Radio Antenna 2012 NorthTrail 32 BUDS Caliber Edition

Barrington

We purchased our TT last August...we've been generally happy with the TT however had to replace my TV antenna last weekend because I purchased the Wingard Wingman attachment to get better TV reception only to find out the TT had a different brand therefore I had to go back and buy a new antenna too.

It worked better...channels I did get were like HD but did not give more channels.

Worse is that I have no Radio antenna on the roof...and last weekend could not get any reception at all on the radio...strange to find none there on a 2012 TT...along with the fact a new 2012 TT did not have a better quality TV antenna to recieve the new digital channels...seems short sighted by Heartland. I see other manufacturers of less expensive TT's with these new HD Digital round antenna's all the time.

I suppose I can put a 2 way splitter on the TV antenna and run this to back of the stereo unit.Will this work?

Lastly...Can't watch a movie in the front bedroom because when you do so the sound is only on the stereo speakers and there are no speakers in the bedroom so the kids are disturbed by the sound when trying to sleep or do other things...very poor design...anyone solve this problem?

Thanks

Chuck

GSGRAPE

I noticed that our radio reception wasn't near as good asour previous 5th wheel radio had. Yesterday I was working on the radio; I pulled it out because I wantedto try different speakers to see if the sound could be better. I have a Genesis radio, when I pulled theradio out I found a rolled up antenna with a rubber band around it. This is the type of antenna normally used forindoors and spread out on the wall. I'mlike you most of my campers have had exterior antennas. I hate to say this is a less expensive optionfor them, but I don't like to see corners cut.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The answer to the radio antenna question. A lot depends on the antenna connection for your home theater receiver. They aren't all the same. Our receiver is a Samsung and I was able to use a splitter on the coax for the roof antenna and get fair FM reception but limited stations.
Because we have the DTV set up most places, I just listen to Sirius/XM.

RuralPastor

That's strange to not have an antenna. Our 2011 Caliber has a 10" black whip on the roof. Reception is good. Can't answer the bedroom TV issue. We turned the closet into clothes storage.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner has the standard POS diapole FM antenna that was coiled up in a ball with a rubber band around it in the wall behind the Jensen stereo.

I took the Jensen stereo out of the wall and unwound the FM antenna, then stuffed it over the window shade over the couch and it works much better (but not perfect).

I will probably install an outside antenna in the off season as it seems that this is one of the many places where Heartland cheaped out on the manufacturing process. :mad:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we had our 2008 North Trail, the antenna was rubber, about 18" tall, on the roof. It lasted about a year, and got sheared off somewhere. Our 2010 ElkRidge has an exterior antenna on the side wall of the entertainment slide. We've had to replace it once also.

It seemed to be a common theme, so maybe they decided to go a cheaper route, and include other bells and whistles elsewhere.

Erika

BobX2

Glad to see this thread. Had the Sundance out for it's maiden voyage last weekend and could not pull in any radio stations. Looked on the roof and saw that there is no antenna. I was wondering if they had forgotten to put one on it. Every other RV I have owned has had an antenna. The radio is worthless without it. Hope they didn't cheap out and cut other corners that I haven't discovered yet. I'm going to contact my dealer and see about getting an antenna installed at Heartlands expense. Who ever heard of a radio with no antenna??

Ks.Kev

Our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner has the standard POS diapole FM antenna that was coiled up in a ball with a rubber band around it in the wall behind the Jensen stereo.

I took the Jensen stereo out of the wall and unwound the FM antenna, then stuffed it over the window shade over the couch and it works much better (but not perfect).

I will probably install an outside antenna in the off season as it seems that this is one of the many places where Heartland cheaped out on the manufacturing process. :mad:

John D- did you happen to do this yet? and if you did..... did you mount it on the roof or on the side of your unit?

JohnD

Glad to see this thread. Had the Sundance out for it's maiden voyage last weekend and could not pull in any radio stations. Looked on the roof and saw that there is no antenna. I was wondering if they had forgotten to put one on it. Every other RV I have owned has had an antenna. The radio is worthless without it. Hope they didn't cheap out and cut other corners that I haven't discovered yet. I'm going to contact my dealer and see about getting an antenna installed at Heartlands expense. Who ever heard of a radio with no antenna??

I'll bet it is rolled up in a ball with a rubber band around it and stuffed in the wall behind the radio/CD/DVD player like ours was!

Good luck trying to get Heartland to give you an antenna . . .

One of the T handles on the sewer drains fell off of our trailer somewhere between Thornton and Eleven Mile State Park on our first full campout with our brand new trailer . . . and they wouldn't even give me a replacement.

I had never once even touched any of those T handles . . . only my dealership had when they winterized and dewinterized it . . . and they of course gladly charged me for a new handle!

JohnD

John D- did you happen to do this yet? and if you did..... did you mount it on the roof or on the side of your unit?

Not yet . . .

Since stretching the wire out along the top of the window shade it has worked just fine and is out of sight, so have just been using it the way it is for now.

Plus . . . I just can't make myself drill any holes in the outside walls of the trailer . . . yet! :rolleyes:

BobX2

I'm hoping that my dealer will make it right. I really don't care who pays for it, as long as it isn't me. That's just dumb to not mount an antenna on the unit somewhere. I guess if this ends up being my biggest complaint then I got a pretty good RV.
If my T handle falls off, at least I won't lose it with the enclosed docking station. :)

JohnD

I wonder why the RV TV antennas aren't wired for radio . . .

It could easily be done and would save a lot of drilling!

Ks.Kev

I thought about trying that........ if I do try that will give a report on how that does or doesn't work!

BobX2

I'll bet it is rolled up in a ball with a rubber band around it and stuffed in the wall behind the radio/CD/DVD player like ours was!

Good luck trying to get Heartland to give you an antenna . . .

One of the T handles on the sewer drains fell off of our trailer somewhere between Thornton and Eleven Mile State Park on our first full campout with our brand new trailer . . . and they wouldn't even give me a replacement.

I had never once even touched any of those T handles . . . only my dealership had when they winterized and dewinterized it . . . and they of course gladly charged me for a new handle!

Yep, that's how it was. Got it out and stretched out, but it is still a pretty poor excuse of an antenna.

DanaN

Once you got it out and stretched it out; what did you do with it? Was it just "hanging out". Doesn't sound like a real suitable solution.

JohnD

Once you got it out and stretched it out; what did you do with it? Was it just "hanging out". Doesn't sound like a real suitable solution.

I stuffed mine over the window shade cover . . . it is mostly out of site and picks up pretty good without having to mess with it, no matter what direction the trailer may be parked.

ICamel

Check out this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/45699-Radio-Antenna-to-Coax-to-Exterior-Jack-Antenna
I thought about trying that........ if I do try that will give a report on how that does or doesn't work!