Fuel filling painfully slow?

vbrookslv

I have noticed that trying to fill the fuel tank on my Cyclone 4012 is a painfully slow operation. It seems to take ~2 mins/gallon to nurse it in there, or else it spurts out at me, even on the lowest squeeze of the pump. Note that I am not even trying to set the gas pump on a notch, just that spot where I slowly squeeze the nozzle until it comes on, then back it off until right before it clicks off. And I can't do that with the nozzle inserted into the tank, it would still suds up and click off every few seconds. The only way I have found to be able to steadily fuel is to use the technique described above, along with firing the fuel at the side of the gas fill opening, and getting a whirlpool action going. This seems to allow the air to escape at a rate that keeps up with the gas going in. Am I doing something wrong here? Is everyone else just dealing with this? Or do you run to the station with big jugs, and then fill the 5er from that? Or is there some problem with mine?

Last edited:

Renshi

I was filling the gas tank on my 2008 4012 for the first time this weekend and had the exact same problem. I tried to put the nozzle on the first click and it blew gas out the fill opening and all over the ground. It did not matter which way I put the nozzle in the tank it would still shoot gas back out through the opening. It took me approximately 20 minutes to put 15 gallons of gas in the tank. The guy behind me at the station was getting impatient so I stopped at 15 gallons.

vbrookslv

Yep, that is exactly my experience. It's obviously a question of the air needing a way to escape, and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any length in the filler neck. I'm just hoping someone has already figured this out and found a better way.

WE had same trouble with filling our tank. Our Jayco wouldn't fill past half so they raised fill neck in side of trailer but it stuck into the garage floor so I don't want to do that again. I took a long flexable funnel and had my son hold it a foot above the fill neck. i pump gas into funnel and it flows into holding tank a lot faster than trying to squeze it in from gas pump directly. Still its a pain.... anyone else have any ideas ?

vbrookslv

That's a thought. I suppose the funnel would allow the sudsiness to go down a bit, and guarantee the air has an escape path.

Loco

Check vent line

We have 07 3795 it takes fuel fine. I would check the vent line like Scott said. It is very easy to get to. If your rig is like ours it is not covered in the back area of the trailer. The fuel tank is in the open. It have had my tank down before to fix a leak. I did have to make my vent line shorter right after we got it.

I missed where Scott replied to this problem. So whats the fix for this vent line ? My trailer has been at the dealer since 7-2-07 trying to get fixed.... parts were supposed to been shipped 8/1/07 so maybe i can get it back soon and see if I can get some gas in the tank..... Please explain gas vent fix

Forrest Fetherolf

dually,

I read Scott's (@ Heartland) post regarding the slow fill tank. The vent line may be to long, sagging and trapping fuel, causing the fuel tank to slow fill and/or splash fuel out the filler tube. The fix was to make sure the tank vent line was straight with no sags to trap fuel. If that doesn't work, you could install a larger vent line from the tank. Sometimes fuel tanks with short filler tubes builds up back pressure and clicks off the fuel nozzle prematurely.

Forrest

Thanks for the link. i will check this out if I get my trailer back next week.
I think I will take my trailer back from dealer not completed so we can get one more trip in before kids go back to school.
Hopefully they will fix garage beds when I bring it back and they have received parts to fix them. they have had my trailer fo 35 days now.......

vbrookslv

What I got from Scott's post is that it is a known possible issue, and to have the dealer handle it. For the moment, that is good enough for me, since I have it going in for other stuff anyway.

Deepsky3539

I had the same problem with my 3795 filling very, very slowly. I blew a pile of gas out on the ground when I tried going to the first lock on the pump. I went out to look at the vent line as described by several folks on this thread and found that mine was simply a rubber hose (about 4 inches long) connected to nothing. Is that right? I am not familiar with fuel systems, so I have no idea what it should look like. The fill hose does however have a dropp in it where it goes in to the fascia. It does seem that it is awfully low on the side of the tank. I would think that the fill hole should be near the top of the tank.

vbrookslv

Follow-Up:

So, after having the dealer take care of this (under-warranty), it DID in fact resolve the issue. Now I can fill at a reasonable rate (first click on the pump) until almost full, then nurse it in towards the end, just like a regular tank.

Deepsky,
I didn't actually see it all while taken apart, so I can't be much help there. Sorry.

Loco

Your vent line should go from the top of the tank up to the highest point of the fill neck. There should be a fitting on the fill neck piping to attach the hose too.