I am a big baby and switching to a propane generator.

trvlrerik

I admit to being lazy and not dumping fuel and monitoring the fuel stabilizer balances correctly, I do run the generator at least once a month. During the summer is when I use it to run the A/C when traveling only. The only other time I use the genny is to run my air compressor in remote locations.

I have fought "sour fuel" issues for the last 2 years and I am done. I have decided to get a smaller, lighter, propane unit that can be pulled out and used remotely from the camper when needed, and pulled out for weight reduction and additional storage when I do not need it. I do not want to just adapt my current 5500 to propane, if I am going to do this I am going to lighten my rig and adapt the fuel tank and pump to diesel for use on the job sites.

I am going to fabricate a new exhaust and intake air port on my existing Cyclone front garage area, I will tee into the existing propane line, or give it a dedicated line if it starves the heater during the winter. I will re-wire it into my electrical system as 30 amp service only as it only runs 1 A/C unit.

I was wondering if anybody else has done this, and are there any issues I am missing.

Thanks
Erik

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erik
I have heard many negative opinions of propane generators, but my propane Onan 5500 has been great.
I carry one extra propane tank, just in case I need it. Trace

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
The only concern I might have with your plan is the conversion to Diesel in the tank... I'm not sure that the tank is rated for #2 or if it was the plumbing that was not proper... either way I would be sure to verify that #2 in that tank is not an issue.

Kevin

porthole

Retired
The only concern I might have with your plan is the conversion to Diesel in the tank... I'm not sure that the tank is rated for #2 or if it was the plumbing that was not proper... either way I would be sure to verify that #2 in that tank is not an issue.

And you still have to treat the diesel fuel with additives - just like with gasoline

trvlrerik

And you still have to treat the diesel fuel with additives - just like with gasoline[/QUOTE

I use a lot of diesel year round, so no worries about keeping it fresh.

When I change the tank to holding diesel I will have to change the soft hoses, and a fuel pump that can pump diesel in the winter, the current Graco pump seals are not rated for #2.

lwmcguir

Our Diesel portable's vibrate quite a bit more than the propane of the same KW. Only drawback on propane is the storage due to the burn rate. As noted a simple conversion.