How would I go about setting up a satellite tv
who should I use
where would receiver go

any recommendation would be great

thanks
MIke

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have satelite service at home, most seem to go with the same vendor. If not, DISH has a Pay-as-you-go monthly plan that I'm using. If you don't make the payment by the due date, service is shut off. You can restart it just by calling (or online) and making the CC payment to continue. The cost is dependent on the viewing plan you select.

I bought the DISH ViP211k receiver, Winegard GM1518 automatic carryout antenna, tripod, ladder mount, and a 12V transformer for it (the automatic antenna) from Camping World. The set up works fine at home on my south facing driveway where there are no trees, but I had major problems getting a signal at the CG due to the abundance of tall trees. I'll be giving it another try this coming week at the CG now that I finally have a smart phone and downloaded the DishPointer Pro app to see if I can find a hole in the canopy.

Where to mount the receiver is dependent on where you can put it to plug it into 120V, the TV, and the antenna feed. Where you place the antenna is VERY dependent on getting a clear spot through the trees/buildings/other RV's, and anything else that might block the signal. Many use the standard tripods with the "normal" looking dishes, others on seasonal sites actually mount them to the trees. Depends on how deep your pocket is and how much you want to fiddle with the antenna.

MTPockets

We've had really good luck with the DISH Tailgater.... We chose that because it doesn't require electric power to operate liked the Winguard, just connect the cable to the VIP211k receiver. It's also a couple hundred bucks lower price than the Winguard. Finally, we discussed with a DISH rep one day who was working inside a camping world store and I asked waht is the real difference between the Winguard and the Tailgater, and which one should I buy... he said the Tailgater.... For what its' worth. There may advantage to own the Winguard, but we couldn't find it..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
John's advice is very good. If you have satellite service at home you can take it with you. Just put a receiver in your NT. Making the connection and setting up the antenna is a bit more difficult.

If you have HD or get HD you will need a large antenna and set up a Skew. If you have or get Dish Network you will have to set up a Skew.

We are on the cheap side. I know HD is great. I get it over the air antenna when I can, but we have DirecTV and only Digital service not HD. I only need an 18" round dish and need to find only one satellite.

Reguardless of which service you use I would suggest that you use a good tripod. Because we fulltime I bit the bullet and purchased a Birdog Meter. I can normally setup and find the satellite in less than 5 minutes and can extend my dish 100' away from the trailer if needed. Check out this web site for supporting your dish. TV for RV Website. Birdog by SatPro.TV .

Yes I spent quite a lot but it saved a lot of stress trying to set it up. I have also acquired a satellite when others could not.

DSC_0884 [800x600].JPG

Hope this is helpful.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We use Direct TV and a Slimline dish on the same tri-pod Bobcat uses. We have an HD-DVR mainly cause it's so much easier to record on than a VCR or DVD. We don't subscribe to HD signals but most local channels come in HD format through DTV.
I have been using the Satellite AR app on my smartphone to get a basic idea of the location of the satellites. I use the receiver to get my direction, elevation and skew to set the dish. Once I get the info from the receiver using the zip code in our location, I adjust the skew and elevation on the dish before putting it on the tri-pod. I use a compass too but most times I get a signal within a couple minutes of setting the dish.
The coordinates I get from the receiver are generally a starting point and you may have to adjust the elevation slightly. It's really pretty easy. If I had deeper pockets I might go for the tailgater or some auto dish thing but that's not the case.;)

MTPockets

OK help me out.... I have the Tailgater. I have HD service, What is a skew? A birddog meter? I just plug hook up the cable, turn on the receiver and TV, push a couple buttons, the dish finds the satellites while I get a refreshment and I'm watching TV. I have the lowest priced out there (I believe), and it has been working perfectly for over 6 months now. Couldn't be easier. What advantages do the other styles have?

