Road from Cody, WY into Yellowstone - what's it like?

MountainTop

Early in Aug. we'll travel from Cody, WY into Yellowstone via the east entrance. Google Maps says it takes about 1 hr. but I'm skeptical due to elevation, mountains and the reality of towing the MPG. If you've traveled this route, please give us some clues about what to expect.

Thanks!

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I will travel that exact route next Sunday, but I bet your get replies before that. I will give you my report anyway next Monday.

My wife and I have traveled it several times pulling a Bighorn RV. We drove thru the park into West Yellowstone and never had a problem The roads and it is a beautiful drive. in Yellowstone you will be doing some stop and go driving due to the sight seeing and animals but well worth it. I will be making the trip on Sunday also going by way of the lodge. Safe travels.

MrTravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders
Traveled it yesterday. Very easy drive from Cody. The road is in a valley and very scenic. The road is in great condition. You do drive through 3 tunnels carved through the mountain. Once inside the park you have to climb about 1500 - 2000 feet elevation over curvy roads, no switchbacks or too many sharp curves. It is a slow incline and not steep. There are many pullouts in the park for stopping and viewing. The speed limit in the park is 45. Hope this helps.

kb0zke

"Google Maps says it takes about 1 hr. but I'm skeptical due to elevation, mountains and the reality of towing the MPG." Map programs, including those with a GPS, usually assume that you are in a passenger car and can drive at the posted speed limit. They also assume that you aren't going to stop for anything on the way - no fuel, no food, no nothing. I suspect that you will want to take full advantage of those places where you can get off the road safely and take some pictures.

On our recent trip down south I figured on 50 mph for most of the trip, and the leg on Arkansas 7 coming back from Hot Springs I figured 30 mph.

MountainTop

When towing the MPG we never go over 60 mph, so always adjust Google estimates upward. The whole reason for visiting Yellowstone and the Tetons is to enjoy the magnificent scenery. We've been several times before, as tent campers, but it's been a few decades since the last visit, so we're really looking forward to this trip. We're both originally from the West and began visiting this area as kids. That was way back when bears were allowed to roam freely around campgrounds, before the big earthquake and way before the big burn in the 80s. Most traffic jams were because tourists stopped everywhere there was a bear, so we know to expect lots of stopping and starting as we navigate through both parks, though bears are likely to be unseen.

Thanks again for the helpful info!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you have never been to te Rocky Mountains you are in for a wonderful time. My DW was raised in Texas and had never seen mountains. She thought the Texas Hill Country had mountains.

As we drove through the Black Hills she was surprise at the mountains.. I told her this is small mountains.
As we drove through Buffallo Wy and the Bighorn Mountains she was suprised. I told her this is the foothills of the the Rockies.
As we left Cody Wy headed to the east entrance to Yellowstone she said boy those are high clouds... I told her no sweetie.. That is the snow caped Rocky Mountains.

She has been in love with the Rockies ever since. She was awh struck by the Grand Tetons as am I everytime we go there.

The drve is good in all places through Yellowstone, south to the Grand Teton National Forest. I drove them since I was a teenager and as an adult with a popup and my 2008 Bighorn.

The drive up I-90 in Montana West bound to Butte at MM 239 is an 8% climb that will really slow you down.

Don't worry about the climb, the roads are good. Have fun.

BC

MountainTop

We're originally from the west (Utah) and visited both Yellowstone and the Tetons several times before moving to GA. So we're always in our element when we get back to the real mountains. But we've never approached the park from the east side before and were always tent camping until now. It's good to know there aren't any big challenges on the road from Cody. And we know the biggest obstacle in Yellowstone will be people gawking at all the amazing things there. Got our fingers crossed that there will be a space at one of the non-reservable campgrounds in Teton Park and that we can get to it early enough in the day after leaving Cody.

kb0zke

We visited out there a couple of years ago, before we got our mpg. Loved the scenery, but the village idiots' convention was in Yellowstone. I'm surprised that we didn't see anyone killed, walking up to a bear cub or trying to pet a bison. We did get a bit frustrated with the people who were so impressed by the sight of a deer in a meadow. We have them in our yard all the time.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dave
You're lucky. Probably 80% of the country have not seen wildlife in the wild. Had a step brother that fed a bear some sandwich meat by hand. My dad almost killed my step brother.

I lived in Wyoming as a kid and have been through Yellowstone many times but I still love to see the Bison walk across the road. Only problem we now days it is hard to see any bears.

Life is short.. Have fun.

BC

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Mountain Top, I promised a report and almost forgot to post it. The drive from Cody into Yellowstone is beautiful and not hard at all. The climbs are easy enough. If you are going to West Yellowstone, I recommend going via Fishing Bridge, Canyon, Norris, then Madison junctions. We traveled the north loop with just the truck and there are some serious climbs and curves although I saw lots of big rigs winding their way through there. Enjoy Yellowstone. We sure did. Now in the Tetons for a couple of days.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Traveled it yesterday. Very easy drive from Cody. The road is in a valley and very scenic. The road is in great condition. You do drive through 3 tunnels carved through the mountain. Once inside the park you have to climb about 1500 - 2000 feet elevation over curvy roads, no switchbacks or too many sharp curves. It is a slow incline and not steep. There are many pullouts in the park for stopping and viewing. The speed limit in the park is 45. Hope this helps.

I agree with Tony. When you get here look us up, our contact info is in the H.O.T.E.L. section or PM me.