Caulking/Silicone

robnmo

Awhile back someone asked about using the caulking vs a good silicone for the outside trim and areas that come caulked from the factory. I had posted along with a couple others that I was going to use a silicone that we use for jobs, it's UV safe, and takes alot more beating in the applications we use if for than the RV can dish out. It's been over a year since I used silicone in some areas and caulked others, all the ones with the caulking have again worked loose all the silicone places are still completely in tact, and just as white as the day it was applied. Just some info if any are curious.

wingfoot

I have a disdain for silicon for use on any side moldings..It has a tremendous affinity for dust and it's been my experience, if you don't clean it regularly (tooth brush and soapy water) it will eventually stain the silicon..I've been looking for years for a alternative to silicon.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I've been looking for years for a alternative to silicon.

For what its worth, three different manufacturers I talked with all recommended using a urethane/polyurethane product rather than a silicone. If someone has good luck with a silicone, thats great...definitely use what works best for you. I have not had an easy time with silicones. One issue with silicone...once used, you almost always have to use silicone unless some serious prep work is done. Nothing seems to stick where silicone has been applied previously. For me, the polyurethanes are also easier to work with. It's nice to have such a wide variety of products to choose from...silicones, polyurethanes/polyethers, and even acrylic latex.

There are many good polyurethane products available...a few, TremPro 650 or 626, M1, 3M Marine 4200, and SikaFlex 505UV.

tmcran

I have tried silicone as well and not a favorite with me. It gets dirty and just seems to pull away. Could be I'm not doing it correctly. If there is a brand that does a great job please give the name.

robnmo

What is the product that you are using?

I've been using a product manufactured by ASI (American Sealants Inc) the 502. We've used if for years in a couple major chain steak houses in the kitchen, dish rooms and food areas with all the grease, water, etc. Like someone else said it will collect dust and needs to be kept clean, I guess my trade off is I'll wash things more vs what we've had a problem with of caulking constantly working loose and letting the elements under areas of molding. Personal choice.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While at Gillette our Heartland crew came by and worked on my trailer. While there they ran a couple of beads of caulk and showed me where I had to be aware of water seepage. They use Sikaflex - 505UV.

BC