danemayer

OK help me out.... I have the Tailgater. I have HD service, What is a skew? A birddog meter? I just plug hook up the cable, turn on the receiver and TV, push a couple buttons, the dish finds the satellites while I get a refreshment and I'm watching TV. I have the lowest priced out there (I believe), and it has been working perfectly for over 6 months now. Couldn't be easier. What advantages do the other styles have?
If you want HD from Directv, the Tailgater won't do it. If you don't have the $ for a dish that automatically finds the satellites, you need some kind of meter to aim the dish. With Std Def, you use the meter to aim based on Azimuth and Elevation (left/right, up/down). With High Def, there's a 3rd aiming parameter; skew, which is a rotation of the face of the dish on it's mounting. Choices: Vendor: if you have no satellite service at home, Dish may be easier to work with because 1) they have pay as you go - you don't pay when the trailer is in storage. 2) when you sign up, I think they have an offer where they give you a dish and cable, and maybe a receiver (for manual setup). 3) If you want High Def signals, you have a wider range of dish choices, including automatic tuning, usually at lower cost. Dish: Automatic tuning vs manual tuning. Manual tuning with inexpensive meters and smartphone apps usually works ok with standard definition signals. Harder with High Def. Can be easy; can be difficult. Automatic tuning can cost around $600 for Dish, $1600 for Directv. Some dishes support only 1 receiver. Others support multiple receivers. Dish portability: Some dishes are portable and are meant to sit on the ground. Some mount on tripods. Some mount to the roof of the RV. Note that the ones that mount on top of the RV may have problems in wooded areas. You need direct line of sight to the satellite. If trees are in the way, you won't have a signal unless you move the dish. Hard to do that when it's mounted to the roof. Receiver: Do you want to record programs (DVR)? If no, any receiver will do. If you want the DVR function, you need a receiver that supports that, and you may need a 2nd coax line from the dish. The dish then must support 2 feeds and you'll need a way to get 2 coax lines to the receiver (most trailers that are pre-wired have one coax line to the living room for satellite, and maybe another to the bedroom). There is newer technology in the receivers and dishes that uses a Single Wire approach to support DVRs and multiple receivers, but that's probably beyond what you're looking for. Standing in the hot sun: After driving all day and setting up your trailer, setting up your dish and aiming it is not going to be at the top of your list of things to do. That's why people spend $600-1600 on automatic dishes.

Last edited:

Sandie

We have the Dish Turbo HD/DVD which sits on a tripod. Hubby hooks it all up, points it towards the south and will almost immediately pick up the 110 or 119 satellite. Just slow movements left or right will almost always pick up the HD 129. We do our check switch test and within minutes the thing is working. It takes time and patience at first but then becomes second nature.

GOTTOYS

I also have a Tailgater. The Tailgater and the required 411K receiver cost me around $450.00 total including shipping. I added it to my Dish network bill as a second receiver. It costs me $7.00 a month. When I'm not using it my kid sets it up at her house...I get HD, it comes in great. Hook it up, turn it on and it finds what it needs to work. I love this thing. Only downside I can see is that it will only work on one television. I don't need satellite tv on more than one set so for us it works great....Don

pegmikef

I don't know about the 32 BUDS, but my North Trail 26LRSS was not wired for a satellite hookup so I had to run a new cable for it and have to use a temporary shelf for the receiver (I have to remove it to close the slide). I use the tailgater which only gets DISH, but that's all I need. I have been using it off and on since last August and it works well. I bought the receiver and tailgater online for just a little over 400 dollars so my only fee is the program fee of 47 dollars including tax when I have it activated under the RV option. I like it because it is easy to set up, automatically finds the satellite when pointed at southern sky, requires only a single cable (50 foot cable included) (some automatic systems require a separate power cable) and is easy to move and there is no additional charge to deactivate/reactivate it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Although, the north trails are not wired for satellite, I posted a solution with diagrams on how to add a diplexer to allow the factory wiring to be used. In my north trail the coax is RG6 and works fine with satellite signals.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is the link to adding a diplexer solution.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30234-SOLVED-Satellite-TV-Hookup-question?highlight=diplexer