 09 and as soon as we got it home and it sat closed up for a couple days this odor became present. The odor is not what one smells when walking into a new coach. It is not the odor emitting from the black or gray water tanks.

Even though we were sure it was not from the tanks or their vents we have checked all tank attachments and found none loose or out of place. No odor emitting from the sinks, shower or other drains.

We determined through trial and error that the source was coming through the basement area. Removed the basement wall panel giving access to the plumbing and wiring and have determined the odor is emitting up through the floor penetrations provided for the tank connections.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what may be in the undercarriage that could emit such an odor?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Websters, could it possibly be a dead rodent? They have been known to make a home in idle coachs. Ever had one get in a car and die? Dont ask. Bob :eek: