Michelins

tstammer

tstammer
Just recieved a call from the tire dealer my new Michelins are in, still have to get the China Bombs off if anyone is interested in the old tires give me a shout.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I'm happy for you...I just wish Michelin made G rated tires, I'd switch these Goldway tires out in a heart beat!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's my only other choice...for Goodyear I'll try to get some treadwear out of these Goldways. If Michelins were available I'd dump them TODAY!!

Don't think anyone makes a better tire than Michelin!

Tom of Ypsi

Since Goodyears are the best ST tires on the market why wait until the bombs go off. Waiting is only delaying the inevitable in my opinion.

tstammer

tstammer
Michelin XPS Ribs

I just noticed my new Michelin tires are 2" taller and 1" wider than the Chinese milestar tires on the Bighorn. Im not to concerned with the height its the width Im concerned with the shocks will be pretty close.

jpmorgan37

tstammer;
The only place you may have a problem is making tight turns backing up. Being you have only added 1/2 inch to the radius, you will probably be ok. Just my opinion.

John

Forrest Fetherolf

tstammer,

If you have a least 1/2" clearance between the tire and shock on a straight pull, and only slight rubbing on tight turns, I would not be concerned. One of the Trail America tires was less than 1/2", I installed flat washers on the studs between the wheel and brake drum for additional spacing. Now that I have GoodYear's, they are narrower and smaller in diameter, the clearance exceeds 1/2" without the spacers.

Forrest

tstammer

tstammer
Tires

Forrest,

I am a little confused if I have clearance straight why would turning change the clearance?

Thanks
Tom

Pulltab

Tom, because of the load it puts on the tires sideways. Just look in your mirror sometime when pulling a sharp turn. To sharp could deflect the tire enough to hit the shock.

tstammer

tstammer
Tires

I thought my problems were solved getting rid of the Chinese tires. I can tell you the new Michelin without the rim weighs more than the Chinese Milestar tire with the rim?

Forrest Fetherolf

tstammer,

Your tire problems are solved, now you are running on real rubber not rubber bands. Don't sweat the tires if they slightly rub the shocks on tight turns, just keep it in mind and minimize the tight turns as much as possible.

Forrest

tstammer

tstammer
Tires

Thanks Forrest for your input I am on my way out side to start pulling the old tires off and putting the new Michelins on I will keep you posted.

tstammer

tstammer
Tires

Just finished insatlling the Michelin XPS Ribs, no problems with the tires rubbing the shocks either.

tstammer

tstammer
I just noticed I only have 2" clearance between the tires my BAL wheel locks will not fit should I be concerned with the 2" clearance?

jpmorgan37

Others have experienced the same thing when changing tires. I know that Uncle Rog had the same situation with his Roto Choks. My tires were less than 2 inches on my Grand Canyon and I ran for 15 months like that with no problem. I did have my suspension modified by Lippert to include some updates and that increased the clearance between my tires.

John

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Guys and Gals,
I am replacing my Mission tires with Michilin XPS. Which size do you recommend? There is less than 3 inches of space between my Mission tires.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
The RV-Ramblers said:
Guys and Gals,
I am replacing my Mission tires with Michilin XPS. Which size do you recommend? There is less than 3 inches of space between my Mission tires.
I'm kinda in the same boat, but think I will put the 245's on instead of the 235's. I would only have about 1 1/2 inches with the 235 size to close in my opinion and my RotoChoks wouldn't fit.---Ken