DISH Network Tailgater w/ Vip211K Receiver vs the Toshiba Flat Screen

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
To start with, I hooked the Tailgater up in the new BH 3855FL in the cabinet next to the flat screen. Everything worked great in Gillette and on the way home until we got to Stilwater OK. When we got there the remote stopped working. After a long session with advanced tech at DISH they sent me a new remote at no cost to me.

I got the new remote and it still would not work and after another long session with advanced tech support it was decided that it was my receiver and that a tech would come out at no charge and get this resolved.

The tech left here about an hour ago and the thing still doesn't work. Apparently the television, while on, puts out an interference that disrupts the IR signal from the remote. DISH is sending me a "thing" that will fix it. (so they say). This whole thing just blew the tech guy that was here away. He said he had not ever seen this before.

Just thought I would throw this out there for future reference in case anyone else has an issue like this.

jbeletti

Hi Rex,

Sorry you're having trouble in the new rig. What's odd is that it worked fine and now does not. InfraRed (IR) signals are line of sight only. If the satellite receiver can be isolated (stand in front of it) and you can point its remote at it, it should not receive any stray IR signal through your body. Therefore that remote should operate the receiver.

Did the installer remove the receiver, take it outside or put it in another room and get it to work, where it was away from the TV?

Or, maybe unplug the TV (unable to generate any signals), use a smaller test TV with the receiver and try the remote them?

Maybe the "thing" they are sending is an RF remote.

This has to be solvable. I know it's driving you nuts. Sorry I can't help more than this.

danemayer

Rex,

While waiting for Dish to send whatever their sending, you might want to try a few of the experiments Jim suggested. The TV will have an IR receiver, but probably doesn't have a transmitter. Other types of electronic interference that might come from a TV aren't likely to interfere with IR. It's much more likely that there's another source of infrared that's interfering: maybe another remote that's transmitting all the time, or even outside sunlight shining on the receiver.

TXTiger

My son is an installer for Cox Cable. He said that sometimes a tv can put out a signal that will interfear with the signal from the remote. He said to put a blanket over the tv and then use the Dish remote to change the channel on the Dish box. If the remote works on the Dish box with a blanket on the tv, then the problem is the tv.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What brand of TV do you have? Can't say I've heard or experienced that phenomenon. At home, we've probably got five different remotes for different devices in our "entertainment" cluster, and nothing interferes with anything else. In the rig, the Jensen TV does not interfere with the Samsung receiver, or the DISH satelite receiver. Unfortunately, the surrounding trees interfere with the antenna connected to the DISH receiver, but that's another problem.

DUH! Never mind. I see your TV is a Toshiba. Not that that tells me anything.

Last edited:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
The tech and I tried all kinds of things, white paper, foil, plywood, etc. I'll let you know what DISH sends me to fix this. The techs that were here and myself have never seen anything like this. But if it can happen, it'll happen to me LOL!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I had this problem when my tv was too close to the tv. larger screens are more likely to cause problems. Move the reciever away from the tv. or purchase a dishnet remote ir to uhf converter. only had this problem with one tv. other tv worked fine. the issue is not so bad after the tv has been on for 10 minutes.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I had this problem when my tv was too close to the tv. larger screens are more likely to cause problems. Move the reciever away from the tv. or purchase a dishnet remote ir to uhf converter. only had this problem with one tv. other tv worked fine. the issue is not so bad after the tv has been on for 10 minutes.

I think that is what DISH is sending me. The way the electric, cable/sat connections and television are arranged, I don't have much of a choice where to put it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The -IR TO UHF convertor works fine and is a quick, effective solution. Keep your old remote as it will work at same time as the uhf remote(But still with the same interference issue). more expensive recievers that are dual tuner have Uhf Remotes but are not necessarily compatible with the dish tailgater antenna.